Are Evangelicalism and Eastern Orthodoxy Compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they would be feeling that somehow their spiritual experience being a Christian is not fulfilled until back into the Roman or eastern Church?

Sort of, but it goes deeper than that. You do not get grace unless you are in communion with an apostolic-succession bishop (at the very least; that's a necessary, though not sufficient condition). The grace faucet is turned off until then.

Most converts, like most people in general, don't care for metaphysical discussions (on one level, anyway). Most are overwhelmed by the liturgy (but only if you go to a robust church).

Perry was in an analytic philosophy PhD progarm. Most converts aren't.

I think for many of them, they are reacting to the shallowness that defines much of modern evangelicalism. For some, it seems the best way to counter a culture that is obsessed with the latest fads is to run to something that decidedly not modern. I can certainly sympathize, but ultimately they are merely exchanging modern ecclesiastical excess for ancient ecclesiastical excess.

I think for many of them, they are reacting to the shallowness that defines much of modern evangelicalism. For some, it seems the best way to counter a culture that is obsessed with the latest fads is to run to something that decidedly not modern. I can certainly sympathize, but ultimately they are merely exchanging modern ecclesiastical excess for ancient ecclesiastical excess.

That could be some of it. They are often asked, after looking at the silliness of evangelicalism, if that's how the ancient church worshiped. Of course it isn't. Combine that with some slick arguments against sola Scriptura, and cognitive dissonance builds.

That could be some of it. They are often asked, after looking at the silliness of evangelicalism, if that's how the ancient church worshiped. Of course it isn't. Combine that with some slick arguments against sola Scriptura, and cognitive dissonance builds.
Then they start attacking on just how many separate christian groups there are, how many different theological views, how many different ways to salvation, that the person gets into the mindset that God surely wanted order and structure and one clear voice, so go with the true Church, Apostolic authority, one valid understanding of the scriptures etc.

Then they start attacking on just how many separate christian groups there are, how many different theological views, how many different ways to salvation, that the person gets into the mindset that God surely wanted order and structure and one clear voice, so go with the true Church, Apostolic authority, one valid understanding of the scriptures etc.

And in many cases the attacks are probably warranted. Low-church evangelicalism is in almost complete disarray.

But once you start looking past the surface level, ancient faith groups (for lack of a better term) are often divided on many issues; they just maintain an outward unity to the bishop(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back