Retail Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladestunner316

Puritan Board Doctor
There is a good possibility I will be getting a job in retail management as a manage trainee. Does anyone have an experience in this field? any advice?

Blade

I've been in retail sales and sales management, and loss prevention.

Can you tell us a little more about it? Like, what kind of retail? What will you be doing?

The good thing about it is, you typically have a lot of interaction with a large number of people, so it keeps it interesting. Also, the hours can kind of be unconventional, so if you're not married it can offer you an interesting schedule at times (if you like having a weekday off instead of the weekends).

Also, you'll be in a position to lead and influence others, so it can make good opportunities to share Biblical truths in ways that correspond to their work, like work ethic, character, honesty, etc. You might eventually find someone who wants to know more about your faith, like over lunch, a break, or something...

I have no advice since I have no experience, but I will advise you to pray for the harmony of your work environment and wisdom.

Blade-
I started out as a "Management Trainee" just over a year ago....I'm still at the same company and am an Assistant Manager. Great opportunity depending on the program and company.

If you'd like to send me a U2U about what you are looking into, I'll give you my experience....it's been good, but I do have some cautions that I'd rather not put in public.

It will be with Walgreens if it work's out. I've done plenty of retail work my last Job for about 5 year's. I'm just looking for any info that may help while training to be a manager.

Blade

I just sent you a U2U, and read Josh's comment just now.

Don't get stuck in retail. Gain the experience you need to be more marketable...but don't get stuck in retail. It will devour your life, especially a pharmacy open 24/7

The nature of my work demands very, very, very long hours...we're scheduled from 7am to 6pm....but 6pm is never 6pm. Sometimes it's 9pm.

Anyway, understand that "careers" anymore generally are for experience gaining. This makes finding jobs easier than specialization and more security to an extent, but less money. DON'T GET STUCK.

BUT: management training is EXCELLENT for your resume and very worthy of pursuing (disclaimer: working Sunday's isn't worth compromising on).

I was not planning on staying there forever just to gain some experience for awhile - get a vehicle and save some money. Then move on to animal control.

blade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back