Paedocommunion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by NaphtaliPress
Is AA's practice because of PCA policy? ie what is their theory and what would they do if out of the PCA?
Originally posted by Draught Horse
There is also the distinction between early child communion and paedocommunion. Auburn Ave, for instance, practices the former. In the former the child appears before the elders, etc.

Early childhood communion with "age appropriate confessions" to the elders (e.g. "Jesus loves me," "God made me" ) is practical paedocommunion. It is a distinction without a difference.

Originally posted by fredtgreco
Originally posted by NaphtaliPress
Is AA's practice because of PCA policy? ie what is their theory and what would they do if out of the PCA?
Originally posted by Draught Horse
There is also the distinction between early child communion and paedocommunion. Auburn Ave, for instance, practices the former. In the former the child appears before the elders, etc.

Early childhood communion with "age appropriate confessions" to the elders (e.g. "Jesus loves me," "God made me" ) is practical paedocommunion. It is a distinction without a difference.

:ditto:

Originally posted by BaptistInCrisis
Originally posted by Pilgrim
Originally posted by Pilgrim
Since I started this thread allow me to explain why I am having concerns.

First, all of you know that I am Baptist, Reformed but still Baptist. Our church does not question anyone who partakes of communion. It is up to the individual to search their heart to determine if they are partaking of the sacrament in a worthy manner. Secondly, we leave it up to parents to decide as to the spiritual state of their children and whether they should partake. Since our church is small it is not difficult to know people and where they stand in their spiritual maturity. At this point it is more my conscience bothering me then anything else. I have seen children partake of communion when there is a real question about whether they are in Christ.

I know you...my dear Presbyterian brothers may approach your response from a Presbyterian perspective. Not being an expert on Presbyterian polity I have little else to draw from except the scriptures.

[Edited on 4-16-2006 by BaptistInCrisis]

Are those who partake baptized first?

Not always. And here is the condumrum I am facing. Paul writes:

1 Corinthians 11:27-30 27 Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner, shall be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For he who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself, if he does not judge the body rightly. 30 For this reason many among you are weak and sick, and a number sleep.

I have to wonder how well a child is able to examine himself prior to partaking of the elements. Certainly parents can sit down with a child and discuss the state of the childs spiritual life. But this is highly impractical, especially in churches that practice the sacrament weekly. I realize I am not blazing new ground. I'm just asking.

Bill, I wonder what their grounds are for such a practice in a presumably Baptist church, where the historic practice was closed communion (although few Baptist churches practice it today--don't get in a huff Baptists, I'm not accusing you of Landmarkism :p). Bunyan did not consider baptism (one way or another) to be a bar to communion but I think did require a profession of faith. I think Presbyterian and other paedobaptists who practice paedocommunion are way off, although I can see philosophically (although certainly not scripturally) where they're coming from. But I've never heard of this practice in a Baptist church, if the child is not at least required to confess their faith before the pastor or elders.

There is an EPC church I attended for a while who has a practice similar to what you describe, where it is basically left up to the parents, and unbaptized children partake. I doubt that the pastor and elders are too keen on unbaptized children partaking, but their practice pretty much inevitably leads to some doing so. They basically urge parents to try to ensure their children know something of what communion is and what the gospel is before they partake but don't do much beyond that to fence the table.

Chris, our church is getting in touch with Spurgeonesque Baptist practices. We are a congregation that is heading more to the Reformed view than vice versa. Time will tell where we wind up in regards to communion. I'm interested in Spurgeon's view of communion. It is something I am going to research.

I'm glad to hear that your congregation is headed in the right direction.
I know that Spurgeon took heat from Particular Baptist brethren because he opened the table to paedobaptists at his meetings, which were often very large gatherings. This is apparently almost the universal practice in Baptist churches today (Lankmarkers, etc. excepted) but it was evidently rare at that time among Baptists to allow those who had not been immersed in a Baptist church to come to the Lord's Table.

Chris - in our church the Lord's table is open to anyone who professes to be a believer in Jesus Christ. I have some opinions on that but I will save them for my next elders meeting. Our pastor frequents this board and I would not want to share something here that would be new news for him. I would rather he hear it from me.

Originally posted by Paul manata
I am not sure if this topic belongs here. Please let me know if it needs to be moved.

More and more I am developing a negative view of paedocommunion. I am interested in articles and research in support and against the practice.

Thanks.

This isn't an article, but it may help: breast milk is not a sacrament
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back