Luke 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason F.

Puritan Board Freshman
I think Luke 21 5-24 point to the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD. Verses 25-32 are more difficult, especially verse 27. Was that figurative language referring to the judgment of Jerusalem, or does it point to a literal coming in the clouds at the second advent? In light of verse 32, I'm inclined to the former. What is the thought of the board?

If you look at other references in Scripture about the Son of Man coming visibly in the sky, it is often associated with other events that are not the destruction of Jerusalem.

If you look closely at the Matthew 24 parallel, you will notice Jesus is answering multiple questions from his disciples including one about “the end of the age.”

Carefulness is needed with this topic as some have fallen into the heresy of full preterism over it due to interpreting all of Jesus’ predicted arrivals as having already occurred in 70 A.D.

I think Luke 21 5-24 point to the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD. Verses 25-32 are more difficult, especially verse 27. Was that figurative language referring to the judgment of Jerusalem, or does it point to a literal coming in the clouds at the second advent? In light of verse 32, I'm inclined to the former. What is the thought of the board?
I can't comment on v27, but the signs in v25-26 did occur. See Josephus Book VI, Ch. 5 The Great Distress The Jews Were In Upon The Conflagration Of The Holy House. Concerning A False Prophet, And The Signs That Preceded This Destruction.
Particularly #3
Thus were the miserable people persuaded by these deceivers, and such as belied God himself; while they did not attend nor give credit to the signs that were so evident, and did so plainly foretell their future desolation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back