Please critique my argument for non-Psalm singing

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are technical and general uses of the word "psalm" in Puritan literature. In my review of Murray I go through a number of uses where it cannot refer to something uninspired. There was a favourite saying among some of the Puritans -- sing David's psalms with David's Spirit. This cannot refer to anything other than Spirit-inspired Psalms.

But as Chris has said, however the term is used in secondary literature, it cannot overturn the prima facie meaning in the Standards. The fact is, these men were discussing what was to become a uniform worship practice for at least three kingdoms. They spoke of a book of psalms, of lining out of the psalms, and worked on their own metricated version of the Psalms of David for worship. No provision was made for the introduction of man mande hymns. In fact, the Scottish practice of singing the doxology was abandoned because it did not agree with the majority of the divines' view of Scriptural worship.

Originally posted by armourbearer
There are technical and general uses of the word "psalm" in Puritan literature. In my review of Murray I go through a number of uses where it cannot refer to something uninspired. There was a favourite saying among some of the Puritans -- sing David's psalms with David's Spirit. This cannot refer to anything other than Spirit-inspired Psalms.

But as Chris has said, however the term is used in secondary literature, it cannot overturn the prima facie meaning in the Standards. The fact is, these men were discussing what was to become a uniform worship practice for at least three kingdoms. They spoke of a book of psalms, of lining out of the psalms, and worked on their own metricated version of the Psalms of David for worship. No provision was made for the introduction of man mande hymns. In fact, the Scottish practice of singing the doxology was abandoned because it did not agree with the majority of the divines' view of Scriptural worship.
Matthew,

Is this review of yours available, online or otherwise? I'm aware of several critiques of Murray's booklet (Keddie, Mohon, Watts), but wasn't aware of one written by yourself.

Sean,

It was written for Credo Quarterly. Chronologically I think it was the first. It is available in pdf if desired. Please send me an email, and I will attach the review in response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back