Flu panic spreads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward

Puritanboard Commissioner
Reaction to the flu outbreak is reaching the panic stage in Texas.

The 88,000 student Fort Worth school district has closed until further notice (some reports say through the end of next week), scattered other districts around the state are also closing.

"The Fort Worth Independent School District will temporarily close all schools until further notice, effective Thursday, April 30, 2009. Schools will likely not reopen any sooner than Monday, May 11."

Fort Worth ISD - News

School athletics in Texas have been canceled statewide through May 11.

UIL competition suspended because of swine flu | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News

Some people enjoy panicking, it seems.

Calderón appears to be using the panic to extend his powers rather broadly.

According to history, that is inevitable. I don't know of any mass hysteria that led to LESS government.

According to history, that is inevitable. I don't know of any mass hysteria that led to LESS government.

The American Revolution?

Wasn't that revolution against unlawful tyranny and not mass hysteria? Did not only 5% of the American populace actually support the revolution?

Theognome

I was joking, Bill. But I like the democratic quality of a 5% revolution.

It's the media that causing the panic!

Same thing with the economy. They don't say that 8% unemployment means 92% of people still have jobs. And one thing I remember from my Economics courses in college is that 6% unemployment is considered "full employment." So people are panicking over an unemployment rate that is 2% over full employment.

Though I can see how a spreading disease can cause panic more easily than economics. But the media should be telling people to remain calm, and not constantly relating it to the Spanish Influenza of 1918. No one really knows what it is going to do yet. And in the end there is no point in worrying about it anyway. God ordained the flu, and he ordained whether I will get it or not, and what happens to me if I do.

I love this "H1N1 Flu (previously known as Swine Flu)." It reminds me of the line: "the artist previously known as Prince." :lol:

Man, you've got to be over the hill PC when you are even afraid to offend pigs!

Trying to find a "Mexican Pig" on Google to use for my graphic in another thread, I was looking for a garishly painted ceramic pig. Instead, what popped up was a bunch of overly made up, flamboyantly dressed, big hailed, hispanic women.

I agree that the panic has been induced largely through media hype. But, the World Health Org. DID raise their alert level to a 5 (one below the pandemic level) today. Those of us who work with immune compromised and vulnerable populations have huge "pandemic plan" contingency manuals that we are dusting off about this time.

If I did not work with older folks, my level of interest in this whole thing would be pretty much a shrugged shoulder. The flu is an inconvenience that if I get it buys me a few days watching cable news and posting on the PB. But, for those of us working with the elderly (or if you have very young children), prudence requires more intentionality. Providence does not obviate the need to exercise means or to employ common sense preventative measures.

U.S. Human Cases of Swine Flu Infection
(As of April 29, 2009, 11:00 AM ET)

Confirmed cases

Arizona 1
California 14
Indiana 1
Kansas 2
Massachusetts 2
Michigan 2
Nevada 1
New York 51
Ohio 1
Texas 16

TOTAL COUNTS 91 cases 1 death (Texas)
International Human Cases of Swine Flu Infection

Last edited:
When ebola hit's the scene then I'll be concerned. As of right now I'll trust the Lord in his providence.

Anything that can kill one third of the number of people killed every month by bee stings deserves mass panic. I think one tenth of the North American populace should be walking around with bee veils on, carrying grounded lighting rods with rubber gloves (and sunscreen).

Anything that can kill one third of the number of people killed every month by bee stings deserves mass panic. I think one tenth of the North American populace should be walking around with bee veils on, carrying grounded lighting rods with rubber gloves (and sunscreen).

Shhh. Don't let that sort of information out. We don't want jack booted thugs burning our hives! These millions of ferocious killers that we routinely get riled in our daily work deserve better.

Let me get this straight...

We are in a panic because the flu might be a danger to our children?

How many babies will be aborted this year? Why isn't there a panic about that?

DMcFadden;

They raised the threat level to Pandemic per the news..as two more states have confirmed cases..

but even then, there have been how many deaths thus far?? And how many people die from the normal flu each year?? And this is a pandemic?

KMK,

I agree, maybe we should alert the media to all those deaths by abortion each year..maybe there will finally be a world wide panic..

KMK,

I agree, maybe we should alert the media to all those deaths by abortion each year..maybe there will finally be a world wide panic..

I think they know. They're just suppressing it because more people are interested in uncontrolled mass death than controlled mass death.

I agree that the panic is media hype. My prudence (NOT panic) is merely because of my compromised population here in our retirement community.

But, obviously someone did NOT get the memo not to scare the population. Here is the Veep this AM:
Speaking on NBC's "Today," Biden, a longtime Amtrak rider who has commuted for decades daily from Delaware to Washington, D.C., said he wouldn't advise family necessarily against going to Mexico, the source of the H1N1 outbreak, but he wouldn't tell them to get into any small area like a subway car, automobile, classroom or airplane.

"I would tell members of my family, and I have, I wouldn't go anywhere in confined places right now," Biden said. "It's not that its going to Mexico, it's that you are in a confined aircraft when one person sneezes, it goes everywhere through the aircraft. That's me."

:lol::rolleyes::confused:

DMcFadden;

They raised the threat level to Pandemic per the news..as two more states have confirmed cases..

but even then, there have been how many deaths thus far?? And how many people die from the normal flu each year?? And this is a pandemic?

KMK,

Pandemic merely refers to the spread, the percent of the population that has been or will get the disease; it is not related to the seriousness of the disorder.

When ebola hit's the scene then I'll be concerned. As of right now I'll trust the Lord in his providence.

:) I'll have to call you out on this one John. Are you saying that you'll not "trust the Lord in his providence" if "ebola hits the scene"? Hmmmmm
What if the creek rises? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back