Righteous Anger...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Repre5entYHWH

Puritan Board Freshman
had an interesting talk with my Pastor about the existence about righteous anger. he says that anger is a judicial attribute of God and God alone has the right to judge.

he then goes on to explain Ephesians 4:26
Be angry and Do not Sin
he said that "be angry" although an indicative (i think) he pointed out a few other places where the type of verb is used in the greek. he translated the verse "when you're angry don't continue in sin"

he then challenged me to reconcile he "ALL" in verse 31 with verse 26

Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.

i found it interesting... i figured you guys could have fun with it. :popcorn:

had an interesting talk with my Pastor about the existence about righteous anger. he says that anger is a judicial attribute of God and God alone has the right to judge.

he then goes on to explain Ephesians 4:26
Be angry and Do not Sin
he said that "be angry" although an indicative (i think) he pointed out a few other places where the type of verb is used in the greek. he translated the verse "when you're angry don't continue in sin"

he then challenged me to reconcile he "ALL" in verse 31 with verse 26

Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.

i found it interesting... i figured you guys could have fun with it. :popcorn:

Matthew 5:22 "But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, 'Raca!' shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, 'You fool!' shall be in danger of hell fire.

Matthew Henry writes:
1. Christ tells them that rash anger is heart-murder (v. 22); Whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause, breaks the sixth commandment. By our brother here, we are to understand any person, though ever so much our inferior, as a child, a servant, for we are all made of one blood. Anger is a natural passion; there are cases in which it is lawful and laudable; but it is then sinful, when we are angry without cause. The word is eike, which signifies, sine causâ, sine effectu, et sine modo--without cause, without any good effect, without moderation; so that the anger is then sinful, (1.) When it is without any just provocation given; either for no cause, or no good cause, or no great and proportionable cause; when we are angry at children or servants for that which could not be helped, which was only a piece of forgetfulness or mistake, that we ourselves might easily have been guilty of, and for which we should not have been angry at ourselves; when we are angry upon groundless surmises, or for trivial affronts not worth speaking of. (2.) When it is without any good end aimed at, merely to show our authority, to gratify a brutish passion, to let people know our resentments, and excite ourselves to revenge, then it is in vain, it is to do hurt; whereas if we are at any time angry, it should be to awaken the offender to repentance, and prevent his doing so again; to clear ourselves (2 Cor. vii. 11), and to give warning to others. (3.) When it exceeds due bounds; when we are hardy and headstrong in our anger, violent and vehement, outrageous and mischievous, and when we seek the hurt of those we are displeased at. This is a breach of the sixth commandment, for he that is thus angry, would kill if he could and durst; he has taken the first step toward it; Cain's killing his brother began in anger; he is a murderer in the account of God, who knows his heart, whence murder proceeds, ch. xv. 19.

I think it's pretty clearly permissible to be angry in some circumstances; just look at Jesus in the temple.

Ephesians 4:26 is referring to unrighteous anger.

Matthew 5:22 "But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, 'Raca!' shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, 'You fool!' shall be in danger of hell fire.

"without a cause" seems to be a textual variant and is not in the wescott and hort text... for whatever thats worth.

"without a cause" seems to be a textual variant and is not in the wescott and hort text... for whatever thats worth.

"without cause" εικη is overwhelmingly supported in the Byzantine Text tradition. It is also present in the Vaticanus text 4th century, and cited by Irenaeus, Cyprian, Eusebius, and Chrysostom. Codex Sinaiticus stands almost alone in omitting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back