On Evangelists and Elders in Prrsbyterian polity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Jer

Puritan Board Freshman
But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry. (I Timothy 4:5)
And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers. (Ephesians 4:11)

THE officers which Christ hath appointed for the edification of his church, and the perfecting of the saints, are, some extraordinary, as apostles, evangelists, and prophets, which are ceased.

Others ordinary and perpetual, as pastors, teachers, and other church-governors, and deacons. (Form of Presbyterian Church Government)

What is an Evangelist? Was Timothy an Evangelist? Do Pastors fulfill the Evangelist's post? What is the diffrence between Evangelists and other teachers? Why is it said in the FPCG that they are ceased?

(This thread is only for those who believe in Presbyterial polity.)

James Bannerman explains this here:

But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry. (I Timothy 4:5)
And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers. (Ephesians 4:11)

What is an Evangelist? Was Timothy an Evangelist? Do Pastors fulfill the Evangelist's post? What is the diffrence between Evangelists and other teachers? Why is it said in the FPCG that they are ceased?
I always find that the answer to this question is complicated by Philip who was both a "deacon" (Acts 6.1-7) and an "evangelist" (Acts 21.8 with Acts 8). Stephen, too, perhaps fits this double bill given the rest of Acts 6 and 7. Some see the current restrictions on deacons preaching and teaching contrary to these examples. Some think Philip and Stephen simply progressed from deacons to evangelists

In 2 Timothy 4:5 where Paul tells Pastor Timothy (I Tim. 4.11-14) to "do the work of an Evangelist," this statement can be viewed as confirmation that the office of evangelist was extraordinary and limited to those who had been with Christ (which is probable with Philip and Stephen), and that its duties are now subsumed under the office of pastors who now take on the role of evangelist as one of their duties.

Do you have a scriptural argument for the way they use the term?
Well, if we want to rest on Scripture, perhaps the definition for Evangelist should be Deacon. Scripture identifies Phillip the Evangelist as "one of the seven" Acts 21:8. See Acts 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back