Military Dolphins: Good Idea or Exploitation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puritanhead

Puritan Board Professor
DolphinMilitary.jpg

Dolphins, Sea Lions Serve Military in the U.S. Navy Marine Mammal Program. Dolphins are purportedly trained for intelligence, mine-sweeping, rescue and a multitude of purposes. Dolphins saw action in the war on Iraq at the southern Iraqi port of Umm Qasr. This AP News graphic explains more. A forty-seven year old Dolphin veteran of the Vietnam war still serves.

Dolphins serve proudly in the USN special forces and one dolphin is purported to be a USN chaplain... Left-wing environmental activists protest the use of dolphins while alleging danger posed to the dolphin's lives. They also allege sinister offensive purposes such as mine-laying and turning dolphins into hunter-seeker assassins to kill foreign divers and plant mines on enemy ships.

Personally, I think it's a good idea... Hundreds of dolphins are recepients of the Montgomery G.I. Bill and get a college education in service of their country and without it -- they would never reap the benefits of a college education.

(Any hyperbole on my part is for entertainment purposes.)
:bigsmile:

Dr. Evil: You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads! Now evidently my cycloptic colleague informs me that that cannot be done. Ah, would you remind me what I pay you people for, honestly? Throw me a bone here! What do we have?

Number Two: Sea Bass.

Dr. Evil: [pause] Right.

Number Two: They're mutated sea bass.

Dr. Evil: Are they ill tempered?

Number Two: Absolutely.

Dr. Evil: Oh well, that's a start.

Originally posted by crhoades
Dr. Evil: You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads! Now evidently my cycloptic colleague informs me that that cannot be done. Ah, would you remind me what I pay you people for, honestly? Throw me a bone here! What do we have?

Number Two: Sea Bass.

Dr. Evil: [pause] Right.

Number Two: They're mutated sea bass.

Dr. Evil: Are they ill tempered?

Number Two: Absolutely.

Dr. Evil: Oh well, that's a start.

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the picture. I know this is wrong to animals, but when I saw the headline I started laughing!

Originally posted by biblelighthouse
Military dolphins. That just sounds cool!

:ditto: I wouldn't mind signing up. Is it something like Navy SEALS?

z7shysterical.gif

[Edited on 9-16-2005 by poimen]

The drama continues... This sensationalist British news headline and probably hyperbole no doubt...

Armed and dangerous - Flipper the firing dolphin let loose by Katrina

excerpt from aforesaid news report
It may be the oddest tale to emerge from the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Armed dolphins, trained by the US military to shoot terrorists and pinpoint spies underwater, may be missing in the Gulf of Mexico.

Oh no! The killer dolphins are on the loose in the Gulf!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back