In Need of Historical Book Recommendations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ William Denman

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm looking for good historical books on the history of Israel itself, with details on social, economic and cultural peculiarities. It can be anything from a general history book spanning up until the diaspora, or, even just specific time periods such as 1st Century. This is, of course, excluding the likes of Josephus Flavius, of which I'm familiar with already. Any great academic historical works?

Thanks

Here is part of my reading list on the subject:

John Bright - A History of Israel 4th Edition. Get the 3rd Edition if you have to.

Shaye Cohen - From the Maccabees to the Mishnah

Provan, Long, and Longman - A Biblical History of Israel, Second Edition

[Edited to remove some resources. ]

I can recommend more specialized monographs upon request. The above should get you started. As you should with all your reading, these authors must be read with discernment.

I am sure you will come across the set linked below in your search. It still has some value. I would hold off on it as you get started and read something more recent at first. We have made many valuable discoveries and learned much since these volumes were written.

Message me if you have questions or want some resources on specific topics.

Last edited:
His is a more obscure name, but the late Leon Wood wrote a couple of interesting books about Israel's history, if memory serves. Being ancient, I can't remember the titles.

Provan, Long, Longman is the best we have currently, though I would also throw in there Walter Kaiser's history and R.K. Harrison's Old Testament Times. Bright is the usual standard work, and he is only moderately critical. Also, the Schurer set has been updated in the 1970's, and that set is well worth obtaining.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back