Traducianism vs. Creationism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not agree with him on this particular issue is all.
My point is not that you should agree with him, necessarily. My point is that you don't understand the issues, and that you could benefit from studying them.

The soul is immortal though, so how can something physical like us generate a non physical and spiritual component?

See what I said above. We are in Adam's loins seminally. Our souls aren't being generated. They are being passed along.

Last edited:
Thats a fascinating point. What is the typical creationist response?

Probably that Adam's sin was imputed to us and the guilt/darkening is federally applied.

Traducianists like Shedd believe in federalism, so that can't really be an objection. I don't think federalism alleviates the charge.

Interesting: I was curious why Strong didn't mention Shedd, since Shedd's defense of traducianism became the definitive work on the subject. Turns out that Strong's ST was published two years before Vol 1 of Shedd's came out.

I confess I haven't gotten Shedd yet. It's been on my list of things to buy for some time (especially since it's required reading for students in my Presbytery). Does anyone know if he references Strong?

Shedd is a sheer literary delight. He is one of my top three. He's woefully unbalanced on some issues, but he is always a joy to read.

Shedd doesn't reference Strong. Strong does mention Shedd's debate with Beecher on eternal punishment.

See what I said above. We are in Adam's loins seminally. Our souls aren't being generated. They are being traduced.
Adam was created by God and was physically alive, and then God placed in him the soul, so would that not be the same for all humans then?

Shedd is a sheer literary delight. He is one of my top three. He's woefully unbalanced on some issues, but he is always a joy to read.

Shedd doesn't reference Strong. Strong does mention Shedd's debate with Beecher on eternal punishment.
What did John Calvin hold with on this subject?

Adam was created by God and was physically alive, and then God placed in him the soul, so would that not be the same for all humans then?
Adam wasn't alive before he had a soul.

If the bodies of everyone after our first parents are not created by God immediately (but are the products of natural generation), why should we expect it to be otherwise with the soul?

Adam wasn't alive before he had a soul.

If the bodies of everyone after our first parents are not created by God immediately (but are the products of natural generation), why should we expect it to be otherwise with the soul?
Due to the immaterial aspect of mankind, our immortal soul, has to come from a pre existing Eternal being, as mortal cannot generate immortal.

The 2 biggest reasons that leaped out to me in those links were the fact of God creating Adam to be physically alive, and then added to him the immaterial spiritual component, and also that Jesus being not tainted by the fall and having the sin nature requires the creation position it would seem.

Due to the immaterial aspect of mankind, our immortal soul, has to come from a pre existing Eternal being, as mortal cannot generate immortal.
The traducianist holds that the immortal soul of the child is derived from the immortal soul of the parent.

Which parent though?
Traditionally, traducianists have said the father. However, I'm not sure that that's essential to the view. I'm willing to concede that it could come from either parent, or from both in some respect.

Note that traducianists have never claimed to understand the minute details of how the soul of of a child traduces from that of a parent. There's a great deal of mystery involved. Convinced by scripture and plain reason that his view is the correct one, the traducianist submits to the mystery. The secret things belong to the Lord.

Traditionally, traducianists have said the father. However, I'm not sure that that's essential to the view. I'm willing to concede that it could come from either parent, or from both in some respect.

Note that traducianists have never claimed to understand the minute details of how the soul of of a child traduces from that of a parent. There's a great deal of mystery involved. Convinced by scripture and plain reason that his view is the correct one, the traducianist submits to the mystery. The secret things belong to the Lord.
Those holding to Creationism would see the scriptures teaching to us while humans can produce the material aspects of us, that it still takes God to create the immaterial aspect of us.

The part where only God can create would be.
Nobody's arguing that men can create men. We're arguing about whether men beget men in their totality, or whether they only beget their bodies, while God creates the soul.

You should really try to understand these issues before you start opining about them.

Nobody's arguing that men can create men. We're arguing about whether men beget men in their totality, or whether they only beget their bodies, while God creates the soul.

You should really try to understand these issues before you start opining about them.
I am just wondering whether material based humans can create immaterial based souls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back