Is Jesus omnipresent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.Joseph

Puritan Board Senior
I think it's easy for me to get discouraged by sin, both within and throughout the world. Having a Reformed view of the world, I tend to lean on the pessimistic side. However, recently, I've found great comfort with the idea that Jesus is everywhere and that no domain fully escapes His presence. Would this be accurate or am I projecting to some extent? Thanks!

Yes.
Heidelberg Cat:

Question 47
Is not Christ then with us even to the end of the world, as he has promised? (Matt.28:20)
Answer 47
Christ is very man and very God; with respect to his human nature, he is no more on earth; (Hebrews 8:4; Matthew 26:11; John 16:28; John 17:11; Acts 3:21) but with respect to his Godhead, majesty, grace and spirit, he is at no time absent from us. (John 14:17-19; John 16:13; Matthew 28:20; Ephesians 4:8,12)

Question 48
But if his human nature is not present, wherever his Godhead is, are not then these two natures in Christ separated from one another?
Answer 48
Not as all, for since the Godhead is illimitable and omnipresent, (Acts 7:49; Jeremiah 23:24) it must necessarily follow that the same is beyond the limits of the human nature he assumed, (Colossians 2:9; John 3:13; John 11:15; Matthew 28:6) and yet is nevertheless in this human nature, and remains personally united to it.

A Reformed view of the world may seem pessimistic due to our emphasis on the total depravity of man. But remember that many arminians believe in the pessimistic eschatology of Dispensationalism, whereas most of the Reformed have believed in the worldwide progress of the Gospel throughout the whole earth as human history progresses (postmillenialism or an optimistic amillennial view)

Habakkuk 2:14, "For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD as the waters cover the sea."

The gospel marches forward and none can resist! We are on the winning side of history.

Thanks for asking. The human condition, our current culture, how truth is manipulated and repressed, especially the natural and eternal truths of our God and Creator... I kinda always saw the world as Satan's domain, and earthly things as equivalent with a love for the world and it's riches to a certain degree.... But I'm realizing you can love the world as part of God's creation.That it is good, despite the sin that has affected all things. God is still in control and reigns over all things which is the part of my Reformed faith which had been under developed I believe
I am interested to see you flesh this out a bit. What about Reformed theology tends you toward pessimism?

Jesus IS present everywhere, but not physically (that would be the Lutheran view). Instead, Christ is everywhere because He has poured out His Spirit on His people at Pentecost.

We can have confidence in the midst of chaos because Christ is physically seated in the throne-room of heaven (Rev. 4-6) and we have comfort because He has sent us the Spirit as our comforter and guide as we walk this pilgrim road (John 14-17).

So don't fall into pessimism! That is a kind of treason against the Kingship of Christ. He is present with us through His Spirit wherever we may go. "And the gates of Hell will not prevail against us"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back