Systematic theology volumes to recommend (and those to avoid)

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Dean

Puritan Board Junior
I'm looking into getting a volume of systematic theology for study. I'd be very grateful for any suggestions for good Reformed volumes. And I'd also appreciate any to beware of as well.

Suggestions, brothers?

Avoid Berkouwer and Barth

I also recommend Robert L. Reymond, VanGenderen and Velema and Michael Horton

Douglas Kelly is in my opinion worth waiting till it's complete, only vol 1 published for now.

I am waiting that Turrentin gets cheaper (85% discount as with Ussher would do : ) such a great work, but too expensive, in my opinion they should have printed it all in just 1 vol

I am waiting that Turrentin gets cheaper (85% discount as with Ussher would do : ) such a great work, but too expensive, in my opinion they should have printed it all in just 1 vol

That would have been about a 2000 page volume! Not impossible, but not all that practical to lug around. The three volumes are each big enough as it is!

All of the ones listed are excellent. As for ones to avoid, Theology for Today by Elmer Towns is easily the worst I have ever read. The only reason I have it is because it was a required textbook at Liberty.

I'll put in a plug for John Brown's Systematic Theology (originally titled A Compendious View of Natural and Revealed Religion). If you want to take time to pore over a book and look up thousands of cross-references, John Brown is the man. And his sense of the sheer poetry of Reformed theology is unequalled in anything I've read. Plus he's solid, sober, sensible, and direct.

Calvin, Turretin, aBrakel (the pdf's are free), Bavinck, Reymond (Amazon has a Kindle version).

Did not know John Brown had an ST - i'll have to search Google Books for it!

All of the ones listed are excellent. As for ones to avoid, Theology for Today by Elmer Towns is easily the worst I have ever read. The only reason I have it is because it was a required textbook at Liberty.

I think I have the worst, believe me, I don't know Towns', but it can't be worst than Charles Finney's ST. One more to avoid,

I bought it second hand and it's not systematic neither it's theology....it's just rubbish.

Also avoid Paul Tillich, I once took quick look at his ST on a bookstore a look and I couldn't find Bible references, all said!

I agree the Towns was awful

Apparently not everyone agrees with us regarding the esteemed Dr. Towns. Here is a link to a doctoral thesis written by one of the professors at Liberty. It is on the works of Elmer Towns. You can't make this stuff up. This alone was enough reason for me not to continue on to seminary at Liberty. http://www.elmertowns.com/bio/Dr._Gabe_Etzel_DMIN_Thesis.pdf

I wrote a paper for undergrad pointing out how Dr. Towns did not understand Calvinism. I was told that Dr. Towns had a PhD and as such knew more than I did. So it did not matter what he said, he was right because he had a PhD.

I wrote a paper for undergrad pointing out how Dr. Towns did not understand Calvinism. I was told that Dr. Towns had a PhD and as such knew more than I did. So it did not matter what he said, he was right because he had a PhD.

The fallacy of arguing from authority, its illogical.

Mr. Dean, you're obviously getting a lot of names thrown at you very quickly, so I'll try to sort through some of them for you. What you'll read depends on what sort of work you're looking for, where you are in your learning and reading, how much time you have, etc. Here's a quick rundown of some of what's been presented to you: hopefully it helps you sort things out.

"Outlines" and Compendia. These are short works that serve to give an outline of the whole of divinity, and in both the following cases are divided into sections on "Faith" and "Works," or "Practical" and "Theoretical" theology. Use them (maybe even memorize them!) to outline the topics on which you read more deeply in dogmatic and exegetical works.

I. William Ames, Marrow of Theology. (17th Century, Independent English Puritan) There is a fairly fresh translation by J.D. Eusden which is quite readable. It comes with a useful introduction to Ames and this book (though I would take exception to Eusden's conclusions on some points). Ames wrote many books, and this work serves as a distillation of much of his thought, most of which is still inaccessible to English-only speakers. For what it's worth, Ames is one of my favorite theologians.

II. Another excellent work which is available in recent English translation (though, unfortunately, I have not read the translation, and so cannot speak for it) is J. Wollebius' Compendium (17th century student of Amandus Polanus). Often ranked with Ames' Marrow among British and American teachers of their day, this is a good replacement if you can't get access to Ames.

Expositions of Catechisms. There are many of these works, some more thorough than others. These take the basic catechisms of the Reformed churches and expand the questions and answers to teach in a very approachable manner. Below are some of the more popular ones.

I. Thomas Boston, in works vol. I and II (17th and 18th century Scottish minister). This is his explanation of the Westminster Shorter Catechism (I'm quite certain it's been published as a stand alone in the 20th century, but can't vouch for that). This is highly regarded as a classic of Christian instruction, and I can't think of a better place to start for one starting a thorough study of the Reformed faith.

II. William Ames (as above), Sketch of the Christian Catechism. Recently retranslated and published afresh, this is a series of catechetical sermons of the Heidelberg Catechism.

III. Zacharias Ursinus (16th Century German Reformer, one of the main authors [traditionally with Caspar Olevian] of the Heidelberg Catechism) wrote an often republished explanation of the Heidelberg Catechism. Probably not a good first read, but as you get more familiar with the Reformed faith, this will provide excellent and detailed insight into one of our confessional documents from the perspective of its author.

Shorter "One Volume" Systematic Theologies.

I. John Brown of Haddington (18th century Scottish minister). As Ruben mentioned above, this is an excellent, as well as a short and readable explanation of the Christian faith. It would make a good first systematic and pave the way excellently for further study.

II. Louis Berkhof, Systematic Theology. One volume, but solid. A standard 20th century discussion of the Reformed faith influenced by Bavinck, Kuyper and Vos. People often say it's dry and hard to read, though I can't say I agree with that. A good introduction to some of the "more" recent developments in Reformed thought as it entered the modern age.

III. John Calvin, Institues. Ok, at 1,000 pages, I realize this isn't exactly "short." But Calvin's work reads with such devotional quality that it flies by and is over before you know it. Read it at some point. In the same way, I'll include Heinrich Bullinger's Decades here, which is even *less* short (a large collection of 50 sermons covering the whole range of Christian doctrine). Bullinger was Calvin's contemporary, and one of the most important Reformers, quite literally holding the Reformation together in many ways. These are spectacular.

IV. Michael Horton, The Christian Faith and his Quadrilogy on Proleg, Christology, Soteriology and Ecclesiology. The most modern one out there, and the most controversial on this list. Wherever we come down on the more controverted issues brought up in Horton's work, his work offers serious and necessary engagement with much of modern theology and deserves careful reading. His Christian Faith (though not the quadrilogy!) reads more like a dinner-table discussion than a book, which makes it easily readable.

Longer and More Thorough Works. There is a vast number of these: unfortunately, most are still in Latin. Some gems have been translated, however, and they follow. These would probably not make good "first reads" in Reformed systematic theology.

I. Francis Turretin, Institutes of Elenctic Theology. This 17th century behemouth should not be your first journey into Reformed dogmatics. Note that Turretin never intended it to be a Systematic work, but rather to accompany the reading of a systematic work (I believe he taught using Maresius' work?). It goes through the various controversies of his day, and in doing so thoroughly addresses many, many major issues in theology - and does so exceedingly well.

II. Peter Mastricht. A translation of his giant Theology is being prepared now, and though it's not finished yet, I *have* to include it on this list. This is simply an extraordinary work. A full, thorough 17th century expression of theoretical and practical divinity, influenced by Amesian and Voetian thought. Sell your house to buy this when it is finished if you have to. It's worth it (though, again, quite long). My favorite full system, by far. Of the works in this category, I would make this your first priority when it comes out if you find you want a full and detailed system after more study. If not this, Turretin and Witsius will provide excellent substitutes.

III. Wilhelmus a Brakel, The Christian's Reasonable Service. This is a "devotional dogmatics" work. Long, but eminently pastoral and practical, it represents a wonderful distilation of Dutch "puritanism" of the 17th century for everyone's benefit.

IV. Charles Hodge, Systematic Theology. Hodge was a professor at Princeton in the 19th century. This is perhaps the standard representative of that school of thought.

V. Herman Witsius, Economy of the Covenants Between God and Man. Another extraordinary Dutch theologian of the late 17th Century. This may be the easiest to read of all the books in this category, and could also be read with his commentary on the Apostle's Creed. This work explores *most* topics in theology through the lens of (as the title suggests!) God's covenants. Uncommonly gifted theologian.

VI. Herman Bavinck. Recently translated from the Dutch, this is a high water mark of Dutch (and Reformed in general) theology of the early 20th-ish century. However, commenting too much on this would be unbecoming of me, not being familiar enough with it to give an honest description.

Some Recent Works. These are some of the more popular recent works, highly prized by many, though often more so by people within individual "camps" of thought. Their lasting influence has yet to be seen. Recent works are great, as they show ways in which our Reformed faith has expressed itself in modernity, but my conservative nature suggests understanding the old, foundations of our faith first before exploring these modern experiments.
Robert Reymond, Morton Smith, J. Van Genderen and W. H. Velema, Richard Gamble, and Douglas Kelly. The merits of each of these are often discussed here on the board.

As a side note, I see Gill was mentioned. Gill was a English Baptist minister of the 18th century; he was brilliant and profound, and his work contains many valuable discussions of theological topics, but often does not represent a mainstream Reformed position on matters. As I see you are a Presbyterian, my guess is this will not be your first choice.

Anyway, hope that helps sort through some of the material a bit. I would start small. Start with a catechism series, and a small, one-volume work such as Brown or Calvin. Maybe then go through one of the outlines or compendia to review and orgainze what you've learned, and then begin to explore some of the more thorough systematic works, as well as exegetical works and dogmatic works on particular topics.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Grudem. Since you are coming from a Baptist perspective, that might be worth picking up.

But avoid another Baptist, Stanley Grenz, like the plague. His Theology for the Community of God is not awful, but it has postmodern fingerprints all over it.

I agree. I have the feeling that Liberty thinks it was not that big of a deal. They saved face and moved on. One of my profs adjuncts for Liberty online and said the whole thing made him sick.

Why is it that questioning of motives and speculation is only forbidden when it is in regards to people who agree with us? This thread is about Systematic Theology works, not about people's feelings of Liberty. It is hilarious to me that everyone said "They will never do anything" about the Caner situation...they DID do something, and now we have a bunch of armchair "deans" saying what should have been done.

Now back to the topic: Brother Dean, I have no idea as to your experience with reading weighty theological books. If this is your first Systematic Volume, I would recommend Wayne Grudem.

Why is it that questioning of motives and speculation is only forbidden when it is in regards to people who agree with us? This thread is about Systematic Theology works, not about people's feelings of Liberty.

It's not. And so I would also ask the courtesy be returned, and the assumption not stand that we only forbid speculation with which we disagree.

Please everyone stick on topic.

Now that Bavinck is available in an abridged version, I would read it before Berkhof.

Calvin is a classic.

aBrakel is perhaps the greatest example of experimental/experiential Dutch Second Reformation Calvinism.

Grudem is a must for his interactions with contemporary issues.

Horton is a very solid one volume work and the most recent.

I would personally suggest Turretin before Hodge (Hodge's 3 vol. replaced the study of Turretin in the LATIN at Princeton).

R.C. Sproul (a good entry level place).

Reymond and Kelly.

The Theology of B.B. Warfield: A Systematic Summary by Fred Zaspel is an editing of the voluminous works of Warfield into the categories of traditional systematic theology.

Strong

Shedd

House, Charts of Systematic Theology

With a good deal of discretion
Bloesch (either his 2 vol or 7 vol)
Culver
Berkouwer

My "skip" for now list:

Dispensational
Towns
Chafer
Geisler (including his upcoming one volume edition)
Ryrie

"Evangelical"
Grenz
Finney

Charismatic and Pentecostal
J. Rodman Williams
Stanley Horton

Neo-Orthodox
Barth
Brunner
Moltmann

Liberal/Radical
Daly
Tillich

Last edited:
Why is it that questioning of motives and speculation is only forbidden when it is in regards to people who agree with us? This thread is about Systematic Theology works, not about people's feelings of Liberty

Your right, we did get a little off track and for that we apologize. Both of us attended Liberty so it is someting close to our hearts.

Well, Calvin's Institutes and commentaries on the bible. Both possible to read on the web. I don't know is this systematic theology in the meaning of the word, but Charles Leiter's book "Justification and Regeneration" is worth to read.

Has anyone read William Tyndale's "Obedience of Christian man"? Is it good and has it value for today's Christians?

II. Peter Mastricht. A translation of his giant Theology is being prepared now, and though it's not finished yet, I *have* to include it on this list. This is simply an extraordinary work. A full, thorough 17th century expression of theoretical and practical divinity, influenced by Amesian and Voetian thought. Sell your house to buy this when it is finished if you have to. It's worth it (though, again, quite long). My favorite full system, by far. Of the works in this category, I would make this your first priority when it comes out if you find you want a full and detailed system after more study. If not this, Turretin and Witsius will provide excellent substitutes.

Paul can you please tell us which publisher will make Peter Van Mastricht's work available in english (is it his Theologia Theoretico-Practica?)?

Why is it that questioning of motives and speculation is only forbidden when it is in regards to people who agree with us? This thread is about Systematic Theology works, not about people's feelings of Liberty

Your right, we did get a little off track and for that we apologize. Both of us attended Liberty so it is someting close to our hearts.

Its alright, brother. I am currently finishing my M. Div. from Liberty, and with one exception, have had a GREAT experience, and met a lot of good, Godly (even Calvinist) professors there. So I guess I get a little defensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back