Resources on Hellenistic Influences on the Early Church Via LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMK

Administrator
Staff member
Many say Hellenism influenced the LXX. To what degree, if at all, did the Hellenization of the LXX effect the early church. I am looking for resources.

I'm not qualified to give a direct answer to the OP, but I would sure think any determination would need to factor in the Apostle Paul's extensive use of the LXX in his epistles, apparently consisting of some 90%+ of his citations of the OT.

I'm reading through the LXX now, and the biggest issue with it by far just seems to be sometimes it's not a very accurate translation. Sometimes it's fine, especially where the context gives good indicators of the proper reading of the Hebrew, but sometimes it's nonsense. For example, its translations of Jacob's blessings in Genesis 49 are very very poor. Nephtali goes from a "hind let loose" to a "spreading stump."
However, it doesn't strike me as particularly "hellenic" in terms of adopting Greek ideas like a plurality of gods, no creation, endorsing Greek philosophical ideas, etc. One exception might be the apocrypha though, which has some hellenic influences due to being composed in Greek, in the hellenic era. It has sacrifices for the dead, Haman is called a Macedonian, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back