Is chiropractic medicine legitimate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shackleton

Puritan Board Junior
I know of a local pastor who does not believe in mental illness or any thing that pertains to psychology, psychiatry, anything that man has come up with that pertains to the mind and illness and especially treating certain people with psychotropic meds. However he does not have a problem with chiropractic medicine. If anything psychology has more credibility than chiropractic medicine does...

any thoughts?

I went to one after I got rear ended and had whip lash, he massaged my back in a variety of methods and cracked my spine and neck, I felt it helped alleviate the discomfort quite a bit.

Historically, chiropractic is a rival system to medicine. It rejects the germ theory of disease and is quite frankly quackery. Even today the majority of chiropractors believe that subluxation of the spine and joints play a role in all disease. There are some chiropractors who practice a reformed chiropractic that is actually science based, but I'm not sure if there are any schools that actually teach it. I avoid chiropractors altogether, but you may be able to tell the good from the bad by asking what they believe about subluxations and their role in disease.

Chiropractors should not be called Doctors. They have no scientific knowledge behind, only hand manipulation skills.

Scot is dead on. Some view what they do as a form of physical therapy, in so far as that is what you are seeking then they are ok.

I have visited a DC several hundred times due to a spinal injury aprox 20 years ago. They can provide some temporary symptomatic relief, but if they promote subluxation theory, they are quacks. Period.

Chiropractors should not be called Doctors. They have no scientific knowledge behind, only hand manipulation skills.
That's not true, many go to med school, are included on health insurance plans and take x-rays all of which require a valid medical license to perform.

If they go to med school they are not called chiropractors, they are called doctors.

Many health insurance plans will pay for alternative treatment, that is not a test of legitimacy in my opinion.

In California a Chiropractor must copmlete a four year program (after at least 90 semester units of prereqs including lots of undergrad biology and chemistry). The first few courses of the program in California include the following:

Introduction to Research, ANA 566 Head/Neck Anatomy, PHY 560 Renal/Digestive Physiology, CHE 568 Basic Nutrition, 570 Microbiology I: Bacteriology, PAT 572 General Pathology, DIM 518 Normal Radiographic Anatomy, NNA 600 Neuroanatomy, PHY 602 Neurophysiology, MPH 616 Public Health II: Epidemiology, MPH 604 Microbiology II: Virology/Parasitology/Mycology, PAT 606 Cardiovascular/Pulmonary/Gastrointestinal Pathology.

So, here anyway, that means at least 7-8 years of formal college/post college ed.

As for the subluxation stuff, I'm with you guys . . . it's a crock along with their whole disease model.

But, if you have an automobile accident, these folks will do more for you than the average M.D.

A chiropractor in my Rotary club did a very erudite presentation on arthritis a couple of weeks ago. I asked an M.D. in the club what he thought. He said, "frankly, if I had an accident or back problem, I'd rather go to a chiropractor than another physician. They would do more to help me and get me feeling better."

When younger, I thought they were one step up from a voodoo "doctor." Getting older, the strength of their skills is not lost on me as the old body ages and creaks a bit.

boumares.jpg

My newborn having her first chiropractic adjustment last week...gasp!

All of my children (and my wife and I) regularly see a chiropractor. My kids don't see a pediatrician...gasp! My kids range from less than a week to twelve years old and none of them have ever been on a medication of any kind (not even children's tylenol).

I don't buy into the theory that a subluxation is the root cause of all disease but neither do I buy into the whole concept of the germ theory. I work with and know many chiropractors and have seen their techniques fix many problems where the md's only had drugs to use for symptom suppression.

boumares.jpg

All of my children (and my wife and I) regularly see a chiropractor. My kids don't see a pediatrician...gasp! My kids range from less than a week to twelve years old and none of them have ever been on a medication of any kind (not even children's tylenol).

I don't buy into the theory that a subluxation is the root cause of all disease but neither do I buy into the whole concept of the germ theory. I work with and know many chiropractors and have seen their techniques fix many problems where the md's only had drugs to use for symptom suppression.

This has been our experience as well. Our chiropractor is also trained and licensed in homeopathy and nutrition among other things. Her vast understanding of the human body/disease and how nutrition and emotional and spiritual (and I am referring to the Scriptural approach) health are linked is amazing.

I could tell story after story of how this doctor has helped various family members with medical problems and without using prescription drugs using this holistic approach.

Originally posted by JBaldwin
This has been our experience as well. Our chiropractor is also trained and licensed in homeopathy and nutrition among other things. Her vast understanding of the human body/disease and how nutrition and emotional and spiritual (and I am referring to the Scriptural approach) health are linked is amazing.

I could tell story after story of how this doctor has helped various family members with medical problems and without using prescription drugs using this holistic approach.

Years ago I happened to mention to my pastor that I was thinking about seeing a chiropractor for my severe headaches. He told me that his chiropractor had really helped him with alot of problems. I made an appointment and during my second week of adjustments, the headaches went away. I used to get them everyday and would eat tylenol like candy. To my surprise my leg cramps that I had since I was an infant went away also. My parents had taken me to md's who said it was just "growing pains." :lol: Well, I was full grown and I was still getting bad leg cramping. After my pelvis was adjusted, those also disappeared.

I'm glad my pastor encouraged me to go.

But how does one find a competent one?

boumares.jpg

I've wished I could find one for Don, for he has a pinched nerve in his neck that hurts frequently, but he's scared that a chiropractor will inadvertently damage the nerve.

But I suspect a skilled chiropractor might do him some serious good.

OTOH, a lousy one could do him some significant harm. Don't want him to wind up
crutches.gif
!

I've wished I could find one for Don, for he has a pinched nerve in his neck that hurts frequently, but he's scared that a chiropractor will inadvertently damage the nerve.

But I suspect a skilled chiropractor might do him some serious good.

OTOH, a lousy one could do him some significant harm. Don't want him to wind up !

Anne, sadly this is true. You really have to be careful who you see.

True, but how does one find a competent chiropractor?

But that goes for any profession.
My father's an attorney, so when I need one that's not a problem, and I like my doctor but doctors generally aren't given to recommending chiropractors, It seems to me.

Just word of mouth? Slyly bring up chiropractors whenever I'm around other people, hoping eventually someone'll pipe up enthusiastically about their own?

A couple of months ago I had a couple of ribs that were out of place that were causing me significant discomfort. My wife's family swears by chiropractic and goes on a regular basis, the result of a car accident several years ago. I used to joke that if one of them had a broken arm that they would try to have the chiropractic fix it. But when I started experiencing some pain and could feel my ribs out of line and basically protruding on my right side (I'm still not sure exactly what caused it, must have been some kind of cumulative effect) I really couldn't imagine what an MD would do to fix it. Two trips to the chiropractic and I haven't had any problems since.

My father's an attorney, so when I need one that's not a problem, and I like my doctor but doctors generally aren't given to recommending chiropractors, It seems to me.

No but the ambulance chasing lawyers can always recommend one and vice versa, especially if you have been in an accident. :cool:

Just word of mouth? Slyly bring up chiropractors whenever I'm around other people, hoping eventually someone'll pipe up enthusiastically about their own?

The best success I have had is to talk to people who can recommend one. There are medical doctors who recommend chiropractors, but I don't know how you would find them.

Anything that has to do with what is known as alternative medicine or natural medicine, like homeopathic, its fine with me. I rather drink a tea for my stomach or a calcium pill for my cramps. But it is not medicine. Please, don't get me wrong, I do go to my Chiropractors every so often. At the same time, I exercise and watch what I eat. Thanks to my wife who is a Medical Doctor, who has study medicine, nutrition, alternative or natural medicine. For example, I once suffered from heart burn problems and she made me drink cabbage juice and some kind of tea, instead of a prevacid or nexium medicine pill, and guess what I was heal.

Recently, Chiropractors have added different types of healing to their profession so that they would be able to expand what they have to offered. In California, it just so happen that some have even added prostitution, medical lawsuits, insurance frauds, marijuana usage service, etc.

Chiropractors when using medicine are really trying to be Doctors of Osteopathic medicine. If you go to a Chiropractors for headaches you are really wasting your money. You are better off going to your nearest Whole Food Store to talked to the alternative Nutritionist.

In America, Chiropractors are not allowed to prescribed medicine, they have tried to do this but the AMA (American Medical Association) really came hard on them.

Internationally, Chiropractors are not as respected or used as in America or do not exist. You go to your local bone manipulator to get fixed.

Isn't THAT the truth?

No but the ambulance chasing lawyers can always recommend one and vice versa, especially if you have been in an accident. :cool:
Mercy Maud, here come the ambulance-chasing attorneys! :eek:

As if having been involved in an accident isn't enough of a pain.
stars.gif

It does provide at least a little amusement to be able to thank them for their offer, but as my father's the Z in the law firm X, Y and Z, it's really not necessary.

Shuts 'em up a treat, so it does.
ignore.gif

I don't add that he's been retired for years. He's still Mr. Z of X, Y and Z, after all, with an office and letterhead stationery. ;^)

Mercy Maud, here come the ambulance-chasing attorneys! :eek:

As if having been involved in an accident isn't enough of a pain.
stars.gif

It does provide at least a little amusement to be able to thank them for their offer, but as my father's the Z in the law firm X, Y and Z, it's really not necessary.

Shuts 'em up a treat, so it does.
ignore.gif

I don't add that he's been retired for years. He's still Mr. Z of X, Y and Z, after all, with an office and letterhead stationery. ;^)

With some older large prestigious firms, the names at the top of the letterhead have been deceased for years, but usually there are some descendents in the firm still carrying the torch.

You are better off going to your nearest Whole Food Store to talked to the alternative Nutritionist.

Thanks! That's me! but I not only have an office beside the health food store, I also work in chiropractic offices.

A chiropractor cleared up some long-term severe headaches which pills and nutrition had failed to deal with, so I'm hesitant to criticize them too strongly; obviously, we don't spit on "organized religion" even though we're all familiar with hireling "shepherds", so the existence of lunatic chiropractors doesn't illegitimize the profession.

Quackopracty?

Used to think so, but one did relieve some severe back pains a few years ago. And I know of an RE who is one, and one of the kindest and most sincere people I've ever met, so I plead ignorance.

I agree with much of what has been said re: chiropractors and MD's. Chiropractors are good for manipulations and provide some temporary relief for mechanical problems such as herniated spinal discs, poorly aligned joints, etc. But this can be very dangerous. A chiropractor may help alleviate your headaches, but if the headache is caused by a brain tumor, the delay in diagnosis and treatment could be fatal. The key to good medicine is treating the underlying disease process, not simply masking the symptoms.

As a physician, I have to admit we don't have the answers to everything, and that "natural" or osteopathic medicine has some benefits. However, the vast majority of alternative medical treatments (chiropractic adjustments, accupuncture, etc) are not science or evidence based, and work only in very select circumstances. They often only alleviate symptoms rather than treat the underlying disease. If you have an infection, you should take antimicrobials. If you have breast cancer, you should likely have a mastectomy with or without reconstruction. But if you have a lower back problem, it wouldn't be a bad idea to try a chiropractor or massage therapist first. When in doubt, go to an MD. If they are worth their salt they will refer you to a chiropractor if need be.

Gil, I'm not quite sure. After the first visit my headaches started to diminish, and now that I've been a few times, instead of it being normal for me to have a headache, days when I have a headache stand out as unsual, and I can usually trace a cause, like not drinking enough, etc.

Of course, what we say about chiropractors, that there are good ones and bad ones, applies to all kinds of people, including nutritionists, homeopathic people, MDs, etc.

Ruben, if you're not sure, neither does your Chiropractor know and that is not a healing. Do drink plenty of water, watch what you eat, exercise, and I highly recommend you visit a Whole Food Store or something similar. Also, avoid foods with High Fructose Corn Syrup unless you are in Mexico then it is o.k. to drink a Coca-Cola which uses 100% pure sugar cane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back