The tie of redemption is greater

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Hugh Binning (Treatise of Christian Love), Works, p. 524:

It is no new commandment, but that primitive command of love to God and men, which is the fulfilling of the law; and yet new it is, because there is a new obligation superadded. The bond of creation was great, but the tie of redemption is greater. God gave a being to man, that is enough. But God to become a miserable man for man, that is infinitely more. Fellow creatures, that is sufficient for a bond of amity. But to be once fellow captives, companions in misery, and then companions in mercy and blessedness, that is a new and stronger bond. Mutual love was the badge of reasonable creatures in innocency. But now Jesus Christ hath put a new stamp and signification on it; and made it the very differential character and token of his disciples, “By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye love one another.” And therefore, when he is making his latter will, he gives this testamentary commandment to his children and heirs, “A new commandment give I unto you, that ye love one another, as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.” New indeed! For though it be the same command, yet there was never such a motive, inducement, and persuasive to it as this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back