Paedocommunion - Arguments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by fredtgreco
Originally posted by raderag
I have said it before, so it is no shock - this is a line in the sand, a line worth breaking fellowship over.

You are drawing the line at those that can reasonably profess the faith, right?

Yes. Paedocommunion is so serious and systemic an error that men who espouse the position should not be permitted to minister in bodies that confess the Westminister Confession.

I agree. The problem is that most that hold to pc also hold to much worse doctrine such as AA, FV, NPP, etc. So, if we aren't going to do something about those, I doubt we will do something about PC.

Originally posted by AdamM
If it were me, I would examine the child, and when it became obvious (barring some sort of miracle) that the 3 year old did not have a credible profession, I would deny the transfer. Then let them complain to the Presbytery, where they would be shot down. If they wanted to take it to GA, then it would provide an opportunity to have charges filed against the transferring Session.

Agreed Fred.

I find it ironic that many of the paedocommunion advocates profess to have a high view of the Church, but when it comes to their "issue" that all gets tossed right out the window. So no matter what kind of disruption it causes (as evidenced by the 3 year old trying to transfer in as a communing member - good grief!), no matter that the Reformed Churches have ruled over and over that the practice is contra-confessional, on this issue, the paedocommunion folks simply thumb their noses at the church and go about their business as if they were hard-core independents.

This post almost made me laugh because it is all too true. I know one Reformed denomination that had a congregation try to tie them up in knots to stop them from making a definitive ruling on paedocommunion. Sickening and truly divisive.

PA: 'We love the Church! We will obey her in all things! Long live Mother Kirk!'

Kirk: 'Stop practicing and advocating paedocommunion!'

PA: 'Hah hah! We don't have to do what you say!
dgd.gif

Kirk: Goodbye! :scholar:

[Edited on 8-16-2005 by poimen]

Originally posted by raderag
I have said it before, so it is no shock - this is a line in the sand, a line worth breaking fellowship over.

You are drawing the line at those that can reasonably profess the faith, right?

Yes. Paedocommunion is so serious and systemic an error that men who espouse the position should not be permitted to minister in bodies that confess the Westminister Confession.

Fred (or anyone), do you know how many (ballpark) in the PCA hold to Paedocommunion? 5, 10 100?

[Edited on 8-16-2005 by webmaster]

I hope this is a good question, as I am somewhat ignorant on church discipline issues, and the question is relevant to a real example I am aware of....

How much room should we allow for those who hold to paedocommunion, are teachers of some kind in a local church, yet that local church does not allow it to be taught or preached? Do we disfellowship with them anyways? Do we disfellowship with that church? Can we even allow members to hold this in private, since this issue is considered to be a dividing line worth breaking fellowship over?

[Edited on 8-17-2005 by RAS]

All of my acquaintances that hold to PC are FV/AA people as well. Every single one. And, all of them deny that salvation has much, if anything, to do with "subjective conversion" or "individual conversion." Rather, everything, including regeneration, justification, and election, is made "corporate" and understood in a "covenantal" sense.

When asked if we should ask our children (who partake of the LS from birth ala PC) to profess faith, they vehemently say NO. We are to treat our children as elect, justified, regenerate children, and tell them to think that they are so as well.

How much room should we allow for those who hold to paedocommunion, are teachers of some kind in a local church, yet that local church does not allow it to be taught or preached? Do we disfellowship with them anyways? Do we disfellowship with that church? Can we even allow members to hold this in private, since this issue is considered to be a dividing line worth breaking fellowship over?

Alan, I think you will get a range of opinions here, but I think there is a difference between someone like G.I. Williamson who holds the view, but in submission to the Church does not teach it, advocate it or alter church practice to fit his views. In fact Williamson wrote a relatively scathing editorial in the OPC journal denouncing those who were publicly advocating paedocommunion. His point was that for elders to publicly promote a contra-confessional practice attacks the foundation of confessional system. So I would put men of that stripe in a whole different category then many we see today, whose main thrust is not making the case to their Church court, but instead seem to direct their main efforts to publicly undermining in books and on the web the confessional teachings on the matter.

Just my $0.02.

If anyone knows the percent of those adhering to PC today in the PCA, I'm just curious. Certianly the FV is growing rapidly in the PCA which is more dangerous that PC but usually sits with it.

As for breaking fellowship over it - that would depend, as some suggest, in my view, as to whether they adhere to FV, AA, NPP. If they are subverting the Gospel, that is one thing. Denying justification or changing justification is anathema.

I would not have broken fellowship with Augustine, even if he did believe in PC, or even baptismal regeneration.

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
All of my acquaintances that hold to PC are FV/AA people as well. Every single one.

Gabe, I am sure that what you are saying is true, regarding your personal experience with PC people.

Nevertheless, I do just want to remind everyone that PC and FV/AA do not always go together. For example, R.C. Sproul Jr. (whom I respect very much), is PC, but is not FV/AA.

I don't agree with Sproul Jr.'s PC, but he is quite solid in other important ways. His book, "Almighty Over All", is an excellent read on God's Sovereignty, even offering a plausible argument for how sin entered the world in the first place.

Originally posted by webmaster

R. C. Sproul Jr., Tim Gallant, G. I. Williamson, James Jordan, Peter Leithart, Robert Rayburn Jr., C. John "Jack" Collins, Steve Wilkins, Gary North, R. J. Rushdoony, Andrew Sandlin, Ray Sutton, Curtis Crenshaw, N. T. Wright, William Willimon.

I believe Vern Poythress also is in favor of paedocommunion. He is of course a prolific author, and a professor at Westminster Seminary in Philly. I listened to him on the most recent edition of "St. Anne's Pub", and he seemed to make it pretty clear that he would practice paedocommunion if his denomination allowed it.

Here's the most recent edition of "St. Anne's Pub", if you want to listen online: http://www.stannespub.com/ . . . The title of this edition is "Leading Your Little Ones To Christ".

Originally posted by biblelighthouse
Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
All of my acquaintances that hold to PC are FV/AA people as well. Every single one.

Gabe, I am sure that what you are saying is true, regarding your personal experience with PC people.

Nevertheless, I do just want to remind everyone that PC and FV/AA do not always go together. For example, R.C. Sproul Jr. (whom I respect very much), is PC, but is not FV/AA.

I don't agree with Sproul Jr.'s PC, but he is quite solid in other important ways. His book, "Almighty Over All", is an excellent read on God's Sovereignty, even offering a plausible argument for how sin entered the world in the first place.

I agree. One of my acquaintances--R.C. Sproul Jr--is not Federal Vision, yet he is PC.

Sproul Jr graciously agreed to an interview with me earlier this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back