New ESV App for Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Yesterday (Friday), I noticed that the app for the ESV translation on my phone had disappeared and a new one was in its place.

I loved the old app. It was very useful and I used it regularly.

The new one stinks. It's awful, very amateurish-looking, and not nearly as intuitive to navigate as the old one.

And, as I said, it just appeared on my phone. No advance heads-up from Crossway. No opportunity to keep the old one if I wanted to.

I checked the Google Play Store, reading the comments for this new app. Apparently, no one likes it.

Crossway forgot the rule: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But, techies gotta tinker, I guess.

I am officially miffed.

To each his own. But in my opinion, the Android version of the ESV app was garbage for years. It was sort of OK as a text only version, but they went years without updating it. Many other apps are better.

They could not, or perhaps more accurately, would not, make it work the way the Apple app does, with the inclusion of the Study Bible. I think they've pointed at all of the different Android phones as being a problem. But other developers make it work.

I use the AND Bible app. They lost the right to use the ESV. So if you have it still don't lose your And Bible app. You can't download the ESV any longer from the app or crosswire.

I use the AND Bible app. They lost the right to use the ESV. So if you have it still don't lose your And Bible app. You can't download the ESV any longer from the app or crosswire.

When the ESV was first released, they granted those kinds of rights liberally, including to programs like eSword. Along with the "New Calvinism," I think it was one factor in promoting it early on. (I'm not sure if Bible Gateway even existed back then, which was when a lot of people were still on dial-up.) Maybe they are becoming more "stingy" in that regard?

If you're not allergic to MacArthur, the "Study Bible" app developed by Grace to You is a contender.

Don't you have to be at least a billionaire to use their stuff?

They have offers on many books and do give away a free book each month plus a couple of others at knock-down prices. Still, you are basically correct that many of their e-books are pretty expensive. You may as well download it for free and avail yourself of the free and inexpensive material.

Don't you have to be at least a billionaire to use their stuff?

To me, the vast library, ease of use, and fully searchable and cross-linked resources all make the price worth it. I have my entire theological library in my pocket.

[Insert comment telling you to get the superior iPhone here.]

When the ESV was first released, they granted those kinds of rights liberally, including to programs like eSword. Along with the "New Calvinism," I think it was one factor in promoting it early on. (I'm not sure if Bible Gateway even existed back then, which was when a lot of people were still on dial-up.) Maybe they are becoming more "stingy" in that regard?

A lot of open source/free Bible programs are based on the SWORD project, which got permission to freely distribute the ESV ˜18 years ago. Sadly, with new leadership they have revoked this permission and started attempting to charge this project for distribution. You can see more here: https://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/2019-June/047095.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back