Non-Psalm but Scripture Singing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
If you are familiar with Psalm singing, then you might understand what I am seeking.

I am seeking not Psalms but other parts of Scripture (metrical translations) which have been set to reverent tunes.

Anybody know of any?

The mid 18th century CofS song books may have some; there was an early attempt do this, more likely for private use than public worship, circa 1650; a century later such settings along with hymns were approved for use and I assume these would have begun to have been printed in their song book.

The mid 18th century CofS song books may have some; there was an early attempt do this, more likely for private use than public worship, circa 1650; a century later such settings along with hymns were approved for use and I assume these would have begun to have been printed in their song book.

That reminds me: I have a Brown's Bible from the 19th century. At the back of it are 150 metrical Psalms, plus 66 passages of Scripture in metrical form (set to common meter).

That sounds like it; the 66 probably not coming all out at once (?) but up to the time that volume was published.

That reminds me: I have a Brown's Bible from the 19th century. At the back of it are 150 metrical Psalms, plus 66 passages of Scripture in metrical form (set to common meter).

Brown's Bible is a KJV with annotations and all kinds of other "helps" by John Brown of Haddington. I'm sure that there must be an online copy of it available somewhere, whether on Google Books or Internet Archive.

They're usually called "paraphrases", in distinction from the Psalms, or from non-canonical hymns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back