How do you use search engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
I realize this kind of like asking how do you talk.

For example, if I wanted to search for mp3s by Keith Mathison, but didn't want extraneous stuff in the search, what do I do?

For example, if I wanted to search for mp3s by Keith Mathison, but didn't want extraneous stuff in the search, what do I do?
Maybe something like +"Keith Mathison" +mp3

Were you looking for something specific from him? I can contact him for you if you're looking for a resource.

Were you looking for something specific from him? I can contact him for you if you're looking for a resource.

I just wanted to see if he had any good audio lectures. I do a lot of my learning/traveling by listening to mp3s. I have read most all of his books. If you contact him and he does have mp3s, or can direct me to where, that would be great.

The most simple search would be: "Keith Mathison" AND mp3

Google will automatically put an AND in. You could also use the advanced search, and you could use a better search engine than Google. Google's logarithms will do strange things at times.

Google should work for you fine. Here's a quick rundown of the best way to search using Google (some of this has already been mentioned in this thread):

1. In the search box, put any phrases you want to find, in quotes. So, in this case you'd put ["Keith Mathison"]. Don't type the brackets...I just put them there to illustrate exactly what you type in the box. It's worth noting that you can include multiple phrases, so you could use: ["Keith Mathison" "R.C. Sproul"] if you wanted to get pages that have BOTH phrases on them.

2. Put any additional words related to what you want to find. For example: [mp3 audio recordings]. This will give you pages that contain ALL of those words. So, if a page had "mp3" but not "recordings" then the search results wouldn't list that page.

3. If you want to make some of the words in number 2 above optional instead of required, then put "OR" between each of them. So, using the example above, you'd instead use: [mp3 OR audio OR recordings]. That would result in pages that contain ANY of those words.

4. Put a minus sign (i.e. hyphen) before any words that you do NOT want to be included on the resulting pages. For example, if your search yielded a bunch of pages that contained recordings by some punk rocker who also happened to be named "Keith Mathison", then adding [-punk] to the search box would filter out those pages from the search.

Combining all of the above, you'd have a search box that looked something like this:
["Keith Mathison" "R.C. Sproul" mp3 recordings OR audio -punk]

I usually look at several links on the first page or two of results, and if they don't yield the result I'm looking for then I try to narrow down the search a bit. With a little practice you should get the hang of it.

NOTE: If you want, you could also use Google's Advanced Search page instead of the regular search box at google.com. If you use that then you don't need to use quotes, "OR", "-", or remember anything else like that. There are separate boxes for each thing, i.e. required words, phrases, optional words, words to omit, and other options.

Google should work for you fine. Here's a quick rundown of the best way to search using Google (some of this has already been mentioned in this thread):

1. In the search box, put any phrases you want to find, in quotes. So, in this case you'd put ["Keith Mathison"]. Don't type the brackets...I just put them there to illustrate exactly what you type in the box. It's worth noting that you can include multiple phrases, so you could use: ["Keith Mathison" "R.C. Sproul"] if you wanted to get pages that have BOTH phrases on them.

2. Put any additional words related to what you want to find. For example: [mp3 audio recordings]. This will give you pages that contain ALL of those words. So, if a page had "mp3" but not "recordings" then the search results wouldn't list that page.

3. If you want to make some of the words in number 2 above optional instead of required, then put "OR" between each of them. So, using the example above, you'd instead use: [mp3 OR audio OR recordings]. That would result in pages that contain ANY of those words.

4. Put a minus sign (i.e. hyphen) before any words that you do NOT want to be included on the resulting pages. For example, if your search yielded a bunch of pages that contained recordings by some punk rocker who also happened to be named "Keith Mathison", then adding [-punk] to the search box would filter out those pages from the search.

Combining all of the above, you'd have a search box that looked something like this:
["Keith Mathison" "R.C. Sproul" mp3 recordings OR audio -punk]

I usually look at several links on the first page or two of results, and if they don't yield the result I'm looking for then I try to narrow down the search a bit. With a little practice you should get the hang of it.

NOTE: If you want, you could also use Google's Advanced Search page instead of the regular search box at google.com. If you use that then you don't need to use quotes, "OR", "-", or remember anything else like that. There are separate boxes for each thing, i.e. required words, phrases, optional words, words to omit, and other options.

Dude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back