A. Begg sermons on the 4th commandment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard a sermon by Begg that was part of a series on the Sabbath 2 or 3 years ago, but I don't know if it's the same series you're thinking of. But I came away with the impression that Begg holds to the Puritan and Westminsterian view of the 4th Commandment, very rare these days for preachers with as large a radio ministry as his.

What stuck with me was his recounting of Stonewall Jackson's view of the sabbath. If anyone brought a "worldly" concern to Jackson's attention on the Lord's Day, Begg said that Jackson would respond with something like "we'll think about that tomorrow".

Chris,

Several years ago, his radio ministry aired two messages, I think, on the 4th commandment. I heard one of them and it was very good. I do not recall the Jackson story, but I agree with Jackson.

I listen to Begg pretty regularly. He sounds Reformed to me. I like the accent too!! ;)

[Edited on 2-1-2006 by Ivan]

"IN the Sabbath"? Are you referring to the rest some have entered and others are yet to enter (Heb. 3-4)? Or, is this a refernce to Christ?

I remember in one of his sermons Alistair said that everytime he preaches on the sabbath he gets letters from 7th Adventists. He then briefly made the case for the change of day to the first day, giving the same proof texts that the Shorter Catechism gives.

Originally posted by Rich Barcellos
"IN the Sabbath"? Are you referring to the rest some have entered and others are yet to enter (Heb. 3-4)? Or, is this a refernce to Christ?

I was just being facetious, as someone who has a realized Sabbath theology :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back