Question for those who hold to amillennialism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. My Pastor has loaned me A Case for Amillennialism by Kim Riddlebarger. I have only read the intro so far and it sounds solid, anyone read this? Feedback? Thoughts?:book2::book2::book2:

He does an excellent job on the wackier forms of dispensationalism. He, like many postmillennialists, tries to pretend that progressive dispensationalism doesn't exist. Not impressed with his treatment on Ladd. He refuses to deal with the harder questions posed by Postmillennialism. He simply refutes preterism by saying "Well, it is not already not yet so it is wrong."

It also lacks an index, which is annoying.

OK. My Pastor has loaned me A Case for Amillennialism by Kim Riddlebarger. I have only read the intro so far and it sounds solid, anyone read this? Feedback? Thoughts?:book2::book2::book2:

He does an excellent job on the wackier forms of dispensationalism. He, like many postmillennialists, tries to pretend that progressive dispensationalism doesn't exist. Not impressed with his treatment on Ladd. He refuses to deal with the harder questions posed by Postmillennialism. He simply refutes preterism by saying "Well, it is not already not yet so it is wrong."

It also lacks an index, which is annoying.
Thank you Brother, I will keep these things in my mind as I read the book! Remember: I have not commited to a position, shoot, it may all be over my head and I may never find one.;) But honestly, I am trying to stay open minded on this issue. Thank you for that feedback though!:book2:

Venema's book The Promise of the Future is probably a better treatment of the Amil view and he does try to be more ecumenical with the postmils. :2cents:

Venema's book The Promise of the Future is probably a better treatment of the Amil view and he does try to be more ecumenical with the postmils. :2cents:

Venema is good. I recommend him. In some ways Hoekema complements Veneam. Hoekema was one of the first to really advocate a more "earthy" treatment of the eschaton, which is very good. Hoekema's drawback is that he uses scholarese. But I do like most of Hoekema's work and would recommend it to the intermediate-advanced reader.

I have found reading this thread quite interesting, as I am also somewhat open in eschatology. I have seldom posted to this board since joining, but I certainly have found the discussions of learned people very stimulating and helpful.
Until fairly recently, I would have labeled myself a "moderate dispensationalist." Now, I'm kind of "hovering" over historic premil. and amil. I was planning to purchase and read Riddlebarger's book but, after reading a couple of these posts, I'm thinking I should be getting Hoekema's instead.

If the amil position is really true, how do you explain this amazing evidence for futurism?

ClintonasPredictedbytheBookofRevela.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

But we can start another thread to debate the merits of either sytem if you want. He asked why Amil's believe it, so I answered.

I'm sure that it has been debated ad infinitum here before. However, I would love to hear what some of you amills think about the strength of the system and what the best resources are to make the case.

My update:I am into the 6th Chapter of Riddlebargers book, SO FAR, it is leading me to a more Amill. position. The book is well written, convincing and mot importantly filled with Scripture references. As I said, I am meeting with my Pastor every Thursday and have a few questions, but the arguments thus far seem quite solid!:2cents:

My update:I am into the 6th Chapter of Riddlebargers book, SO FAR, it is leading me to a more Amill. position. The book is well written, convincing and mot importantly filled with Scripture references. As I said, I am meeting with my Pastor every Thursday and have a few questions, but the arguments thus far seem quite solid!:2cents:

Riddlebarger is a competent scholar. But here is something I have noticed (and I am going to pick on theonomists, too, so to appear like I am being fair). Riddlebarger is a Klinean. That means taht most of his eschatology boils down to "already-not yet." While a useful concept, it is usually a cliche to avoid the harder quesitons. Similar to theonomists reducing every ethical question to "By what standard?"

KR has a good book. Had he taken the extra time to deal wtih the better arguments of his opponents, it would be a great book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back