Remembering Lee and Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most folks don't realize that Arlington Cemetery is on property that was taken from and never returned to Lee.

I actually just visited Arlington for the first time on Saturday. We were headed up to what we thought was the tomb of the unknown soldier when we stumbled on Arlington house. I could barley contain myself! I'm sure I was drooling a little. :drool: :D

I was heading up to Lexington in the morning for the annual parade and service but may have to rethink it. The temp here this morning was 0 and it's supposed to be the same tomorrow.

There are a lot of truths in that article that used to be common knowledge, but today they are would be shunned even by 'conservatives'. We could do much worse than to teach our sons to emulate Generals Lee and Jackson. (You could also throw in General Stuart as well as many other fine Christian men who served in the Confederate lines.) As a child I portraits of Generals Lee and Jackson hung above my bed from the earliest memories I have. I thank God for each of them.

Last edited:
Well done article. I think the South has been so well vilified for their part in the War and the North so well insulated from their wrongdoings, that any defense of the South makes a man a racist from the get-go. Add a chorus of liberals screeching "four legs good, two legs bad" to overwhelm any reply to that charge, and there is no defense possible when discussing merits of the South.

(On a slightly :offtopic: note, as late as 1839, there were five abolitionist societies in the South for every one up North.)

When my children were growing up, I always reminded them of the birthdays of Jackson (Jan. 21) and Lee (Jan. 19). We made it a home-school holiday. It is nice the federal government gives people a day off each year near those dates (MLK day fall son 19th Jan. this year). I always celebrate it as Lee-Jackson Day. I have been known to brew a batch of ale on that day and name it “Confederate yAle.”

But the government did pay the Lee family for the land.

Yes but only in 1883/1884 after a legal battle which went all the way to the Supreme Court.

The reason the property was confiscated? The Federal government levied property taxes on the estate which were to be paid in person by the owner, Mrs. Lee, who I believe was bedridden at the time. Obviously it would have been difficult for her to cross the battle lines! During the war she tried to have a proxy pay the taxes but the government refused to accept the payment. :um:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back