Reformed, Covenant, or Westminster

Status
Not open for further replies.
So just out of curiosity have you decided yet?

No, I'm still waiting on Westminster. The church reference got lost in mail (WHY USPS WHY!!!!), so I'm asking my church reference to write it again but send it through a fax machine. So, I'll probably get a response in a week or two. I'm most likely going to RTS, but I want to wait for Westminster to make my decision final.

I would think that might militate a bit against Covenant. One of the independents you are considering might be less of an issue. I'd at least explore that with your home church.

Yeah, my home pastor wants me to go to Westminster. He's kind of pushing me to go there.

Not many people are putting in a vote between the three, so I will go ahead and vote Westminster Philly. You'll get a good education at any of them, but Westminster's M.Div. is simply more rigorous, especially in Systematics and Biblical Theology. Just make sure you take some CCEF classes to help you apply the theology. A Westminster M.Div. almost a 4-year degree, though, and will cost you more and take you longer to finish.

Also, there are a lot of other Koreans there. One of my good friends met his Korean wife at WTS. Just sayin'.

I actually want the rigorous theological training, but yeah the cost is the issue. I hope to receive some scholarships/aids there and that my home church is able to support me financially, if I get in. Oh, and finding a wife would be great, as well! :lol:

As I said, I'll be going to Westminster! I know you don't know me very well, but that should be enough for you!

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

for the people who would exploit that ambiguity, that means you should come to WTS, not stay away :p

I was going to suggest Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary (RPTS: Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary) in Pittsburgh, however you said that you didn't want any others added to your list for consideration. So I guess I won't suggest that you consider RPTS, but rather that you reconsider "This list is final for me. No more applications."

Once you've reconsidered that, then I'll have a suggestion for you.

;^)

Also, RTS and Covenant Seminary both have free lectures online. This would be a good way to preview some of the professors that you might take.

I got an acceptance email from Westminster after one day of processing, and apparently, Gordon-Conwell is processing my application when I didn't even pay for the application fee. God is confusing me right now!

Congratulations on getting into Westminster!

Gordon-Conwell is also a great seminary. If you're set on getting a distinctively Reformed education, go to Westminster, but if you want a more broadly evangelical education, Gordon-Conwell's faculty is simply outstanding in every department. Also, there are a number of PCA professors there (I took a class from Richard Lints), and also David Wells, who is a confessionally reformed congregationalist.

I've eliminated Covenant for sure.

I am debating between Westminster and Refomed. Even though, Westminster has the academic prestige, but Reformed has the professors and pastors I want to learn under and be mentored.

One thing you could do is start at RTS and take the professors that you want, and then later transfer the credits to Westminster and finish your degree there. I spread my seminary coursework between two seminaries so that I could take the classes and professors I wanted, when I wanted, and get my degree from the more prestigious seminary.

If you are planning to switch seminaries, make sure that your courses will transfer and be accepted as suitable substitutes by the seminary you want to graduate from. I believe some of the RTS OT courses do not have a language component, where the equivalent courses at WTS do. So you might end up having to retake courses. Check with the admissions office.

Hey everyone,

I've decided to go to Westminster this Fall. Thank you all for your advice and help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back