IVF and Birth Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
For those people who are ok using a form of birth control, what are your opinions on IVF? If you disagree with IVF but are ok with Birth control, is this a contradiction?

Certainly any form of in vitro fertilization that involves cryopreservation of "extra" embryos is unethical.

I am talking from the position that life begins at conception. That is, a new life is created at the moment a sperm enters the egg.

There are not any "potential" people only "real" people at some point of development from conception to death. To end a life at any point, including just after conception or just before death, is just as much murder as killing a grown woman while robbing a liquor store.

Most (all?) forms of IVF involve starting multiple "cell lines" prior to deciding the viable ones to save/implant. Since I am convinced that life begins at conception I believe that these "cell lines" are people who are murdered as a normal part of the IVF process.

:2cents:

Lance Armstrong could not have had any children, due to his testicular cancer, had he not stored some of his sperm prior to losing a testicle and being made permanently unable to have children because of cancer. This is just one example.
I don't see what IVF has to do with BC. One is a method of stopping pregnancy, the other a method to help insure pregnancy for people who might not otherwise be able to have children.
Earlier it was talked at length about "wasting seed," if one freezes his seed, does this not keep it from being wasted?

Lance Armstrong could not have had any children, due to his testicular cancer, had he not stored some of his sperm prior to losing a testicle and being made permanently unable to have children because of cancer. This is just one example.
I don't see what IVF has to do with BC. One is a method of stopping pregnancy, the other a method to help insure pregnancy for people who might not otherwise be able to have children.
Earlier it was talked at length about "wasting seed," if one freezes his seed, does this not keep it from being wasted?

:up:

As long as all the eggs that are fertilised are implanted, no problem. in my opinion. It is the fertilising then destroying of eggs (zygotes) that I have a problem with.

I am talking from the position that life begins at conception. That is, a new life is created at the moment a sperm enters the egg.

There are not any "potential" people only "real" people at some point of development from conception to death. To end a life at any point, including just after conception or just before death, is just as much murder as killing a grown woman while robbing a liquor store.

Most (all?) forms of IVF involve starting multiple "cell lines" prior to deciding the viable ones to save/implant. Since I am convinced that life begins at conception I believe that these "cell lines" are people who are murdered as a normal part of the IVF process.

:2cents:

Would anyone know if all IVF is done by starting multiple 'cell lines' prior to deciding the viable ones to save/implant?

Besides this, IVF has to do with BC because some people might ask a person who agrees with some forms of BC why they would disagree with IVF when it seems like a contradiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back