I'm a glutton but at least I'm not a drunkard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
highest incidence of alchohol abuse are the Mormons and Southern Baptists[\quote]

I can affirm that first hand and in family on both my wife's and my own, that is the SB, and its variants and Methodist in that stat!

How do you define gluttony? I don't mean to come accross as asking a silly question, but it seems that in the church these days there are a myriad of definitions that are given.

For the skinny guys that eat rice cakes and work out, the definition of gluttony is the guy who doesn't work out and enjoys a hearty breakfast and goes up to the potluck table for seconds and is 20 pounds "overweight."

The 20 pound overweight guy usually looks at the 275 pounder and starts thinking about gluttony.

It would seem to me that gluttony and drunkeness are sinful in that they are the opposite actions of temperance and self control, both which are fruits of the Spirit of God. Sin is not to have dominion over us, so to show an inability to pull away from the table and to put the cork back on the bottle is in reality to deny the effect and power of the gospel.

There is no question that obesity is a great problem in America. Is obesity necessarily tied to gluttony? Even as there are those within the church that insist on prohibiting the use of alcohol, there are also those within the church that see a demon in coffee, chocolate, fat, and angel food cake. They also like to poke even the slightly round belly of their brethren and urge them to confess their sin of gluttony.

I don't think that gluttony must necessarily come into play once we are five pounds removed from the recommended weight chart or occasionally like to stuff ourselves during a celebratory feast. I think the sin comes when we no longer have the ability to control our passions and begin to eat in a riotous and excessive manner.

This might help. The size is not so to be filled to the brim, but the size and shape that matters. So as to allow the wine, particularly red wines, to "breath", oxidize is the real term. One wants red wines to oxidize before drinking to bring out the flavor as opposed to whites in which the flavor is needing to be retained. The breathing or oxidation takes the edge off of the strong tannins in red wine that can be over powering in red wines, particularly certain grape types. Typically white wine glasses are smaller with a lesser appreture because one wants to avoid "oxidation" of a white, the reverse. It's also why reds are typically served at closer to room temperature and whites at around 55 F or there abouts. Size, appreture and surface area of the glass are all designed to inhibit or promote oxidation depending upon the wine.

It's hard to say from the picture but that looks more like a brandy glass, which would be for "swashing" and aiding the oxidation (breathing) process.

Me, I'm too poor, I keep generic sized wine glasses around, you'll just have to wing it at my house, maybe use a straw to blow some bubbles in it for oxidation!!

At least its better than Calvin's day when they corked the wine with oily rags!

Hi Larry -

It's clearly labelled as a "white" glass - right size & shape, although with the opening as large as it is, it probably would do red quite nicely. Lest ye doubt as to the identity of the glass, take a look for comparison at the accompanying set's "red" glass ;) They both look great...which is why we bought them. For whatever reason, we never actually looked inside, and at the bottom of the box, which would have told us that while they were proportioned nicely, they each were just about 2-3 times too big to avoid appearances of winebibbery ;)

Todd

Now that I think of it, those are of a convenient size - they're just right in fact... one bottle, one glass. Never have to bother about filling everyone's glass to the same level. ;)

It’s MUCH more problematic than that, it is sin nature we are looking at in all its ugliness, not to pull a cork or to pull a cork. We are so too much stuck on the externals we are blind, that’s why we NEED the Holy Law to crush that immediately. The issue is addicted to the self and the will and not knowing that the abstainers are of both are just as addicted to themselves as is the drunk/glutton. There is ABSOLUTELY no theological difference in the man that is a drunk or glutton and the man that does not pull a cork or pushes away from the table. How much pride do you experience when you can “not” pull a cork over the poor loathsome drunk or when you can push away from the table over some heavy person who cannot? Do you not feel that insidious addiction to yourself? Boy I do, my greatest struggle with sin is not things of the world so much as it is my addiction to myself in every thing, I cannot escape it. The Law strikes very deadly there. It’s the two sons in the Prodigal all over again. One was a drunkard and a glutton and the other was not, outwardly. But yet in the end they both really wanted the same thing, nothing to do with the father and their own way – the younger son at the beginning, the older son at the end.

The key to the definition of “gluttony” lies within the term itself as unto idolatry to the self or inward turning to the self, that is essentially the sin nature in its barest form, not the external fat or skinny per se which are merely externals. The self seeking the self for life, god-hood, and sovereign rule of self.

Looking at the extremes, an extremely over weight person and an anorexic have the same thing in common, the obsession of food. But more importantly is the inward turning.
In the broadest sense the “glutton” is gluttonous to themselves, food, the over eating or over obsession of not eating/exercise obsession, is merely expressing a deeper issue – the selfish inward turning and thinking that life and sovereign rule is found and sourced there, that is to be my own god. The drunk is really not all that much different. The “wet” drunk is addicted to himself and drinks to express it, the “dry” drunk, the abstainer, is addicted to himself as well (now keep in mind this doesn’t mean someone who simply doesn’t like drink) and does so to express it. Note that all such expressions, open glutton (over weight), hidden glutton (the health nut), wet drunk and dry drunk are all obsessed with themselves and how they are “appearing” to others and presenting themselves, self glorification to others. The negatives assert their self sovereign aggrandizement by an “in your face” approach, the positive glutton/drunk, abstainers, assert their self sovereign aggrandizement by an “look and behold me a god” approach. Both are crying out, I am boss! Yet both are addicted, the opposite of what they think of themselves, in control and power of will. Both need to hear, “You are not in control, you have no will power, not on your own and not by some infused power from God, you are hopelessly addicted and will die that way unless something objective comes your way and calls you out of the grave.”

The religious abstainer is in reality a drunk, he/she is drunk on themselves and that is how they present it. The wet drunk, the one we typically call a “drunk” is self obsessed too which is why they appear so obviously loathsome to us. We say of such, “He’s just thinking of himself and not his family he is ruining.” True enough but it is at least overtly obvious, the dry drunk, the religious or purposeful abstainer is EXCEEDINGLY obsessed with him/herself but their expression of it is “righteous” in the sense that fallen man understands righteousness and outwardly pretty, he/she is moralistic and proudly displays it yet under “humble” appearance or mask which makes it all the more insidious.

This is where the Cross really shatters all of this tom foolery. Because I’m not suppose to be pointing you to me and all my great things I have under control and am exceedingly proud of to show you under a guise of humility. The more humble I can make it appear the prouder I will be of it and carve myself up to be your god even more, I will thus draw all glory to myself under the guise of piety. Rather we should be seeing how WE ALL are by nature addicted to ourselves and the glorification and the sovereignty of our selves and then saying, “There, that Cross, there is our salvation.”

The drunk and the glutton are similar in both their forms, that pull back to one’s self. Yet we point our fingers at the bad drunk/glutton and say, “Look at that wretch”, and then point at the fine clean abstainer and svelte person and say, “behold (as if pointing out a god) a paragon of righteousness, my god and I must imitate them so that I too can be such a god.”

We can see this idea of “drunkenness” in Revelation in which the whore of Babylon is drunk on the blood of the saints, that is to be intoxicated upon their blood or death. What does this mean? It means to reveal in their apparent defeat, blood/death. What does this mean? It goes back to what Paul said concerning the children of the law always persecuting the children of the promise, they seek to be right because their godhood rests upon it. It means that works righteousness, the devil’s piety, is victorious, the whore is thus drunk or intoxicated on their blood because it is an apparent victory for her religion, a “I am right” and we’ve killed the infidels (blood = death = self righteousness wins = self righteousness is life). Watch carefully how for example Muslims revel in the streets after an apparent victory, the righteous destroying the unrighteous, or so they think – it’s drunken/intoxicating revelry in self righteousness, self sovereignty, self glorification, man is really supreme if he is self righteous has won. They are literally drunk and intoxicated on and with themselves. It is a more extreme and explicit example of the principle. Similarly is gluttony, to be gorged or sated with the self as a sovereign god and self righteous, self justified negatively (the open sinner) or positively (the false saint) in and of one’s self.

It’s MUCH more problematic than that, it is sin nature we are looking at in all its ugliness, not to pull a cork or to pull a cork. We are so too much stuck on the externals we are blind, that’s why we NEED the Holy Law to crush that immediately. The issue is addicted to the self and the will and not knowing that the abstainers are of both are just as addicted to themselves as is the drunk/glutton. There is ABSOLUTELY no theological difference in the man that is a drunk or glutton and the man that does not pull a cork or pushes away from the table.

:amen: Thanks for the above post, Larry. So often is it not the case that we have utterly failed to see what God's Word truly calls us to? We so easily fall into the Pharisaical trap of thinking it's all about externals! Sin is SO much more ugly than our external behavior - so much more dark, so much more wretched. We don't often want to go there, for fear of knowing who we truly are inside!

Yes, thanks for the post. And the info on the proper shape of wine glasses. I love a good cab or a merlot.

i never really thought about the "whys" before till just now...i think, with me, over eating is just my lack of faith that the Lord will provide my daily bread. and just because it seems like Hes given us the bread truck, doesnt mean we have to eat it in one sitting.
...as far as wine goes, red wine messes with my allergies....beer, it taste too yeasty for me, but hand me a bock, now i can talk gluttony....lol

I've been reflecting lately on the hypocrisy that many Evangelicals have toward alchohol consumption compared to overindulgence in eating. Manmade doctrine in many evangelical circles condemns any and all alchohol consumption while virtually ignoring or revelling in the sin of gluttony. The Scriptures link drunkenness and gluttony together as virtually identical sins.

What is sad about this issue is that those who preach complete abstinence are missing the whole point of the Scriptures concerning these things. They complete ignore Paul in Collosians 2:

They turn alchohol into something that ought not to be touched where the Scriptures would only condemn its wanton overindulgence.

At the same time, however, about 30-40% (or more) of the American Church are gluttons reflecting the general population. It's virtually a maxim of Churches to say that "...we sure know how to eat in this Church...." I've heard that statement from Independents, Presbyterians, and Baptists - all from the pastors of the Churches.

Like most things these days, everything is turned on its head. The majority of "Evangelicals" get bent out of shape if man consumes alchohol in moderation (something that God has given to man to bless him) but then revel in a sin that God has equated with drunkeness.

The blindspot on this issue is simply baffling.

Good post, Rich.

I'll also point out that Sabbath-breaking is nearly universal in our time, and admit that I need to become more consistent with observing it myself. In many areas, especially the "Bible Belt", many restaurants would likely be closed on Sunday were it not for the hordes of church-goers that patronize them. Of course, Sabbatarians can be just as guilty of gluttony as anyone.

Something went wrong with my previous post - meant to link to the picture of Capone and add one of Pablo Escobar. At least those who banned alcohol had the legality to pass an Amendment, unlike those who banned hard drugs - but I digress.

There is, perhaps, an greed aspect to this as well. I remember when studying the Poverty and Famine economics unit at Uni that in times of poverty spending on food can account for a substantial majority of all consumer spending. So the person who is a glutton is spending far more money on themselves than the one who eats modestly. Today the situation is very different - I doubt the average overweight person spends much more on food than the thin person, in fact the poor tend to have a slightly higher likelyhood of obesity. Also, the link to gluttony and drunkards in Scripture could have been related to the phenomenon of people getting drunk at feasts, where large amount of food and alcohol was consumed; at least that is the caricature of ancient history that I have come across. Today food and alcohol abuse are less associated; the drunkard is more likely to drink at a pub or at parties where little food and much drink is consumed.

Gluttony can certainly be sinful, but we need to define our terms properly. I'm not convinced that food consumption which makes one heavier that socially desirable counts as gluttony. The glutton is the one whose appetites control him, who makes no effort to eat in moderation, whose mind and heart are set on his stomach, not on the things of God. I doubt that this is much more prevalent among the overweight than among the thin.

Timothy,

I don't think anybody has linked gluttony solely to being overweight but the two cannot be separated. It is no mystery that Americans are 30-40% obese. This statistic does not merely mean that they have a bit of excess fat but are much above what they ought to be. The difference in eating and exercise habits between Americans and other cultures is striking.

I find it interesting how 1 Samuel places especial emphasis on how fat Eli was. His children, as well, were marked by the fact that they were so greedy that they would consume portions of the sacrifice that were meant to be offered to the Lord.

Finally, I think it is important not to become distracted on "this is gluttony but this isn't". I never made nor intended to make the point that a slight weight problem is gluttony nor is gluttony measured in terms of what society deems acceptable. I don't believe, however, that one needs to be constantly obsessed with food in order to be guilty of the sin of gluttony any more than a man needs to be an alcoholic to be occasionally guilty of the sin of being a drunkard.

If a person lacks self-control in the consumption of food or drink then that is the key issue. I was dealing with the hypocrisy of American Christianity with a special obsession concerning prohibition of alcohol that justifies itself with complete abstinence of one gift while abusing the other without any remorse.

Some facts from http://www.obesity.org/subs/fastfacts/obesity_US.shtml
Overall Prevalence
  • Approximately 127 million adults in the U.S. are overweight, 60 million obese, and 9 million severely obese.
  • Body Mass Index (BMI) is a measurement tool used to determine excess body weight. Overweight is defined as a BMI of 25 or more, obesity is 30 or more, and severe obesity is 40 or more.
  • Read the AOA fact sheet,What is Obesity? for more information about BMI and
  • to calculate BMI.
  • The number of adults who are overweight or obese has continued to increase, as shown in Table 1. Currently, 64.5 percent of U.S. adults, age 20 years and older, are overweight and 30.5 percent are obese. Severe obesity prevalence is now 4.7 percent, up from 2.9 percent reported in the 1988 - 1994 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Richard Baxter's Christian Directory has a fantastic section on gluttony, which deals with what it is, why it is bad, and how to overcome it. If you have the Directory, check it out. If not, get it! Scott

Here are some guideline from Baxter's The Signs of a Flesh Pleaser. They are general and are not explicitly limited to food, but are broad enough to cover the kinds of desires that lead to overeating. The guidelines below will help evaluate about how to know if you are engaging in glutony. There is no bright line like a 250 pound man is necessarily a glutton or anything. The Directory (mentioned earlier) has a section that expressly deals with gluttony and food. The directory talks about different circumstances affect evaluating whether one is engaging in gluttony, such as how a farmer who works in the field will naturally eat a lot more than a guy who works in an office, and that is ok. Anyway, while general, the items below are useful.
1. When a man in his desire to please his appetite, does not do it with a view to a higher end, that is to say to the preparing himself for the service of God; but does it only for the delight itself. (Of course no one does every action conciously with a view to the service of God. Nevertheless, the general manner or habit of a life spent in the service of God is absent for the flesh-pleaser.)

2. When he looks more eagerly and industriously after the prosperity of his body than of his soul.

3. When he will not refrain from his pleasures, when God forbids them, or when they hurt his soul, or when the necessities of his soul call him away from them. But he must have his delight whatever it costs him, and is so set upon it, that he cannot deny it to himself.

4. When the pleasures of his flesh exceed his delights in God, and his holy word and ways, and the expectations of endless pleasure. And this not only in the passion, but in the estimation, choice, and action. When he had rather be at a play, or feast, or other entertainment, or getting good bargains or profits in the world, than to live in the life of faith and love, which would be a holy and heavenly way of living.

5. When men set their minds to scheme and study to make provision for the pleasures of the flesh; and this is first and sweetest in their thoughts.

6. When they had rather talk, or hear, or read of fleshly pleasures, than of spiritual and heavenly delights.

7. When they love the company of merry sensualists, better than the communion of saints, in which they may be exercised in the praises of their Maker.

8. When they consider that the best place to live and work is where they have the pleasure of the flesh. They would rather be where they have things easy, and lack nothing for the body, rather than where they have far better help and provision for the soul, though the flesh be pinched for it.

9. When he will be more eager to spend money to please his flesh than to please God.

10. When he will believe or like no doctrine but "easy-believism," and hate mortification as too strict "legalism." By these, and similar signs, sensuality may easily be known; indeed, by the main bent of the life.

For the record, today I avoided donuts at work and ordered a vegetable plate at lunch! Has anyone started a full-blown fast b/c of this thread? :)

Here are some guideline from Baxter's The Signs of a Flesh Pleaser. They are general and are not explicitly limited to food, but are broad enough to cover the kinds of desires that lead to overeating. The guidelines below will help evaluate about how to know if you are engaging in glutony. There is no bright line like a 250 pound man is necessarily a glutton or anything. The Directory (mentioned earlier) has a section that expressly deals with gluttony and food. The directory talks about different circumstances affect evaluating whether one is engaging in gluttony, such as how a farmer who works in the field will naturally eat a lot more than a guy who works in an office, and that is ok. Anyway, while general, the items below are useful.

This is why I said about 43 posts back that the issue really lies in idolatry and covetousness.

Add'l thoughts:

Matthew 11:19 19 "The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Behold, a gluttonous man and a drunkard, a friend of tax-gatherers and sinners!' Yet wisdom is vindicated by her deeds."

The Pharisees and Saduccess saw Jesus as a glutton and drunkard. What measuring stick were they using? In light of Christs perfection, if the definition has to do with food, without a doubt ALL Americans are gluttons and there is no way to avoid this. More accurately, after looking at this a little more, it seems as if the Hebrew definition has to do with 'useless' eating. Example: Eating just for the sake of eating; not as much with the amout of consumption.

Add'l thoughts:

Matthew 11:19 19 "The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Behold, a gluttonous man and a drunkard, a friend of tax-gatherers and sinners!' Yet wisdom is vindicated by her deeds."

The Pharisees and Saduccess saw Jesus as a glutton and drunkard. What measuring stick were they using? In light of Christs perfection, if the definition has to do with food, without a doubt ALL Americans are gluttons and there is no way to avoid this. More accurately, after looking at this a little more, it seems as if the Hebrew definition has to do with 'useless' eating. Example: Eating just for the sake of eating; not as much with the amout of consumption.

So, maybe it was the fact that, instead of being an ascetic, like John the Baptist, Jesus accepted dinner invitations, including invitations from people like Matthew and Zaccheus, who the Pharisees would never eat with. Similar to the criticism Mom has of my church. "Seems like you people are ALWAY eating!" because we have a ladies' breakfast, we go out after church, after homegroup, etc.
She's not seeing the value of fellowship, she thinks it's about food, useless eating.

Feasting has its place too. The Wedding Feast of the Lamb is not a place to practice asceticism. Whether to feast involves circumstance. Eating for fellowship is a healthy activity. It happens many places in the Bible.

It is about having self control (a fruit of the spirit If I recall correctly). :amen: And thanks for making me think about food (food for thought literally). :cheers:

There has actually been discussion in the SBC of bringing gluttony up at the next convention, and forwarding a resolution on it.

As a side note, Rich, i notice that you're in Asia.....when I was in Asia I ate like a pig, but the food was healthier and I exercised more, so I actually lost weight.

(Not to worry, I gained it back as soon as I got back to the states)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back