Method for Prayer by Matthew Henry

Status
Not open for further replies.
A very useful resource. I hope you can find it.

But even if you cannot, you might work yourself up a habit of prayer in the vein he suggests. Which is: to pray in the language and form of Scripture itself. There are countless verses of praise to God, and so make those praises personal.

E.g. "I will give thanks to you Lord with all my heart, I desire to thank you in the company of the upright, that is in the assembly of the saints gathered to worship you at the appointed hour. Your works are great, splendid, and majestic, and I study them, because I delight in them. And greater still is your work of redemption, by which your righteousness is made plain and permanent, forever." (See Ps. 111: 1-3)

Likewise confession, and request are present in Scripture, and should be made use of. This "method" of prayer will enrich your private devotion, as well as being most valuable if you are called upon to lead in prayer. As a pastor, this is most useful to me. But like any good idea, it can be abused into a formalistic routine. By all means, study to pray. But do not let that method be a crutch that relieves you of the labor of preparation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back