Paedo vs Credo: Main point of contention?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steadfast7

Puritan Board Junior
Hey brothers,

when it comes to Paedo vs Credo baptism, what would you say is the main point of contention that creates the impasse we see? In other words, what's the ONE issue, that if resolved, would end the debate once for all and put everyone on the same side?

also, one more question:

is it possible for a Baptist to believe that the Church is Israel? why/not?

cheers.

First question: the covenant of grace specifically, or the understanding of biblical covenants generally:

Heidelberg Catechism, Q&A 74

74. Q. Should infants, too, be baptized?
A. Yes. Infants as well as adults belong to God's covenant and congregation. Through Christ's blood the redemption from sin and the Holy Spirit, who works faith, are promised to them no less than to adults. Therefore, by baptism, as sign of the covenant, they must be grafted into the Christian church and distinguished from the children of unbelievers. This was done in the old covenant by circumcision, in place of which baptism was instituted in the new covenant.

Second question: I will let the Baptists speak for themselves.

Hey brothers,

when it comes to Paedo vs Credo baptism, what would you say is the main point of contention that creates the impasse we see? In other words, what's the ONE issue, that if resolved, would end the debate once for all and put everyone on the same side?

cheers.

The main point of contention has to do with the people whom God makes a covenant with today. Does God make a covenant with believers only or not?

Hey brothers,

cheers.

The main point of contention has to do with the people whom God makes a covenant with today. Does God make a covenant with believers only or not?

see, this makes sense to me. From the paedo view, I just seem to lose the meaning of covenant, that thing which was instituted in the blood of Christ, which makes atonement for the elect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Credos tend to look at things from more of an internal perspective. Is so-and-so regenerate? Or at least, do we have good reason to believe so?

We paedos tend to emphasize external aspects somewhat more. God makes a covenant with professing believers and their households under their rule. Both adults and children in the covenant can apostatize, but the children, like their parents, are expected to keep the covenant they are raised in. Who is and is not truly regenerate is not something we can see (although there are fruits).

That's one of the main differences, though undoubtedly there are others. I am somewhat overgeneralizing to highlight the difference in emphasis that exists.

Hey brothers,

You are assuming at the beginning that the issue hasn't been resolved. I think most of us (paedos and credos) are so bold as to believe it has been resolved. :D One need only think of predestination to realize that an issue can be thoroughly resolved, yet not embraced by all.

From what I've read, the main issue are the definitions/degrees of continuity and discontinuity of the covenant(s).

-----Added 11/2/2009 at 07:02:20 EST-----

Hey brothers,

You are assuming at the beginning that the issue hasn't been resolved. I think most of us (paedos and credos) are so bold as to believe it has been resolved. :D

:ditto:
I don't think anyone's budging : )

One more thing:

Baptism also relates to ceremonial cleansing in the OT, and paedobaptists view our children as being in need of this sign of being ceremonially clean. By virtue of being the children of believers, they have a stake in the forgiveness offered in Christ's blood, if they persevere to the end and prove to be truly his disciples (the same applies to adults).

In the credo camp, the tendency is to emphasize baptism as being a public declaration of faith and repentance that has already taken place and that the person can personally attest to.

Edit: In other words, the two groups stress different purposes of baptism. While Reformed Baptists and Reformed paedobaptists may have the same basic view of its purpose in substance, we still have different emphases. We Reformed paedos tend to emphasize the ceremonial cleansing and the remission of sins aspect of it, while in the Reformed Baptist view, the emphasis is slightly more on the public statement aspect of it.

Last edited:
One will need to distinguish between reformed Anabaptists and unreformed Anabaptists. The point of difference with the unreformed is fundamentally soteriological. Regeneration is produced by faith, and faith is assent to gospel teaching, so there is no Christian life without personal assent to gospel teaching. Obviously there is no place for infant inclusion in this scheme. If infants are saved it is by another means altogether, i.e., either a wideness in God's mercy or a denial of original sin.

It is worthwhile observing that in unreformed paedobaptism the role of personal assent is replaced by sacramental efficacy and sacerdotalism.

In reformed Anabaptism the precedence of regeneration is recognised but the idea of faith as personal assent to gospel doctrine is still retained. Covenant schematics really has nothing to do with it. The covenant schema is devised merely to explain why infants are excluded in the New Testament whereas they were included in the Old Testament. There is no real connection between covenant and baptism in reformed Anabaptist thought. Baptism is a mere sign that accompanies an individual's personal assent to gospel doctrine. It is a picture that the believer has died with Christ, been buried with Christ (immersion thus becomes necessary), and is raised to new life in Christ. One could remove the distinctive new covenant concept and it would not materially alter the reformed Anabaptist view of baptism.

The real state of the question, therefore, has nothing to do with the continuity of the covenants per se, but with the nature of saving faith and the covenant salvation of infants.

I think you mean "Reformed Baptists". :)

There's a difference between baptists and Anabaptists, mainly on the subject of separation from the world and pacifism.

There's a difference between baptists and Anabaptists, mainly on the subject of separation from the world and pacifism.
Oh, what a lovely signature you have there! :lol:

Edit: Note that I wrote that before you added the second line.

If he does he's got it wrong - i think he means "Reformed Anabaptists" : )

No, I mean Reformed Anabaptists. The Reformed are true baptisers. "Baptists" rebaptise people who were truly baptised as infants. That makes them Anabaptists.

also, one more question:

cheers.

If you mean in the same sense as WCF and the Three Forms of Unity, then for the Convental Baptists, Yes. I would commend to you the tabular comparison of the Westminster, Savoy, and Baptist Confessions of Faith.
Tabular Comparison of 1646 WCF, 1658 Savoy Declaration, the 1677/1689 LBCF, and the 1742 PCF

For the Dispensational Baptists No.
For Reformed Anabaptists - i can't answer. I wasn't even aware there was such an animal until a few minutes ago.

Last edited:

No, I mean Reformed Anabaptists. The Reformed are true baptisers. "Baptists" rebaptise people who were truly baptised as infants. That makes them Anabaptists.

??? Fair enough, I suppose, as long as we allow the Baptists to say:

"The Baptists are true baptizers. 'Reformed' baptize people who are biblically ineligible for baptism. That makes them nonbaptizers (or maybe Quakers?)."

:lol:

Actually, as long as the "rules" of the PB permit the WCF AND the LBCF, it probably does not help dialog to invoke either kind of rhetoric. Yes, we know that the paedo and credo folks think that they are right and the other side is wrong. However, most of the Baptists on this board want to be associated with "Anabaptists" about as much as the credo folk here want to be associated with the Federal Vision, Robert Schuller, or Harold Camping. In this context, it takes on more of the character of a slander or "fighting words" than carefully chosen argument for a position.

??? Fair enough, I suppose, as long as we allow the Baptists to say:

"The Baptists are true baptizers. 'Reformed' baptize people who are biblically ineligible for baptism. That makes them nonbaptizers (or maybe Quakers?)."

Thankyou for your honesty, Dennis. Where I come from, honesty furthers discussion; it doesn't hinder it; and flattery only serves to puff up.

Please be aware that when you call yourself "Baptists," you are assuming a name the Reformed cannot grant you without conceding the issue.

Main point of contention?

There isn't a scripture that says "baptize them chillens" nor one that says "don't you dare baptize them chillens!"
:p

Moderator Note

I recommend that a thread be made in the general baptism area. Too Many Baptists are Playing in a Paedo playbox. That should have been stomped on right away.

Pastor Klein, when did you become a Reformed Paedobaptist? ;)

Sorry, but there are two threads with the same title in two different forums. Is that really necessary?

No it's not necessary I guess, but I wanted to get both perspectives without causing conflict on the same thread. I know some people are sensitive about keeping it separate. Feel free to move/delete as you see fit.

thanks.

-----Added 11/2/2009 at 06:00:51 EST-----

Hey brothers,

cheers.

see, this makes sense to me. From the paedo view, I just seem to lose the meaning of covenant, that thing which was instituted in the blood of Christ, which makes atonement for the elect.

Moderator Note

I recommend that a thread be made in the general baptism area. Too Many Baptists are Playing in a Paedo playbox. That should have been stomped on right away.

Sorry - i thought this was the one condensed thread - moving along : )

Hey brothers,

also, one more question:

cheers.

The church under age was the Israel. God promised to be the God of those that believe and of their children. Those that hold to covenant baptism (which I prefer over paedo, as there are no groups that only baptize infants, but they also baptize those new believers who have not previously been baptized) consider the church to be just as much a covenant organization as what we consider Israel. While the credo baptist states they only baptize those that are of faith, the covenant baptist knows that is not so (knowing that even though they only baptize those who profess faith, some of those will not have faith, and so even in a credo baptist church, there is a mixture of the regenerate with unregenerate). The covenant baptist sees a continuation of the sign of the covenant between the OT and NT, but even more broadly applied (even women are baptized).

There are many implications that arise from that single issue. What is it that makes a baptism effective? It is the work of God in the heart of the person baptized, not the faith of the person being baptized. When does a person become a member of the church? The usual way is through baptism (because one is born to believing parents). Ask a covenant baptist what God's ordinary means of growing the church ought to be, and he may likely as not say "through birth" meaning that the children of believing parents are commanded by those parents "Believe!"

I know our credo brethren are brothers in Christ (as I used to be credo baptist, and have no doubt of my own faith during that time). Yet they would withhold the table of the Lord to one such as my eldest daughter unless she is re-baptized. Those are sticky points.

Oh, what a lovely signature you have there! :lol:

Edit: Note that I wrote that before you added the second line.

Yes, I have a bad habit of posting first, editing later, as many have observed to their chagrin (myself included). :)

Well, I would complain to the management if I didn't do the same thing. :)

First question: the covenant of grace specifically, or the understanding of biblical covenants generally:

Heidelberg Catechism, Q&A 74

74. Q. Should infants, too, be baptized?
A. Yes. Infants as well as adults belong to God's covenant and congregation. Through Christ's blood the redemption from sin and the Holy Spirit, who works faith, are promised to them no less than to adults. Therefore, by baptism, as sign of the covenant, they must be grafted into the Christian church and distinguished from the children of unbelievers. This was done in the old covenant by circumcision, in place of which baptism was instituted in the new covenant.

Second question: I will let the Baptists speak for themselves.

I agree with Rev. Kok. I would add that of the Baptists I've spoken with (somewhat limited-mostly the independent fundamental type), they imply a false dichotomy in that they believe Reformed folks think infant baptism is regenerational as the papists do.

This is not an issue I get dogmatic about.

austinww:
We paedos tend to emphasize external aspects somewhat more. God makes a covenant with professing believers and their households under their rule. Both adults and children in the covenant can apostatize, but the children, like their parents, are expected to keep the covenant they are raised in. Who is and is not truly regenerate is not something we can see (although there are fruits).

Can it be said that the major difference is hermeneutics: paedos tend to depend heavily on covenant theology; credos seek to follow the explicit statements in scripture, for which there is no explicit command to paedobaptize.

Of course, there's the oikos argument, but doesn't this fall short, given that besides being baptized, households also: 1) receive the Spirit (Acts 11:14-15) and 2) believe (16:34)? The argument that oikos necessarily includes children fails on this point, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back