PCA Growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calvinbeza

Puritan Board Freshman
PCA is growing steadily, through church planting (in recent years some independent Korean also Anglo congregations, a few PC(USA), a dozen RCA churches joined, recently an RCA church in Bloomington MN, as well University Ref. Church) What do you think the PCA will reach 1 million memberhip peak?

PCA is growing steadily

Not sure I accept your premise. Reported numbers are fairly flat. Of course with a large group of (presumably smaller) churches not reporting at all (roughly half report), actual total membership and attendance is, at best, an educated guess.

2009 Communicants 273,388
2013 Communicants 287,817

As for the 'steadily', one of those years showed a net loss.

I wonder sometimes if our growth is stunted by the thought within our denomination, generally speaking, that every person is an evangelist?

I've always been a little ambivalent about these "growth reports". It's interesting to me how the problem with growth is that everyone is doing something wrong at a local Church except the pastors of local Churches who are articulating that the PCA is doing something wrong or we would see more growth.

Given the hemorrhaging in most Christian denominations, one might look at the fact that the PCA's numbers are flat as remarkable. I'm not saying we're perfect or that we cannot be more faithful. I'm simply noting that where some denoinations (even conservative) are losing numbers, even small growth can be looked at as pretty remarkable since we're replacing more than we lose in some cases.

I think it is not as small, in 2013 PCA membership was 367,000, 12,000 more than in the year of 2012. Thats bigger than the complete membership of the Netherlands Reformed Congregations in North America, and the Protestant Reformed Churches in North America. A 12,000 member growth is not a small growth, I thik.

in 2013 PCA membership was 367,000, 12,000 more than in the year of 2012

Communicant membership....285,728
Non-communicant..................73,970
Total...................................364,019

Communicant membership....287,817
Non-communicant..................74,800
Total...................................367,033

Less than 2100 growth in communicant members. Less than 1000 for non-communicants. Not sure where you are getting your 2012 numbers; mine are from the Stated Clerk's letter. PCA Statistics Five Year Summary | Presbyterian Church in America: Administrative Committee

And I'd call 1% fairly flat. It didn't keep up with the country's population growth percentage that year. (Calculate by date here Population Clock)

I've always been a little ambivalent about these "growth reports". It's interesting to me how the problem with growth is that everyone is doing something wrong at a local Church except the pastors of local Churches who are articulating that the PCA is doing something wrong or we would see more growth.

Given the hemorrhaging in most Christian denominations, one might look at the fact that the PCA's numbers are flat as remarkable. I'm not saying we're perfect or that we cannot be more faithful. I'm simply noting that where some denoinations (even conservative) are losing numbers, even small growth can be looked at as pretty remarkable since we're replacing more than we lose in some cases.

I don't disagree with what you said.

But we always need to keep in mind that 1) data capture is grossly incomplete. 2) the data that is capture is of questionable accuracy - rolls probably need to be purged every 5 years, and not all churches are doing that. 3) What we are doing now at the denominational level may not be working as well as what we were doing then.

What is obvious to me is we the PCA as a denomination ought to go where The Lord is working for growth and also stay faithful to the sheep that are in the fold which should not be neglected for missions as I have seen to often.

I don't disagree with what you said.

But we always need to keep in mind that 1) data capture is grossly incomplete. 2) the data that is capture is of questionable accuracy - rolls probably need to be purged every 5 years, and not all churches are doing that. 3) What we are doing now at the denominational level may not be working as well as what we were doing then.

I have no way of knowing 1). I'm sure there are those who don't report. Having been a Clerk for my local Session for 4 years, I can tell you we kept very accurate records both locally and, in the main, at the Presbytery level. If numbers are off they are not of the same "error rate" as Churches that have little concern for who is/isn't still on the rolls.

Personally I would expect a significant split over FV and perhaps some other issues such that they will get smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back