The 4th of July on the Lord's Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
[quote:037ed8678e]
The Westminster Confession of Faith, Chapter XXI
Of Religious Worship, and the Sabbath Day

VIII. This Sabbath is then kept holy unto the Lord, when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering of their common affairs beforehand, do not only observe an holy rest, all the day, from their own works, words, and thoughts about their worldly employments and recreations,[38] but also are taken up, the whole time, in the public and private exercises of his worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy.[39]

38. Exod. 16:23, 25-26, 29-30; 20:8; 31:15-17; Isa. 58:13-14; Neh. 13:15-22
39. Isa. 58:13-14; Luke 4:16; Matt. 12:1-13; Mark 3:1-5
[/quote:037ed8678e]

Who is going to see fireworks? :eek:

Do you think we should, should not, etc.? Thoughts?

[Edited on 7-2-2004 by webmaster]

This is a good question. Our civil holidays should take into account the uniqueness of the Christian Sabbath. In a way they do because Monday is a federal holiday, but everyone is going to celebrate on Sunday. It is His day, however, and not ours. The whole day from midnight to midnight.

Our family will not attend a Sunday fireworks or other Fourth of July event. We may, however, see fireworks on Saturday evening. Fireworks are always fun.

Another issue is whether to celebrate the Declaration of Independence at all. I have mixed feelings about it, because it barely mentions God at all. The author certainly was not a believer. Yet the many reasons contained in it for justifying the American War of Independence are quite sound. I am willing to go along with a celebration for that reason -- just not on the Lord's Day.

P.S. In our house, we always celebrate Mother's Day, Father's Day, birthdays, etc. the day before as well.

You couldn't have asked these questions on Monday, now could you?

We're planning on going to see the fireworks Sunday evening, starting around 9. I don't think that interferes with my worship at all. At least there's nothing that I would be doing at home that I couldn't do watching the fireworks. Not to try and justify it or anything, but watching the fireworks, for me anyway, in addition to impressing me with the pretty colors and the loud booms, always reminds me of how thankful I am to God for this country and the freedoms we have here.

Bob

I'll be in church so no fireworks for me. Besides, the Lord's Day trumps any other holidays, even the 4th of July as patriotic as I am.

For what it's worth I'll be watching a debate between Richard Gaffin and Ken Gentry on A vs. Post mil on video....Maybe some fireworks in its own right...

Questions for board:

The Jewish Sabbath - was it not observed Sundown on Friday to Sundown on Saturday? I have a Seventh Day Adventist friend and that is how they observe it.

Implications:
1. If this is so then should we observe the Lord's Day from sundown on Saturday to sundown on Sunday (if you're a sabbatarian).
2. And if 1. is true then that should alleviate fireworks Sunday night on the fourth cause the day is over....

Or am I just going into theological rationalization overdrive?

[Edited on 7-2-2004 by crhoades]

By 9 o'clock on Sunday evening I'm trying to find a clean pair of socks for work the next day, tucking our oldest into bed, giving the baby his last bottle for the night, and tidying up before bed. For me the day is done. We will probably go, and spend some good time together as a family.

I am a Sabbath keeper and refrain from normal labors as much as possible. But what officially constitutes "worldly recreation"? Should I refrain from playing with my kids in the yard, grilling a fine piece of meat, or even...dare I say it...watch NASCAR and fall asleep to the sweet sounds of engines roaring?

[quote:4350ee1e71]
We're planning on going to see the fireworks Sunday evening, starting around 9.
[/quote:4350ee1e71]

Well, this raises a practical application of the question of whether the sabbath is sunset to sunset or midnight to midnight. Sunset to sunset seems to have more precedent in practice and perhaps exegesis.

I guess we run into the same issue that we did with the Super Bowl. There was the issue of whether or not its right to watch the Super Bowl because the football players were working on Sunday. Along the same lines, the fire department or whoever lights the fireworks off most likely gets paid for their services.

Bob

Q116: What is required in the fourth commandment?
A116: The fourth commandment requires of all men the sanctifying or keeping holy to God such set times as he hath appointed in his word, [b:9cfe2d90a4]expressly one whole day in seven[/b:9cfe2d90a4]; which was the seventh from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, and the first day of the week ever since, and so to continue to the end of the world; which is the Christian sabbath,[1] and in the New Testament called The Lord's day.[2]

1. Deut. 5:12, 14, 18; Gen. 2:2-3; I Cor. 16:1-2; Acts 20:7; Matt. 5:17-18; Isa. 56:2, 4, 6-7
2. Rev. 1:10

Q117: How is the sabbath or the Lord's day to be sanctified?
A117: The sabbath or Lord's day is to be sanctified by an holy resting [b:9cfe2d90a4]all the day[/b:9cfe2d90a4],[1] not only from such works as are at all times sinful, but even from such worldly employments and [b:9cfe2d90a4]recreations[/b:9cfe2d90a4] as are on other days lawful;[2] and making it our delight to spend the whole time (except so much of it as is to betaken up in works of necessity and mercy)[3] in the public and private exercises of God's worship:[4] and, to that end, we are to prepare our hearts, and with such foresight, diligence, and moderation, to dispose and seasonably dispatch our worldly business, that we may be the more free and fit for the duties of that day.[5]

1. Exod. 20:8, 10
2. Exod. 16:25-28; Neh. 13:15-22; Jer. 17:21-22
3. Matt. 12:1-13
4. Isa. 58:18; 66:23; Luke 4:16; Acts 20:7; I Cor. 16:1-2; Psa. ch. 92; Lev. 23:3
5. Exod. 16:22, 25-26, 29; 20:8; Luke 23:54, 56; Neh. 13:19

Q118: Why is the charge of keeping the sabbath more specially directed to governors of families, and other superiors?
A118: The charge of keeping the sabbath is more specially directed to governors of families, and other superiors, because they are bound not only to keep it themselves, but to see that it be observed by all those that are under their charge; and because they are prone ofttimes to hinder them by employments of their own.[1]

1. Exod. 20:10; 23:12; Josh. 24:15; Neh. 13:15, 17; Jer. 17:20-22

Q119: What are the sins forbidden in the fourth commandment?
A119: The sins forbidden in the fourth commandment are, [b:9cfe2d90a4]all omissions of the duties required[/b:9cfe2d90a4],[1] all careless, negligent, and unprofitable performing of them, and being weary of them;[2] all profaning the day by idleness, and doing that which is in itself sinful;[3] and by all needless works, words, and thoughts, about our worldly employments and [b:9cfe2d90a4]recreations[/b:9cfe2d90a4].[4]

1. Ezek. 22:26
2. Acts 15:7, 9; Ezek. 33:30-32; Amos 8:5; Mal. 1:13
3. Ezek. 23:38
4. Jer. 17:24, 27; Isa. 58:13

Q120: What are the reasons annexed to the fourth commandment, the more to enforce it?
A120: The reasons annexed to the fourth commandment, the more to enforce it, are taken from the equity of it, God allowing us six days of seven for our own affairs, and reserving but [b:9cfe2d90a4]one for himself[/b:9cfe2d90a4], in these words, Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work:[1] from God's challenging a special propriety in that day, The seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God:[2] from the example of God, who in six days made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: and from that blessing which God put upon that day, not only in sanctifying it to be a day for his service, but in ordaining it to be a means of blessing to us in our sanctifying it; Wherefore the Lord blessed the [b:9cfe2d90a4]sabbath day[/b:9cfe2d90a4], and hallowed it.[3]

1. Exod. 20:9
2. Exod. 20:10
3. Exod. 20:11

As was said in the thread about the Super Bowl, http://www.puritanboard.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=2982 so it is applicable here:

[quote:868d02a57c]
Originally posted by blhowes
[quote:868d02a57c]
Matthew wrote:
Its too bad that christian's can't watch the superbowl live - taping it and watching the next day would be a much wiser use of the Lord's Day.

(Now, now. Just because the Dolphins didn't make it this year, is no reason to...)

Didn't the Jewish sabbath go from sunup to sundown (6 am to 6 pm)? Well, the game starts at 6:25 pm so we'll have just enough time to get the chips, drinks, etc before the opening kick off.
[/quote:868d02a57c]

John Schultz replies....

Then to be consistent... what will you be watching saturday night? :eek:
[/quote:868d02a57c]

The center we meet in for church is closed on the Fourth, so we are having church at a menbers house, followed by a cook-out and pot-faith (not luck) lunch. After a day of worship and fellowship we are all going to another members house where we can sit in the front yard and see the fire work display the city puts on in the park down the road from their house.

My counsel to those wondering what to do:

[b:1b4dde889e]Romans 14[/b:1b4dde889e]
5One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6[b:1b4dde889e]He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it.[/b:1b4dde889e]

As for our church, we will watch fire works and fellowship to the glory of the Lord!

Phillip

[Edited on 7-2-04 by pastorway]

[quote:f1728a9a18][i:f1728a9a18]Originally posted by pastorway[/i:f1728a9a18]
The center we meet in for church is closed on the Fourth, so we are having church at a menbers house, followed by a cook-out and pot-faith (not luck) lunch. After a day of worship and fellowship we are all going to another members house where we can sit in the front yard and see the fire work display the city puts on in the park down the road from their house. [/quote:f1728a9a18]

Hope you told the Johnsons hello for us. If my folks didn't come to town we would have fellowshipped with you guys as well. :banana:

[quote:631e737023][i:631e737023]Originally posted by webmaster[/i:631e737023]
[quote:631e737023]
The Westminster Confession of Faith, Chapter XXI
Of Religious Worship, and the Sabbath Day

VIII. This Sabbath is then kept holy unto the Lord, when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering of their common affairs beforehand, do not only observe an holy rest, all the day, from their own works, words, and thoughts about their worldly employments and recreations,[38] but also are taken up, the whole time, in the public and private exercises of his worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy.[39]

38. Exod. 16:23, 25-26, 29-30; 20:8; 31:15-17; Isa. 58:13-14; Neh. 13:15-22
39. Isa. 58:13-14; Luke 4:16; Matt. 12:1-13; Mark 3:1-5
[/quote:631e737023]

Who is going to see fireworks? :eek:

Do you think we should, should not, etc.? Thoughts?

[Edited on 7-2-2004 by webmaster] [/quote:631e737023]

I think we should abide in Christ by keeping his law. :)

crhoades

Crhoades
Where can I purchased that video on the debate between Gaffin and Gentry concerning Amill vs Postmill? If you have a link that will be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back