Which Systematic Theology to study first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the posters needs, he would be not be a good choice for him starting out then?

Still think Dr Grudem ST would be good for s starter in theology, just make sureto read with discernment his take on spiritual gifts for today!

An online version of Berkhof, without his prolegomena is available here:

https://www.biblicaltraining.org/library/systematic-theology-louis-berkhof

You can also get the mobi version and pdf here: Louis Berkhof - Systematic Theology

God bless,
William
The online version I linked to also includes pdf and epub versions. BTW, nice site you have there, William.

Thank you Mr. Religion.

Based on the posters needs, he would be not be a good choice for him starting out then?

Still think Dr Grudem ST would be good for s starter in theology, just make sureto read with discernment his take on spiritual gifts for today!

I love Grudem's Systematic Theology (haven't graduated from the little league :) ). What I appreciate about your comment was the discernment needed. Grudem lists multiple views, for and against arguments. I like to reference his material when I am debating someone. It kinda gives a more indepth outline of the opposing argument, and often better articulated from the book than most people can muster themselves. Interesting that you also mentioned Grudem's continuationist position. It was rather apparent once in those pages of the book.

Lastly, I plan to tackle Berkhof here in the months to come. An OPC church got me interested in it because they are doing a slow moving study on the book. I heard it is THE book on Systematic Theology.

God bless,
William

Lastly, I plan to tackle Berkhof here in the months to come. An OPC church got me interested in it because they are doing a slow moving study on the book. I heard it is THE book on Systematic Theology.

Berkhof is trustworthy when it comes to Reformed doctrine. Very few have found anything to quibble about in his very terse work. Berkhof was channeling Bavinck, whose work was not yet available in English. So if you want the full course meal, Bavinck's Reformed Dogmatics is something to consider down the road.

Think that one can profit from using His ST, but again, make sure to read especially his views on spiritual gifts/Holy Spirit!

While in school. my main textbook was Dr Milliard Erickson , and that one also is good for summary of various theological viewpoints of major doctrines!

I am a reformed baptist, so would see things from his viewpoint more than the Reformed Presbyterian Bethren!

And his views on the Trinity.

I am surprised no one has yet suggested reading Finney's writings on systematic theology!

;)

Berkhof is very helpful, but he's dry as a bone (to my taste, anyway). A PCA pastor friend told me that seminarians at RTS called it "the big blue sleeping pill." :lol:

I'd recommend Ames, then Calvin, then a'Brakel, then Hodge, then Turretin.

I recently received a review copy of vol 4 of Vos, and his format looks terrific. Haven't gotten to read it yet, though. It might be suitable as a second ST; but I'd start with Ames.

That would be though a discussion involving wether Jesus is subordinate to his father eternally, but not alter the nature of the trinity, as Grudem does affirm the Trinity of God in the biblical sense!

That would be though a discussion involving wether Jesus is subordinate to his father eternally, but not alter the nature of the trinity, as Grudem does affirm the Trinity of God in the biblical sense!

There is more to Trinitarianism than simply saying "3 Persons/1 God." Eternality is a predicate of God's essence, so if the Son is eternally subordinate to the Father, then it is hard to see how he is homoousios.

There is more to Trinitarianism than simply saying "3 Persons/1 God." Eternality is a predicate of God's essence, so if the Son is eternally subordinate to the Father, then it is hard to see how he is homoousios.

Does the Son's submission only refer to His humanity?

Not really, as my son and I are both fully human, yet he is subordinate to me in the family dynamic!

The scriptures do seem to infer that Jesus etrnally is agreeing that the Father is head of the trinity, and the Holy Spirit is agreeable to be subordiante to boith father/Son...

God has no problem in allowing that among His 3 Persons, so why would we then?

As subordination does not mean inferior, just differing roles in the Godhead, but all Three equally God still!

Not really, as my son and I are both fully human, yet he is subordinate to me in the family dynamic!

The scriptures do seem to infer that Jesus etrnally is agreeing that the Father is head of the trinity, and the Holy Spirit is agreeable to be subordiante to boith father/Son...

God has no problem in allowing that among His 3 Persons, so why would we then?

As subordination does not mean inferior, just differing roles in the Godhead, but all Three equally God still!

Relation is a predicate of essence, so saying he is ontologically subordinate is highly problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back