Herman Witsius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Herman Witsius, Dutch Reformed theologian, was born in 1636 and died on October 22, 1708.

His most famous work is "The Economy of the Covenants." But before reading it, I'd recommend hanving on hand "An Analysis of Herman Wistius's The Economy of the covenants" by D. Patrick Ramsey and Joel R. Beeke.

I just read the bio of him in the analysis:up: He was a godly Dutch Nadre Reformatie divine whose primary interest was experiential knowledge of Christ not merely cold and remote pedo/credo debates as one would get the impression from the PB :) He was also a friend of covenanter exiles and the 2nd Scots reformation & the SL&C.

Originally posted by Globachio
His most famous work is "The Economy of the Covenants." But before reading it, I'd recommend hanving on hand "An Analysis of Herman Wistius's The Economy of the covenants" by D. Patrick Ramsey and Joel R. Beeke.

Does anyone else think it necessary to read this with Witsius' work? I'm am interested to know what contribution it makes before I purchase it.

I have Beeke's Analysis. I would say it's good, but it really is just an outline. A bare outline. A good one, but a bare outline. But it doesn't go into commentary or anything, just a broad, simple outline. Imagine if Battle's Analysis of the Institutes was about seventy pages instead of four hundred and that's what you have.

I'd say: if you have the money it is worth having if you are going to really spend some time with Witsius' book. If you don't necessarily have the extra cash then the contents page of Witius' book gives enough broad outline of itself...

This is one of the best, most thorough and thoughtful presentations of confessional Reformed theology in the 17th century. Please get it. Read it. Mark it well. Learn it. Inwardly digest it (to borrow from the BCP). You won't regret it.

This is a basic (not to say easy), fundamental, work in Reformed theology. Ignorance of this work is one the curses of the current controversies over covenant theology.

rsc

Does anyone else think it necessary to read this with Witsius' work? I'm am interested to know what contribution it makes before I purchase it.

Back in the '90s, the Den Dulk Foundation published 5 vols. of Witsius' works: Economy, parts 1&2, Apostle's Creed, parts 1&2, and Lord's Prayer, a single volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back