John Shower on the Redemption of Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
John Shower, Serious Reflections on Time and Eternity, pp. 54-57:

Of the redemption of time, how precious and valuable a treasure it is, and will be taught to be when it is too late.

Is the life of man so short and fleeting, our days on earth so few, and so uncertain! how careful should I be to manage every hour, endeavouring to match the swiftness of time by my celerity and diligence to improve it! I can have no business of greater or of equal moment to mind, than to secure the happiness of my soul in another world. And shall I lavish my time, and lose my pains about things unnecessary? What will all other business signify in the end, if this be neglected? Is there any interest more weighty that calleth me from such work? Is there any thing else that so well deserves my time, that may be put into the scales, or weighed in a balance against this? Shall eternity, which comprehends all time, have the least share of my time allotted for its concerns! How little a part of my time hath been hitherto employed in such work! How reasonable, how necessary, it is to redeem the little inch of time that yet remains, but hastens to a period! For, as there is no covenant to be made with death, so no agreement for the arrest and stay of time; it keeps its pace, whether I redeem and use it well or not.

The greatest part of our life is designedly employed to avoid death; we eat, and drink, and sleep, and labour, and rest, that we may not die; and yet even by these we hasten to death. Every breath, every pulse, every word, leaves one less of the number which God hath appointed me, and carries away some sands of the glass of time; and yet how little care is taken to employ it well! We seldom value it, till we can no longer use it to any advantage; and, though we know it can neither be retarded in its motion, or recalled when past, yet of nothing are we more prodigal. Yea, how many complain of it as a burthen, and know not what to do with their time, are exceedingly at a loss wherein to employ it, what to do to be rid of it! But, alas! how near is that change, when they shall think nothing too dear to purchase some few grains of that sand which now seem too many, while they are passing through their hour-glass! How sad will be the review of our lost and ill-spent time! How different an opinion of its value we shall have on a sick-bed, or when our time and hope are gone! How many weeks, and days, and hours, O my soul! have I trifled away in sloth and idleness, in foolish mirth and hurtful company, in vain thoughts and impertinent discourse, in excess of sleep and needless pastimes, feastings, inordinate care to adorn the body or gratify the sensual appetite! All that which is past is irrecoverable; and the little remainder flies apace. How quickly will it be gone! how soon, how suddenly, may an unexpected stroke of death conclude it! And yet this is all the opportunity I shall hever have to make my peace with God, and prepare for the everlasting world.

Did we consider as we ought, we should not foolishly throw away so much of it in trifles, and things impertinent, or what is worse. How much more might we redeem than commonly we do! to how much better purpose might we husband it! How much more work we might do, were we never idle, or did not loiter! We might walk far, did we not often stand still, or go out of our way. We see it plainly by the great and excellent effects of some few men's industry in every age. Art hath found means to set spies and watches as it were on the sun, that he cannot look out but they take hold of his shadow, and force it to tell how far he is gone that day; and yet, while we are curious in making time give a just account of itself to us, how little do we consider the account of our time, which we must shortly give to God! Oh! that such a thought might effectually persuade me to redeem it! that I may not tarry till the end of time to know the worth of it! Let me not undervalue it, while it is given me to be used, that I may not eternally regret my folly when time shall be no more.

God calls me to diligence and labour; the work he calls me to is excellent, and the reward is glorious; to know, and love, and serve, and obey him, in order to eternal life! And shall I yet be idle? Is this the use and end of all my time? And do I know it, and believe it? Do I indeed believe it, and yet delay and loiter, and waste my precious hours in vanity? Am I going into eternity, and entering into another world, and know that I must be in heaven or hell for ever; and have I time to throw away? Am I fit to die, and to appear before my Judge, or am I not? Am I made meet for heaven, by pardoning mercy and sanctifying grace? Have I the earnest of the Spirit to witness and assure me of it? Is my interest in the promise of eternal life as firm, and my evidence of it as clear, as it may be made? Am I not conscious to myself, that much of this necessary work is yet to be done? And shall such an unprepared soul as mine be careless and indifferent how I spend my time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back