Greatest Boxer of All Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
Who do you believe was/is the greatest boxer of all time? I've thought about this a lot and just can't make up my mind, I know there are many boxers I probably haven't considered, so I thought I'd start a thread.

In his prime? Tyson. He would have knocked out both Robinson and Ali. Just a beast in the ring; the most ferocious fighter I have ever seen.

Overall: Robinson.

Thoughts on Archie Moore, Sony Liston, Rocky Marciano, George Foreman or Joe Frazier?

Moore was one of the greatest with his weird peek a boo style, Liston's power was amazing but he fell apart like Ike Ibeabuchi...Rocky was an amazing puncher with dynamite in both hands, who doesn't love the post conversion George or his grill? Frazier's left hook?

Tyson was a beast when Cus was alive and you can see him slowly slide into a life of pure debauchery. A prime, disciplined Tyson, was a machine. His slip, slip, counter was amazing to watch.

j

Fighting arts have improved just like swimming times, pole vaulting and the 100 meter. Whoever the current heavyweight is (probably Russian or some other Slav) would crush Tyson, Ali or Dempsey in their primes.

George Foreman!

To win the heavyweight title at age 42 is nothing short of remarkable. Plus, George confesses Christ, rare among boxers.

Do remember the scene in "Coming to America" where Arsenio Hall plays the barber and the other black characters in the barber shop arguing with that white old timer about Ali versus Rocky Marciano as to the greatest boxer of all time? That is a classic scene! He makes that comment, "of course you whites always have to bring up Marciano!" The way Hall does it is just hilarious.

I LOVE Paul's comment in Corinthians about the perseverance of the Christian walk compared to boxing: "I box, but not as to hit air." Wasted motion leads to expended energy. Very challenging indeed.

Apart from yours truly, it's a toughie. :lol:

Tyson in his prime was definitely a wrecking machine. One of the few heavyweights with the ability to knockout with ONE punch! If he would have played his cards better, he very well could have ended up as the greatest ever.

Right now I don't know. Cassius Clay, perhaps? Joe Lewis?

Fighting arts have improved just like swimming times, pole vaulting and the 100 meter. Whoever the current heavyweight is (probably Russian or some other Slav) would crush Tyson, Ali or Dempsey in their primes.

I don't believe that is true.

As a life long martial artist I can say that styles make fights and a big puncher can always turn a fight around with one shot. It is true the modern Boxer tends to be bigger and that would be a factor.

-----Added 12/29/2009 at 02:33:14 EST-----

Do remember the scene in "Coming to America" where Arsenio Hall plays the barber and the other black characters in the barber shop arguing with that white old timer about Ali versus Rocky Marciano as to the greatest boxer of all time? That is a classic scene! He makes that comment, "of course you whites always have to bring up Marciano!" The way Hall does it is just hilarious.

Did you know Rocky did spar with Ali and floored him? According to reports Rocky, who hadn't boxed in 14 years, trained hard losing 50 lbs and ended up getting the best of Ali.

Interesting history. He died in a plane crash shortly after.

George Foreman!

If you will remember, Rocky Marciano did beat Joe Lewis, but only when Lewis was 137 years old!

If you will remember, Rocky Marciano did beat Joe Lewis, but only when Lewis was 137 years old!
:lol:

I always enjoyed watching Roy Jones. I still remember how he was robbed of his Olympic Gold Medal. He beat the South Korean so badly that it's probably one of the biggest travesties in sports history.

The man made boxing look beautiful.

I think, even in boxing, we need to establish by what criteria we determine "The Greatest."

Personally, I think it has to be far more than a simple guess as to who is likely to win any given bout between the legends. I'm pretty sympathetic to Tim's line of thought, although in the cases of these greats, I wonder if the difference is as pronounced in boxing as it is elsewhere.

My criteria for the best: imagine a poll among the greats listed here, and ask them which possible opponent would give them the most physical and psychological fear to face. There's your answer.

It's not a question of which fighter is toughest to win a decision against. Or who is most technically refined. Or who is the most beautiful to watch. Nor who would likely gain/retain a title against another legend.

I think "The Greatest" would be the fighter that would make any of them get a lump of fear in the throat before stepping in the ring.

By that measure, my vote goes to Tyson.

Ali, Frazier, Marciano, etc. could beat you badly and make you look like a fool, and look pretty good themselves while doing it. But when Tyson says he's going to eat your children, you would have serious doubts over whether that was hyperbole.

I think "The Greatest" would be the fighter that would make any of them get a lump of fear in the throat before stepping in the ring.

By that measure, my vote goes to Tyson.

I think if we remove the "...because he might bite my ear off..." factor then Tyson might not get the nod.

You're quite right. But is it really fair to remove that factor? He spent a lot of time and effort making it a credible threat. :lol:

You're quite right. But is it really fair to remove that factor? He spent a lot of time and effort making it a credible threat. :lol:

You know that it was that fight that is the only PPV fight I've ever purchased. I still remember watching that fight in my living room with my Dad and a good friend and thinking: "He did what?!"

I still remember the hamburger he fought in his big comeback. The guy had his 5 minutes of fame with commercials showing his trainer throwing in the towel.

Going back a ways, I'd vote for Jack Johnson. He was the "Ali" of the early 20th century when folks didn't take kindly to a black man beating a white man in the ring.

I always enjoyed watching Roy Jones. I still remember how he was robbed of his Olympic Gold Medal. He beat the South Korean so badly that it's probably one of the biggest travesties in sports history.

I loved Roy Jones. I refuse to believe that Antonio Tarver knocked him out. It looks so fake.

I used to love watching Sugar Ray fight. He was so incredibly fast, smooth, an artist.

I loved watching Foreman. He could just stand there and take it and then that seemingly slow motion punch would knock a man to the mat. Amazing.

Clay, he was an artist. I couldn't stand his schtick, but he could almost always back up his mouth.

Roy Jones: yep, he made boxing beautiful.

Holyfield was another beautiful fighter to watch.

I could never enjoy watching Tyson, even in his prime. Yes, his punch was amazing, but that was about it.

Frankly, I don't think boxing today is nearly the sport it was in the past.

Anyone else remember the Tate / Weaver fight? That was something else.

I think that every young man should learn to box. There are great lessons to be learned in the ring. For some it is overcoming fear. For others it is overcoming aggression. Yet again, self control. And, much more.

I loved Roy Jones. I refuse to believe that Antonio Tarver knocked him out. It looks so fake.

I thought so too but once Jones tasted defeat he's never been the same. So I would say he was definitely knocked out....TWICE!

He was so good he made it appear as if there was no competition whatsoever. Unfortunately with time athleticism slows and the only way you realize you've gotten slower is when you're on your back.

Julio Cesar Chavez has to be near the top, Won 104 Lost 5, 2 draws, 80 KO's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back