Recommendations sought on historical novels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poimen

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Hi friends. I am especially asking for the women of the board to give their recommendations though all the men are welcome too.

My wife's birthday is approaching and as I know she likes to read historical novels, I thought I would ask for some recommendations here. In particular, I would like a book that focuses on a Christian personality or a time in church period. I am looking for something that might pique her interest, in terms of being about (a) women, and something that would inform her about church history in general.

Though they are meant for older children and teenagers, the novels by Douglas Bond are good. I read one and enjoyed it.

If your wife likes historical novels, and you want one that involves a bit of church history, I believe the Empress Maud series is quite well researched.

The author, Amy Mantravadi, is a christian and she's pretty solid. I think there's only one book out currently, and the sequel is being written.

And there's a character in it based on Carl Trueman apparently, if that adds (subtracts?) any appeal.

There's some info about the book and Maud herself on the website, so if it seems like your wife might enjoy it, check it out.

I read Marriage to a Difficult Man about Sarah Edwards in college but prefer a newer edition that was footnoted by the Pipers. In our homeschool we're almost finished with Paul Maier's novel on Pontius Pilate which goes to great lengths to bring his wife Procula (Claudia) into focus. It could use a good edit, but overall is a good layman's book on what is treated more academically by Robert Wilkin in the Christians as the Romans Saw Them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back