Resources for refuting Eastern Orthodoxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill The Baptist

Puritan Board Graduate
Lately I have been dealing with some people who are being attracted to Eastern Orthodoxy. Does anyone know of any books or articles that refute the claims and theology of Eastern Orthodoxy? I have searched the archives here on the PB, but have not found anything especially helpful. In fact, most of the resources I have found on the web are from RC's who are refuting Orthodox claims, which is not much help. It seems that more and more young people are being attracted to Orthodoxy, and so we are in need of some better resources to combat this.

Bill,

I have two suggestions for you:

1. Through Western Eyes: Eastern Orthodoxy - A Reformed Perspective by Robert Letham

2. Three Views on Eastern Orthodoxy & Evangelicalism (Counterpoints) has Michael Horton as a contributor.

(Side note: Before I became a Calvinist and joined the PCA, I was once a Southern Baptist teen who was very enamored with Eastern Orthodoxy. 15 years later, I'm glad God kept me from becoming an EO catechumen)

Last edited:
Also, try contacting "Reformed Reidian" aka Jacob. He flirted with it for years and should have several posts here about it. He also wrote a good many blog posts, but I can't recall the URL at the moment.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If I recall correctly Horton may also interact at some length with EO writers in his systematic.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

A lot of the problems with RCism applies to EO. Both institutions don't like the doctrinal and devotional language of the other but much of what has separated them has been as much political as doctrinal.

Last edited:
I also second Horton's contribution in that Counterpoint series

I read this, but was honestly a bit disappointed. He did a great job of explaining Orthodox theology, but he was a bit weak in making it clear where there was grave error. In fact, he barely mentioned two of their most heretical doctrines, the use of icons and the veneration of saints. The more I read modern authors the more I appreciate the Puritans and others who were so clear and unapologetic in their writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back