Questions about Isaiah 53

Status
Not open for further replies.

cih1355

Puritan Board Junior
Isaiah 53:4 says that He bore our griefs and carried our sorrows. What are these griefs and sorrows and why does He carry them?

Isaiah 53:5 says that we are healed by His scourging. What is meant by healing?

The context is one of a Mediator taking upon himself the guilt of sin. The guilt of sin is the source of all our griefs and sorrows. These Christ has borne.

Healing also is related to sin. We can have regeneration (healing from the power of sin) because of Christ's death.

Matthew 8:16-17

When evening had come, they brought to Him many who were demon-possessed. And He cast out the spirits with a word, and healed all who were sick, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying:

“He Himself took our infirmities
And bore our sicknesses.”

I thought the healing of diseases referred to, in addition to healing from sin, the ultimate healing of our bodies in resurrection. It's misquoted often enough by charismatics, but is it wrong to see this literal side of it? Though, of course, the healing from sin is what makes this possible.

While I don't reject the physical aspects of healing here, I think they are more the consequence of what Isaiah is talking about. He is very much focused on sin. This is quite clear from the imputation language in verse 11.

While I don't reject the physical aspects of healing here, I think they are more the consequence of what Isaiah is talking about. He is very much focused on sin. This is quite clear from the imputation language in verse 11.

Ah! Thanks so much!

Isaiah 53:5 says that He was crushed for our iniquities. What is meant by crushed? Is it another way of saying, "beaten"?

We were healed not of diseases, but of transgressions, sins and iniquities.

Crushed can also mean bruised, wounded, punished, hurt or broken.

I find the best way to understand this is from Simon Peter:

He Himself bore our sins in His body on the tree, so that, having died to sins, we might live for righteousness; by His wounding you have been healed. (1 Peter 2:24)

In Isaiah 53:6 we see what is being referenced in 53:5.

We all went astray like sheep; we all have turned to our own way; and the LORD has punished Him (meaning Jesus) for the iniquity of us all. (Isaiah 53:6)

I believe what is meant by "crushed" is God's full weight of wrath was poured upon Christ and thus He paid in full our debt.

Isaiah 53:4 says that He bore our griefs and carried our sorrows. What are these griefs and sorrows and why does He carry them?

Might there be a connection between Isaiah 53 and something earlier in Isaiah 6?

6:8 I heard the voice of the sovereign master say, “Whom will I send? Who will go on our behalf?” I answered, “Here I am, send me!” 6:9 He said, “Go and tell these people:
‘Listen continually, but don’t understand!
Look continually, but don’t perceive!’
6:10 Make the hearts of these people calloused;
make their ears deaf and their eyes blind!
Otherwise they might see with their eyes and hear with their ears,
their hearts might understand and they might repent and be healed.”

Might there be a connection between Isaiah 53 and something earlier in Isaiah 6?

6:8 I heard the voice of the sovereign master say, “Whom will I send? Who will go on our behalf?” I answered, “Here I am, send me!” 6:9 He said, “Go and tell these people:
‘Listen continually, but don’t understand!
Look continually, but don’t perceive!’
6:10 Make the hearts of these people calloused;
make their ears deaf and their eyes blind!
Otherwise they might see with their eyes and hear with their ears,
their hearts might understand and they might repent and be healed.”

This theme of Israel's blindness, deafness, and hard heart-edness runs through Isaiah:

Is 29:9 Be delayed and wait,
Blind yourselves and be blind; They become drunk, but not with wine,
They stagger, but not with strong drink.
29:10 For the LORD has poured over you a spirit of deep sleep,
He has shut your eyes, the prophets;
And He has covered your heads, the seers.
29:11 To you this entire prophetic revelation is like words in a sealed scroll. When they hand it to one who can read and say, “Read this,” he responds, “I can’t, because it is sealed.”
29:12 Or when they hand the scroll to one who can’t read and say, “Read this,” he says, “I can’t read".

42:18 “Listen, you deaf ones!
Take notice, you blind ones!
42:19 My servant is truly blind,
my messenger is truly deaf.
My covenant partner, the servant of the Lord, is truly blind.
42:20 You see many things, but don’t comprehend;
their ears are open, but do not hear.”

43:8 Bring out the people who are blind, even though they have eyes,
those who are deaf, even though they have ears!

51:21 So listen to this, oppressed one,
who is drunk, but not from wine!

52:7 How delightful it is to see approaching over the mountains
the feet of a messenger who announces peace,
a messenger who brings good news, who announces deliverance,
who says to Zion, “Your God reigns!”
52:8 Listen, your watchmen shout;
in unison they shout for joy,
for they see with their very own eyes
the Lord’s return to Zion.

Status
Not open for further replies.