Should I call my professors by their first name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That said, I'm not sure there is always a direct correlation between formality and respect. I notice that those most worthy of respect are typically the least insistent on being addressed by their favoured title; those who are either overly familiar - "call me Dave" - or overly formal - "you will address me as Professor Smith" - are on average on lesser competence; the most competent are less fussy either way. Perhaps being truly worthy of respect and affection makes one less petty about being shown proper respect or being treated as everyone's friend.

I would bet it is more likely a personality thing or how you were raised.

People hate sir and ma'am here. I started using these terms when I was in Alabama. I liked it because it was a way to show respect. But in other areas of the world, people don't like this because it appears patronizing to them or like you are saying they are old.

The first time I was called Mr. Lindsay regularly was in Alabama and also in Nova Scotia (my home). It was by the children of the respective church congregations. And I felt so honored by it.

I would call them by their title, personally, and since you feel uncomfortable not calling them by their title, then I would go with what you feel comfortable.

That said, I'm not sure there is always a direct correlation between formality and respect. I notice that those most worthy of respect are typically the least insistent on being addressed by their favoured title; those who are either overly familiar - "call me Dave" - or overly formal - "you will address me as Professor Smith" - are on average on lesser competence; the most competent are less fussy either way. Perhaps being truly worthy of respect and affection makes one less petty about being shown proper respect or being treated as everyone's friend.

This seems like a very sound observation.

I know we sometimes get international students from the southern US who "ma'am" this and "sir" that. It sounds patronizing to us.

I am from the south. Maybe it's patronizing in NZ but I've found as a rule of thumb when I don't know what title to use I simply say "sir" or "mam". It avoids the first name and the possible confusion over choosing to say Dr. or Professor. (Though I admit I haven't had this problem, all my classes have been online). I would think that if the doctor or professor didn't like one of those titles they surely wouldn't want to hear "sir" or "mam"!

You could always just ask them what they prefer! :rolleyes:

As an older yankee now living in the US south, I was taught that titles were one way of showing respect for someone else, irrespective of the other's "call me Dave"--that is, a title is a way of showing an attitude I have toward someone else, really whether or not he thinks he should be shown respect or not. So in the military you address with respect, salute, etc whether or not you (inside) think they deserve it, and even if your CO says "call me Bob". To be sure, there are huge differences between the use of titles, actual respect, formality, etc. But one of the advantages of the social conventions that seem to be falling away in the US (and I've lived in California, so I KNOW where it started!!) was that they took the "I feel comfortable" out of the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back