G.C. Berkower's systematics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archlute

Puritan Board Senior
Has anybody read them before? I just picked up the two volumes concerning the Church and the sacraments respectively, and although having only had time to skim, have found them to be quite good. I especially liked his take against apostolic succession, as well as why the minimalizing of our confessions is not the way to advancing ecumenicity regarding partaking of the Lord's Supper among the various church bodies.

The rest of them (about a dozen volumes) are on sale at a great price nearby, and I wanted to know if they are all worth the purchase. I had heard that there were some problems with his volume on the doctrine of Scripture, but other than that I know nothing about the rest. They were endorsed in his day by Martyn Lloyd-Jones, and C.F. Henry, among others.

They are valuable to have for two reasons, neither of which endorse them as a responsible manual of reformed theology. First, they bring reformed theology into dialogue with modern thought. That is good in the sense that it makes the person think about their system and how it can be communicated to those of varying opinion. Secondly, they often show certain core tensions which exist, not in reformed theology itself, but in the way it is sometimes discussed. This means we have to dig deeper into our heritage to find a consensus. There is a third benefit for British-based Presbyterianism, and that is the fact the works introduce us to the life and thought of the Dutch school. That said, he can be disappointing at times as well as quite illuminating.

I have his works on Election and Faith and Sanctification. I haven't read the latter. The former--won't endorse it en toto--but he has some helpful discussions on Roman Catholic and Arminian views of election. It was worth the read, if nothing else. I was warned against that book, but then I read a John Murray review of said book and it was somewhat sympathetic.

Dr. Curt Daniel says he didn't endorse inerrancy & he viewed the eternality of election to be referring to its "depth" rather than its being before time. He recommends you read him with a box of salt in one hand and a Bible in the other.

Joel Beeke, A Reader's Guide to Reformed Literature: An Annotated Bibliography of Reformed Literature:

A word of warning: Avoid G.C. Berkouwer, Holy Scripture, translated by Jack Rogers (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1975). Berkouwer qualifies inerrancy by disassociating it from historical and scientific exactness. He neglects to spell out the dangerous consequences of tolerating arbitrary rejection of selected Scriptures. (p. 15)

Two twentieth-century monographs on providence are noteworthy: Gerrit C. Berkouwer, The Providence of God, translated by Lewis B. Smedes (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1952), asks thought-provoking questions about providence in relation to knowledge, sustenance, government, concurrence, history, miracles, and theodicy. Benjamin B. Farley, The Providence of God (Grand Rapids: Baker, 1988) is the best study of the development of the doctrine of providence throughout history from a Reformed perspective. (p. 29)

See also Gerrit C. Berkouwer's probing 600-page work, Sin, translated by Phillip C. Holtrop (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1971). Berkouwer is particularly helpful on the relationship of sin to the law (Chapter 6) and to the gospel (Chapter 7). (p. 35)

Gerrit C. Berkouwer, Divine Election, translated by Hugo Bekker (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1960), is imbalanced on election and weak on reprobation, as has been pointed out in Alvin L. Baker, Berkouwer's Doctrine of Election: Balance or Imbalance? (Phillipsburg, NJ: Presbyterian and Reformed, 1981). (p. 39)

For a deeper discussion, read Benjamin B. Warfield, The Person and Work of Christ, edited by Samuel G. Craig (Philadelphia: Presbyterian and Reformed, 1950) and the companion volumes by Gerrit C. Berkouwer, The Person of Christ and The Work of Christ (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1954, 1965)...Berkouwer's volumes discuss the historical pronouncements of the ecumenical councils and the Reformed confessions as well as the nature, unity, and sinlessness of Christ. They provide an in-depth discussion of Christ's work in the states of humiliation and exaltation. While Berkouwer is fully abreast of current theological literature, he is too often influenced by it, and takes a position too moderate or vague on many issues. The value of Berkouwer lies in his grasp of Reformed thinkers and presentation of issues in theology. He asks and begins to answer some of the most difficult questions. (p. 46)

Berkouwer, Gerrit C. Faith and Justification. Translated by Lewis B. Smedes. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1954. Helpful but ambiguous in places. (p. 58)

Noteworthy titles include Gerrit C. Berkouwer, Faith and Sanctification, translated by John Vriend (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1952); ... (p. 61)

G.C. Berkouwer, The Church, translated by James E. Davison (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1976) emphasizes the unity, catholicity, apostolicity, and holiness of the church as it expounds its true ministry. Indecisive and provocative in places, it is enlightening and edifying elsewhere. (p. 68)

More detailed but not always reliable are John S. Stone, The Christian Sacraments (New York: Anson D.F. Randolph, 1866), and Gerrit C. Berkouwer, The Sacraments, translated by Hugo Bekker (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1969). Berkouwer provides an able critique of the teaching of Romanism and Lutheranism as well as various contemporary views of the sacraments. (p. 83)

Derek Thomas and John Tweeddale, The Essential Commentaries for a Preacher's Library (2006 ed.), p. 132:

Berkouwer, G.C. Studies in Dogmatics. 12 Volumes. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1961.

Modified reformed theology from a Dutch perspective. Tends towards neo-orthodoxy.

It was explained to me some years ago that the earlier volumes tend to be better than the later ones, in that, when he began writing, he was a critic of neo-orthodoxy but later came to accept it, or some of it. So, I suppose one needs to take the volumes on a case-by- case basis.

Does anyone have a photo of Berkhouwer that can be posted? I don't think I've ever seen a photo of the guy. And, what are his dates?

It was explained to me some years ago that the earlier volumes tend to be better than the later ones, in that, when he began writing, he was a critic of neo-orthodoxy but later came to accept it, or some of it. So, I suppose one needs to take the volumes on a case-by- case basis.

Does anyone have a photo of Berkhouwer that can be posted? I don't think I've ever seen a photo of the guy. And, what are his dates?

Dates: (1904-96) Although some give the dates as 1903-1995 and say he died aged 92. I am unable to confirm which is correct. :)

Thanks, all. That's of great help in assessing the set as a whole. It looks like there are a few volumes that would be of interest.

I did appreciate his interaction with modern theological trends (for the 1960's at least) in the two volumes that I had purchased. It is always a challenge to move from merely restating classical Reformed thought, to actually using it to engage modern issues. The first approach is helpful for edifying the body of Christ, but the second is necessary for pushing the kingdom out into the world. I have found Horton's Covenant and Eschatology to be on this latter level, and I found some of that in Berkouwer as well.

Thanks again :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back