Samuel Rutherford on the benefit of a lack of assurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
What do you make of the below extract from Samuel Rutherford? Would you ever use this argument if you were trying to help someone with a lack of assurance?

Were assurance always full moon, as Christ’s faith in his saddest soul-trouble was bank-full sea, and full moon; and were our joy ever full, then should the Saints heaven on earth, and their heaven above the visible heavens, differ in the accident of place, and happily, in some fewer degrees of glory; but there is a wisdom of God to be reverenced here.

Samuel Rutherford, Christ dying and drawing sinners to himself (London, 1647), p. 90.

What do you make of the below extract from Samuel Rutherford? Would you ever use this argument if you were trying to help someone with a lack of assurance?

Were assurance always full moon, as Christ’s faith in his saddest soul-trouble was bank-full sea, and full moon; and were our joy ever full, then should the Saints heaven on earth, and their heaven above the visible heavens, differ in the accident of place, and happily, in some fewer degrees of glory; but there is a wisdom of God to be reverenced here.

Samuel Rutherford, Christ dying and drawing sinners to himself (London, 1647), p. 90.

I don't think I'd use it with someone who is content with a lack of assurance for sure, as 2 Peter 1:3-11 pushes the believer toward getting all the assurance that he/she can. The quote would be more useful for a person who is saying, "Lord, thank you for the drops of mercy, yet please bring the floods."

Perhaps he also means that lack of comforts will make us long for heaven?

Sinless perfection and full assurance go hand in hand. Indwelling sin would turn full assurance into carnal security. Full assurance, like perfection, is the aim but not the attainment of the believer in this life.

I think assurance is a a gift and state that every believer is to strive to possess. But I
also believe that the expression to have full assurance of faith is incorrect. Rutherfords
statement could be used to someone who is too presumptuous and self confident, but also
to someone who struggles with the problem and is bowed down with their lack of progress.
But that takes discernment and wisdom.
The term full assurance is in Hebrews 10, and is often misinterpreted. The context there speaks of
a full assurance of Christ as high priest providing a new and living way into the Holiest, a blood sprinkled way.
It s having a full assurance of faith in him and His priestly work. Rather than a getting a full assurance of our
personal faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back