Help: Calvin on the Trinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRC

Puritan Board Freshman
The following quote is the last line from Calvin's Institutes 1.13.24:

"From this follows the other point: since Christ exercises the office of Teacher under the Head [the Father], he ascribes to the Father the name of God, not to abolish his own deity, but to raise us up to it by degrees" (italics mine)

What does Calvin mean by the italicized statement? Is he refering to a pedagogical method by God to reveal His divine nature to us in stages (Father, Son and Spirit)?

Anyone want to help me out?

It means, I think, that Jesus revealed the Trinity of the Godhead to us in a way that was most conducive to our learning and believing it, namely, economically. He did not simply deliver a revelation of the doctrine of the trinity when he began his ministry. Instead, he showed, demonstrated little by little through his description of the work of the Father, Son, and Spirit for our salvation, that we have a Triune God. Calvin seems to be using the fact that Jesus referred to the Father simply as "God" at times as one supporting example of this.

Which passage of Scripture is Calvin referring to there.

My copy of the Institutes has gone walkies and I'm too indolent to look it up online.

It seems to be simply that Christ showed His deity not all at once in a clear proclamation, but slowly led His disciples to see that He was, in fact, God. I would take it that the "it" to which are being raised up by degrees, is the deity of Christ.

The following journal has some interesting discussion related to Calvin's views on the Trinity. The journal argues in several places that Calvin seemed to shy away from digging deep into the topic.

http://www.prca.org/prtj/apr2010.pdf

AMR

He admits as much at the end of the section of the Trinity. However, he provides pastoral concerns are his reasons for not doing so. He felt that digging deeper would provide a level of ambiguity and difficulty that his intended audience would likely find confusing and discouraging. As many of our academics today suggest a reading of Calvin we tend to forget that he wrote Institutes for the edification of his congregation, rather than as a contribution to the academy. As Muller points out, Calvin was pre- orthodox scholasticism.

My take is similar to Ruben's. Christ took on the role of "Teacher", and referred to the Father as God, instead of himself. In this way, he didn't directly proclaim his diety, but gradually revealed it over time. It's neat how he was senstitive to the weakness and frailty of our flesh, and how he patiently brought us along to faith in who he was.

Blessings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back