Surprised that some famous Theologians Agreed with Dr Grudem on the ESS

Status
Not open for further replies.
That post perfectly sums up my own position. The Son's submission to the Father is in his role as the mediator of the covenant of grace. All other talk of submission or subordination is, at best, confusing.
Wouldn't that make the submission of Jesus only for when He was here in human body, and was done when He ascended back to heaven?

I disagree, I think PB (specifically this thread) is an environment where we all desire fruitful and thought provoking discussion (at least at heart).

Perhaps I should have been clearer. I was speaking in the broadest sense about the heat generated by this discussion, not exclusively here in this thread or on PB. In that sense, it is very much the case that a partisan spirit hinders the discussion. And how can it not be the case when the first salvo in a debate is to charge the other side with heresy? You are welcome to disagree, but that's what I've observed.

Chris,

I disagree, I think PB (specifically this thread) is an environment where we all desire fruitful and thought provoking discussion (at least at heart).

What thoughtful engagements would you like to make other than criticizing others attempts to speak to the OP?

Where do you stand regarding Grudem's article? Answering this question might better serve the OP and the general audience watching this thread (myself included).

I have gleaned a lot from the teachings of Grudem (especially his Systematic Theology Book). He is a writer that has a gift for explaining difficult doctrinal positions in an easy to understand manner (in my opinion). So even though i disagree with him on several things, he is a gifted teacher and a valued brother in Christ.
His position of ESS, in my opinion, threatens an Orthodox view of the Trinity (simply put).

It would also appear, from the opinion of others, that Grudem misrepresents some of our reformed forefathers on the matter.
Would you see Dr Grudem in same light as say Dr Macarthur, as gifted bible teachers who have some weak areas in their theology? Dr Grudem in the areas of ESS and Charasamatic gifts, and Dr Macarthur on his Israel/Church viewpoint?

Well, you would need to flesh that out a bit for idiots like myself. But your comments appear to assume two things. First, they assume Complemntarianism is somehow dependent on ESS. It is not. The Danvers Statement makes no mention of it at all. And second, you seem to think that Grudem has adopted his position for no other reason than to shore-up Complentarianism. That is simply an unkind aspersion. And its one that makes no sense given the fact that the doctrine of ESS is of no consequence to Complematarian teaching.

For whatever reason, a concerted effort has been made by those opposing ESS to make it the sine qua non of Complentarianism. In so doing, they have effectively labeled Complemarianism as heresy and those espousing it as heretics. It is a troubling development.
Woudl it be actual heresy, or instead a wrong view, a misunderstanding of what the scriptures teach?

Perhaps I should have been clearer. I was speaking in the broadest sense about the heat generated by this discussion, not exclusively here in this thread or on PB. In that sense, it is very much the case that a partisan spirit hinders the discussion. And how can it not be the case when the first salvo in a debate is to charge the other side with heresy? You are welcome to disagree, but that's what I've observed.
"Partisan" is a strong word, and not charitable if by it you mean that those you accuse have not heavily weighed both sides of the matter.

If by it you simply mean "supporter", then it could be said that Gruedum himself is partisan to his position on ESS.

Now, where do you stand on the ESS matter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you see Dr Grudem in same light as say Dr Macarthur, as gifted bible teachers who have some weak areas in their theology? Dr Grudem in the areas of ESS and Charasamatic gifts, and Dr Macarthur on his Israel/Church viewpoint?
Short answer.....Yes (same could be said for any faithful Christian teacher)...but let's not get too off topic.

Well, you would need to flesh that out a bit for idiots like myself. But your comments appear to assume two things. First, they assume Complemntarianism is somehow dependent on ESS. It is not. The Danvers Statement makes no mention of it at all. And second, you seem to think that Grudem has adopted his position for no other reason than to shore-up Complentarianism. That is simply an unkind aspersion. And its one that makes no sense given the fact that the doctrine of ESS is of no consequence to Complematarian teaching.

For whatever reason, a concerted effort has been made by those opposing ESS to make it the sine qua non of Complentarianism. In so doing, they have effectively labeled Complemarianism as heresy and those espousing it as heretics. It is a troubling development.
Isn't Complentarianism though the position laid out to us in the scriptures themselves?

"Partisan" is a strong word, and not charitable if by it you mean that those you accuse have not heavily weighed both sides of the matter.

If some are guilty of a party spirit (which is something we are all guilty of from time to time) there is nothing uncharitable about saying so.

Classical theism posits one will in the Trinity. Grudem/Ware have Jesus submitting his will (pre-incarnation) the Father.

Can you lay out your position on this matter (complementarian) as well as the ESS view? You seem to be stopping by with questions that hint you have a position. Can you share it?
I think you are smelling what I am stepping in.:ditto:

Classical theism posits one will in the Trinity. Grudem/Ware have Jesus submitting his will (pre-incarnation) the Father.
Each one of the Trinity would have their own minds, but would always be in total agreement , correct?
So why couldn't each have a Will, but always be agreeing all of the time?
Each one of them have a will, and each having the very will of God?

each one of the Trinity would have their own minds, but would always be in total agreement , correct?
Eacj one of their have a will, and each having the very will of God?
If they are one essence, they would have one will. Otherwise, logically it goes to polytheism.

each one of the Trinity would have their own minds, but would always be in total agreement , correct?
Eacj one of their have a will, and each having the very will of God?
David this is dangerous. There is one will.

The thread is is re-ploughing ground covered elsewhere:
https://www.puritanboard.com/thread...of-the-son-debate-where-are-things-now.92059/

The thread above contains plenty of online references to the individuals being discussed, the terminology being used, etc., that can actually be quoted from when making summary statements about "who believes what and why" or to understand what the terms at play mean.

Please take the time to carefully review the previous thread.

Each one of the Trinity would have their own minds, but would always be in total agreement , correct?
Each one of them have a will, and each having the very will of God?

Nope. That's polytheism.

The doctrine of the trinity can be tricky. It is very easy to error on our thoughts of the Godhead. I usually just try to stick to the definitions given in the Westminster Confession/Catechism. I am not saying you are in sin with your comments per se...but rather (based on your comments)..you need to be careful as we all do an tread lightly.

Chapter II

Of God, and of the Holy Trinity
I. There is but one only,[1] living, and true God,[2] who is infinite in being and perfection,[3] a most pure spirit,[4] invisible,[5] without body, parts,[6] or passions;[7] immutable,[8] immense,[9] eternal,[10] incomprehensible,[11] almighty,[12] most wise,[13] most holy,[14] most free,[15] most absolute;[16] working all things according to the counsel of His own immutable and most righteous will,[17] for His own glory;[18] most loving,[19] gracious, merciful, long-suffering, abundant in goodness and truth, forgiving iniquity, transgression, and sin;[20] the rewarder of them that diligently seek Him;[21] and withal, most just, and terrible in His judgments,[22] hating all sin,[23] and who will by no means clear the guilty.[24]

II. God has all life,[25] glory,[26] goodness,[27] blessedness,[28] in and of Himself; and is alone in and unto Himself all-sufficient, not standing in need of any creatures which He has made,[29] nor deriving any glory from them,[30] but only manifesting His own glory in, by, unto, and upon them. He is the alone fountain of all being, of whom, through whom, and to whom are all things;[31] and has most sovereign dominion over them, to do by them, for them, or upon them whatsoever Himself pleases.[32] In His sight all things are open and manifest,[33] His knowledge is infinite, infallible, and independent upon the creature,[34] so as nothing is to Him contingent, or uncertain.[35] He is most holy in all His counsels, in all His works, and in all His commands.[36] To Him is due from angels and men, and every other creature, whatsoever worship, service, or obedience He is pleased to require of them.[37]

III. In the unity of the Godhead there be three Persons of one substance, power, and eternity: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost.[38] The Father is of none, neither begotten nor proceeding; the Son is eternally begotten of the Father; [39] the Holy Ghost eternally proceeding from the Father and the Son. [40]

The thread is is re-ploughing ground covered elsewhere:
https://www.puritanboard.com/thread...of-the-son-debate-where-are-things-now.92059/

The thread above contains plenty of online references to the individuals being discussed, the terminology being used, etc., that can actually be quoted from when making summary statements about "who believes what and why" or to understand what the terms at play mean.

Please take the time to carefully review the previous thread.
Mr. Religion,

I agree. Let's get back to the OP. And hopefully Chris will respond with his position and his thoughts on the OP article.

Unfortunately, a partisan spirit dominates the discussion of this topic making any thoughtful engagement with points like the one you are making impossible.

Christopher, that is what I have found as well. While I have generally agreed with the opponents of ESS/EFS, they have tended to condemn anyone who used the language of eternal submission/subordination as if they were an Arian. As I understand it, that supposition is not accurate.

Can you lay out your position on this matter (complementarian) as well as the ESS view? You seem to be stopping by with questions that hint you have a position. Can you share it?

I have endeavored to engage thoughtfully with the people in this thread. No, I suppose I haven't laid out a detailed statements of my views, but that wasn't what the OP asked for; and to my knowledge, no one else has done that either.

As for my views, I agree with complementarianism as expreseed in the Danvers statement. I see nothing inherently unorthodox about ESS/EFS so long as it is properly qualified as relating to the Divine economy and not essence.

Christopher, that is what I have found as well. While I have generally agreed with the opponents of ESS/EFS, they have tended to condemn anyone who used the language of eternal submission/subordination as if they were an Arian. As I understand it, that supposition is not accurate.
Dr Grudem fully holds to the doctrine of Jesus being fully God.

I have endeavored to engage thoughtfully with the people in this thread. No, I suppose I haven't laid out a detailed statements of my views, but that wasn't what the OP asked for; and to my knowledge, no one else has done that either.

As for my views, I agree with complementarianism as expreseed in the Davers statement. I see nothing inherently unorthodox about ESS/EFS so long as it is properly qualified as relating to the Divine economy and not essence.
Do you see Jesus as being subordinate to the Father while just here upon the earth, or from all Eternity?

The doctrine of the trinity can be tricky. It is very easy to error on our thoughts of the Godhead. I usually just try to stick to the definitions given in the Westminster Confession/Catechism. I am not saying you are in sin with your comments per se...but rather (based on your comments)..you need to be careful as we all do an tread lightly.

Chapter II

Of God, and of the Holy Trinity
I. There is but one only,[1] living, and true God,[2] who is infinite in being and perfection,[3] a most pure spirit,[4] invisible,[5] without body, parts,[6] or passions;[7] immutable,[8] immense,[9] eternal,[10] incomprehensible,[11] almighty,[12] most wise,[13] most holy,[14] most free,[15] most absolute;[16] working all things according to the counsel of His own immutable and most righteous will,[17] for His own glory;[18] most loving,[19] gracious, merciful, long-suffering, abundant in goodness and truth, forgiving iniquity, transgression, and sin;[20] the rewarder of them that diligently seek Him;[21] and withal, most just, and terrible in His judgments,[22] hating all sin,[23] and who will by no means clear the guilty.[24]

II. God has all life,[25] glory,[26] goodness,[27] blessedness,[28] in and of Himself; and is alone in and unto Himself all-sufficient, not standing in need of any creatures which He has made,[29] nor deriving any glory from them,[30] but only manifesting His own glory in, by, unto, and upon them. He is the alone fountain of all being, of whom, through whom, and to whom are all things;[31] and has most sovereign dominion over them, to do by them, for them, or upon them whatsoever Himself pleases.[32] In His sight all things are open and manifest,[33] His knowledge is infinite, infallible, and independent upon the creature,[34] so as nothing is to Him contingent, or uncertain.[35] He is most holy in all His counsels, in all His works, and in all His commands.[36] To Him is due from angels and men, and every other creature, whatsoever worship, service, or obedience He is pleased to require of them.[37]

III. In the unity of the Godhead there be three Persons of one substance, power, and eternity: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost.[38] The Father is of none, neither begotten nor proceeding; the Son is eternally begotten of the Father; [39] the Holy Ghost eternally proceeding from the Father and the Son. [40]
I am going to stick from now on the 1689 Confession take on the Trinity.
Chapter 2: Of God and of the Holy Trinity
1._____The Lord our God is but one only living and true God; whose subsistence is in and of himself, infinite in being and perfection; whose essence cannot be comprehended by any but himself; a most pure spirit, invisible, without body, parts, or passions, who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; who is immutable, immense, eternal, incomprehensible, almighty, every way infinite, most holy, most wise, most free, most absolute; working all things according to the counsel of his own immutable and most righteous will for his own glory; most loving, gracious, merciful, long-suffering, abundant in goodness and truth, forgiving iniquity, transgression, and sin; the rewarder of them that diligently seek him, and withal most just and terrible in his judgments, hating all sin, and who will by no means clear the guilty.
( 1 Corinthians 8:4, 6; Deuteronomy 6:4; Jeremiah 10:10; Isaiah 48:12; Exodus 3:14; John 4:24; 1 Timothy 1:17; Deuteronomy 4:15, 16; Malachi 3:6; 1 Kings 8:27; Jeremiah 23:23; Psalms 90:2; Genesis 17:1; Isaiah 6:3; Psalms 115:3; Isaiah 46:10; Proverbs 16:4; Romans 11:36; Exodus 34:6, 7; Hebrews 11:6; Nehemiah 9:32, 33; Psalms 5:5, 6; Exodus 34:7; Nahum 1:2, 3 )
2._____God, having all life, glory, goodness, blessedness, in and of himself, is alone in and unto himself all-sufficient, not standing in need of any creature which he hath made, nor deriving any glory from them, but only manifesting his own glory in, by, unto, and upon them; he is the alone fountain of all being, of whom, through whom, and to whom are all things, and he hath most sovereign dominion over all creatures, to do by them, for them, or upon them, whatsoever himself pleaseth; in his sight all things are open and manifest, his knowledge is infinite, infallible, and independent upon the creature, so as nothing is to him contingent or uncertain; he is most holy in all his counsels, in all his works, and in all his commands; to him is due from angels and men, whatsoever worship, service, or obedience, as creatures they owe unto the Creator, and whatever he is further pleased to require of them.
( John 5:26; Psalms 148:13; Psalms 119:68; Job 22:2, 3; Romans 11:34-36; Daniel 4:25, 34, 35; Hebrews 4:13; Ezekiel 11:5; Acts 15:18; Psalms 145:17; Revelation 5:12-14 )

3._____ In this divine and infinite Being there are three subsistences, the Father, the Word or Son, and Holy Spirit, of one substance, power, and eternity, each having the whole divine essence, yet the essence undivided: the Father is of none, neither begotten nor proceeding; the Son is eternally begotten of the Father; the Holy Spirit proceeding from the Father and the Son; all infinite, without beginning, therefore but one God, who is not to be divided in nature and being, but distinguished by several peculiar relative properties and personal relations; which doctrine of the Trinity is the foundation of all our communion with God, and comfortable dependence on him.
( 1 John 5:7; Matthew 28:19; 2 Corinthians 13:14; Exodus 3:14; John 14:11; 1 Corinthians 8:6; John 1:14,18; John 15:26; Galatians 4:6 )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back