Question re: Eph. 4:26

No Other Name

Puritan Board Sophomore
What exactly does it mean to "be angry" and sin not? I know this does not conflict the warnings against hating anyone, I can see that. But what if someone makes an error and it makes you angry but not sinning? Is it hating the fault and not the faulter?

i believe its firstly a heart issue, followed by examing the object and intensity of your anger.
For motive, i imagine its quite clear that we must have only godly anger. However, when considering the object and intensity of the matter, we must be careful not to direct it to the wrong object, hence be slow to anger. If we're slow to anger, we can better examine and direct our anger to a specific thing. For intensity, we have to be sure our level of anger is the right measure for the situation. Did the person sin without knowing? Don't explode on them. Did the person cheat on their wife, don't go in a joyful attitude but in a serious spirit with the proper level of anger. In other words, don't rebuke when an admonition is needed. Likewise, don't correct them when a rebuke is needed.

What exactly does it mean to "be angry" and sin not? I know this does not conflict the warnings against hating anyone, I can see that. But what if someone makes an error and it makes you angry but not sinning? Is it hating the fault and not the faulter?

It almost seems that you are attributing the sin to "being angry" rather than breaches of the Ten Commandments, which would be sin.
I'll stop and wait for a reply.

Angry is good. God is angry. You are angry when the things you love are being threatened. Indifference is lovelessnees.

Is it hating the fault and not the faulter?
Hatred and anger, proportionate with the fault, is appropriate toward the fault and the one who commits it. But you’re angry with the person as sinner, not with the person per se. Usually our anger is uncontrolled, misdirected and disproportionally applied to perceived slights against ourselves, or connected to pride and envy. But anger and hatred of sin is appropriate and a lack of it would be a lack of conformity with God's will.

It almost seems that you are attributing the sin to "being angry" rather than breaches of the Ten Commandments, which would be sin.
I'll stop and wait for a reply.

I am asking what does it mean to be angry and sin not? Understanding the issue of the heart, does it solely consist of hating the offense but never the offender?

Back