Is Ben a clod for buying his wife...

Is Ben a clod for buying functional gifts?

• Yes. Ben is clearly a clod.

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • No. Ben is not a clod.

Votes: 25 51.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It all depends on your wife. If she wants functional gifts, then get them for her. If she doesn't appreciate that kind of stuff, then don't. My wife doesn't care for jewellery and prefers functional gifts. We are pretty open about gifts at Christmas though. We tell each other specifically what we would like and that's pretty much how it goes.

"Is Ben a clod for buying his wife..."

How much did she cost? I am still paying for my wife and I see no end in sight.

This is not that difficult.

When you're getting a gift for someone you love, you buy something that you think would please them. If your wife would most like the knives, you are not a clod. If she would most like a piece of jewelry, you are a clod. From everything you've said about your wife, I highly doubt she wants you to break the bank getting her diamond tiara. She sounds like an extremely gracious and kind woman. (The story you told about her and your children bringing you lunch the other day was just so lovely - what a fantastic spouse). So buy her something you genuinely think will bring her joy.

What Kathleen said. If she's hinting for jewelry, get her that first, and save the knives for a later occasion. (You wouldn't be talking about Shun knives, would you?)

Ben, inspired by your post, I ordered a really nice knife for my wife today. (I bought her other stuff, too.)

You're not a clod, but jewelry should make an appearance sometime between now and Mother's Day (as you've already said it might). I like functional gifts, and in this economic spot, it's a reasonable/practical thing to do. If she'll appreciate them (and you for getting them), then you're fine.

I like the fact that most of you don't think I'm a clod.

Hmmm, It appears that most of the women that have responded are going the other way of what the men have suggested. I would go with what she is hinting at. The functionality of the jewelry is to reaffirm to her that you are listening to her and to what she wants/needs etc... For instance, I am getting my wife a North Face coat although she already has one. I don't get it, but it is what she wants so.....

Hmmm, It appears that most of the women that have responded are going the other way of what the men have suggested. I would go with what she is hinting at. The functionality of the jewelry is to reaffirm to her that you are listening to her and to what she wants/needs etc... For instance, I am getting my wife a North Face coat although she already has one. I don't get it, but it is what she wants so.....

She already has one?

I'd tell her what I told my wife once... in the words of the Rolling Stones...

You can't always get what you want... but if you try, sometimes, you might just find you get what you need.

She already has one?

I'd tell her what I told my wife once... in the words of the Rolling Stones...

You can't always get what you want... but if you try, sometimes, you might just find you get what you need.

Well, does she truly NEED the expensive knives any more than she NEEDS jewelry? Unless she's been totally neglected as far as kitchen materials go, I'd guess the knives are not a necessity. So if you are truly getting them to gift her with, then you should put her first. If you know her and know that when she says she wants jewels she really wants more knives, then kudos to you.
Also, is Christmas in your family typically about fulfilling needs, anyway? In my family it's not really. We aren't too extravagant, but we do buy things that surpass the need category. I do think it is totally appropriate to have need be a requirement for Xmas gifts, though! We just aren't totally there.
My friend told me yesterday the Victorians said,
"Something to eat,
Something to read,
Something to play with,
Something they need."
I like that model.

Let me get this straight, you got a Mac book pro just because, or was that your xmas present? Yet, your wife gets knives, the better to cook for you with, for xmas? Something doesn't smell right. I voted clod. :p

The question has philosophical implications. Is a man something he is not? Is Ben a Clod for giving knives or is Ben a Clod giving knives.

Why not start a poll on 'why is Ben a clod'? We may uncover incredible insights into Ben's soul and general behaviour. (How many selections are allowed in a poll?)

By the way, I bought my wife a set of Henkels knives for Sinterklaas. She loved them, because they make her life much easier in cooking for the masses. But she is mostly sweetness and light, and looks past a lot of my shortcomings. Its like there's a rusty Hyundai Pony in the driveway, and she somehow believes that our car could win the Daytona 500. It's pretty cool.

Hey Ben!

I don't know if you're a clod or not, but I was also thinking of getting my wife a set of knives. Can you tell me more about this "uber nice knife set" that you're getting her? (a website link would be helpful)
BTW, I'd get her the jewelry too -- especially if she's telling you that that s what she'd like.

I thought about buying a fountain pen by Mont Blanc. Very briefly. The thought that I might lose something the cost of my car put me off. Add to that the problem of avoiding damage or theft! Knives are used to chop up veg, slice bread and carve chicken. If I owned your knives I would find them a constant worry. I use my favorite knife to slice apples and cut cheese. If the knife had a really razor sharp blade then I would also find it dangerous.

How do these knives function differently than a good quality sharp knife from the local hardware store. My favorite FP is a Parker 25 - it writes perfectly well and probably costs $30 - a Montblanc at $3000 would be indistinguishable.

I'm disheartened by the sudden increase in the number of votes to the effect that I'm a clod.

I was leaning towards the knives for Christmas and the jewelry for our anniversary (which is on January 1).

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

Hey Ben!

I don't know if you're a clod or not, but I was also thinking of getting my wife a set of knives. Can you tell me more about this "uber nice knife set" that you're getting her? (a website link would be helpful)
BTW, I'd get her the jewelry too -- especially if she's telling you that that s what she'd like.

Bruce - Please check your inbox... I've sent you a PM.

9And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
10For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
11If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?
12Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?
13If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

I "believe" that one of the paraphrases renders vss. 11-13 thusly:

"You husbands--if your wives ask for jewelry, do you give them a knife (even a really really expensive knife) instead?" Or if they ask for earrings, do you give them a muffler for a '68 Chevy? Of course not! So if you sinful clods know how to give good gifts to your wives, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him.”

All I can say is: Let him who has ears to hear, pay attention to this saying. Or, else, he may find himself without ears when his wife tests out her new knives.

Actually, if your wife likes things like this, knock yourself out. I would, however, tell her that she will be getting something "more personal" in a week or so. That might soften any disappointment in opening the package, and heighten the possibility that she will receive it in the spirit in which it is given.

BTW, most men are clods. Our wives forgive us anyway.

My wife just read your post and had this addendum: "If they are really sharp, at least he won't feel anything, when he's cut." :lol:

She also noted that, generally, "if you have to ask," you are."

Ben, please don't judge her harshly. After being married to me for 36 1/2 years, much of her seemingly endless supply of patience has been already spent.

Upon further reflection, I'd like to change my vote from 'no' to 'yes'. Get the jewelry AND a set of Ginsu knives.

Does it change anything to know that I've spent the past few years listening to my wife say "I hate these knives!" almost every time she's used them? And that it is only in the past 6 weeks that she's said, "You know... I haven't had any updates to my jewelry collection in about 5 years..."

The crazy thing is that when I was in Afghanistan I bought 10 karats of rubies. I had them appraised when I got back to the States... and their value was more than double what I paid. Nice! Anyway, I've got these loose stones and I've never had them set. I should probably do that soon...

Ben,

I've spent the last 25 years listening to my wife say "I hate my hair" on a pretty regular basis, but you can bet your sweet bippy that I'm not going to buy her a wig as a gift. ;)

Hey Norm... nice knives in your avatar...

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

I want to vote some more. :lol:

Hey, this isn't a Democrat site... we don't believe that you should vote early, and vote often. :)

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Ben,

I've spent the last 25 years listening to my wife say "I hate my hair" on a pretty regular basis, but you can bet your sweet bippy that I'm not going to buy her a wig as a gift. ;)

Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back