Herman Witsius on King William III as a Great Deliverer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
For what true-born Dutchman does not glow with the warmest affection for a prince, whom God, by conferring all manner of accomplishments, has rendered the delight of mankind? Who, like an auspicious star has shined on the world, deeply plunged and sunk in darkness. Who, in a word, from the ashes of his father, is providentially come forth to light, as the genuine phoenix of our days, and appears to be born only for the welfare of his country. When the Netherlands were trodden underfoot, distressed, and just on the brink of ruin, then heaven appointed you to relieve, to deliver them, and repel their calamities. The distressed republic flies for refuge to your bosom, being only sure to find an asylum there.

Your British subjects also, being almost ruined by the wicked designs of their kings, had long ago been chained, enslaved, and become the prey of lawless tyranny, had not your Majesty hastened to relieve them, while spreading out their suppliant hands towards you, nay, and to relieve them with that resolution, prudence and constancy, and with that success which their annals shall declare, to the amazement of posterity, who will hardly believe it. That expedition shall stand transmitted through ages, which was laid with incredible secrecy, notwithstanding so many piercing and watchful eyes, and undertaken with that resolution, in the winter and end of the year, amidst so many fearful dangers of a tempestuous ocean, did preserve and maintain to the queen of Islands, her liberty, her laws, her religion, and whatever is valuable and dear to generous breasts. ...

For more, see:

This is interesting. I recently picked up a biography of William III, as I know little about him. I was pleased to find, from the little I read, that he seemed like a faithful man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back