ESV Reformation Study Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too will will suffer the limb with Sola. I do not have a fear of Study Bibles, but I do not think they are a good starting ground for MOST Christians. Simply becasue, rightly or wrongly, I do not believe most Christians read the notes as critically as the men and women on this board (which demonstates you are already aware of the danger or relying too heavily on the notes). Nor do I think the average Christian reads as much secondary material as the folks on this board.

Personally, while I am not crazy about Study Bibles myself, those I would go after would be the creedal Bibles, those that come from one perspective, so thier presuppositions are on the table. Those who come from various editors, will, almost out of default, have contradictions in among the notes, creating a kind of congnitive dissadence among the individuals who rely too heavily on the notes.

Originally posted by SolaScriptura
I strongly discourage people from using study Bibles. No matter how "good" they may be. All they do is create lazy, unthinking Christians. Want proof? Consider the Scoffield Study Bible. 'Nuff said.

The Scofield notes are inspired
:lol:

Originally posted by Sancta-fixation
I too will will suffer the limb with Sola. I do not have a fear of Study Bibles, but I do not think they are a good starting ground for MOST Christians.

I too will throw my hat into this ring. Study Bibles may have a very limited purpose, but I prefer to teach people not to be afraid of their own, Spirit-guided interpretation of the text itself. My experience with them is that they may be wrong in their conclusions (and Study Bibles and other helps would be of assistance here), but with time they get more comfortable and well-versed with the text.

My favorite Bible study at my church is one where, several years ago, I decided to stop providing study notes and require *them* to do the work. I would give them the assigned passage ahead of time, and they would have to dig in, making use of concordances and cross-references. Then, only after they'd done the work would they be allowed to consult a commentary or Bible Study notes.

At first they balked; complained and whined almost incessantly. But in time they came to see the value of doing the work themselves. Now, even though I still attend, I'm not especially needed.

So Study Bibles are not, In my humble opinion, the best way to go. That doesn't mean people shouldn't get them (I have quite a few myself), but perhaps we should warn our people about the very real possibility of becoming dependent upon them.

"The Reformation Study Bible "“ updated and modified with the popular English Standard Version. The New Geneva Study Bible, later renamed The Reformation Study Bible, is the first Bible since the 1560 Geneva Bible to contain study tools rooted in the theology recovered during the Protestant Reformation. They are the product of a seven-year effort of Dr. R.C. Sproul and fifty other scholars.

* General Editor: Dr. R.C. Sproul
* Associate Editor: Dr. Keith A. Mathison
* Published by: Ligonier Ministries
*Produced and distributed by: Presbyterian and Reformed Publishing Company
*ISBN: 0-87552-786-8" - https://ecom.ligonier.org/ecom/product.asp?idProduct=REF21S

"R. C. Sproul and a team of more than fifty scholars have collaborated to produce a new study Bible that will help readers understand the great doctrines and themes of the Christian faith. The first study Bible based on the English Standard Version, The Reformation Study Bible is the perfect choice for men and women that want to study God´s word in a language they can understand." - http://www.prpbooks.com/inventory.html?target=indiv_title&id=902

"The Reformation Study Bible helps the reader explore the awesome sovereignty of God -- it's a wonderful guide for anyone who desires to understand the great, historical doctrines of the church embedded in God's Word." -- Joni Eareckson Tada

"This is not a faddish study Bible. It will be around for a while, perhaps generations. That is because the great truths that it highlights are always waiting there to be mined again and again by a new generation. This will be our family's Bible and the one that I use in my preaching and teaching." -- Michael Horton

"The Reformation Study Bible is the perfect combination. The notes produced by Dr. R. C. Sproul and others provide the most reliable and helpful commentary in print today, while the text of the English Standard Version is the most accurate and literary translation of the Bible available in English. This is the gold standard for study Bibles, and I will be commending it to my congregation and other serious students of the Scriptures." --Philip Graham Ryken, Senior Minister, Tenth Presbyterian Church

I ordered the leather edition from http://www.wtsbooks.com/0875527868.html which is the best price I could find, and the only place where I found IT IS ALREADY IN STOCK!!! I probably would have ordered it from Amazon.com otherwise.

I would have preferred that the Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible came out in ESV...I'm holding out for that. It includes the 3FU and WCF and catechisms tied to the scripture notes. I also heard that the Reformation Study Bible doesn't even contain maps in the back...

Just got a new leather ESV Reformation Study Bible yesterday. I am sitting here sniffing it now, and in just a few minutes I'm going to quit sniffing in and read it.:banana:

Originally posted by crhoades
I would have preferred that the Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible came out in ESV...I'm holding out for that. It includes the 3FU and WCF and catechisms tied to the scripture notes. I also heard that the Reformation Study Bible doesn't even contain maps in the back...

Yeah, from what I've read, I would have much preferred an ESV Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible. For me, the weight of the choice came down to which translation I would rather read. Although I might prefer the Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible notes, I much prefer the ESV over the NIV.

I used to like the NIV, but have since come to the conclusion that the NIV translation is not literal enough for my liking. Because the NIV is overly simplified, it has a way of discouraging meditation on the Scriptures.

Originally posted by Apologist4Him
Originally posted by crhoades

Yeah, from what I've read, I would have much preferred an ESV Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible. For me, the weight of the choice came down to which translation I would rather read. Although I might prefer the Spirit of the Reformation Study Bible notes, I much prefer the ESV over the NIV.

I used to like the NIV, but have since come to the conclusion that the NIV translation is not literal enough for my liking. Because the NIV is overly simplified, it has a way of discouraging meditation on the Scriptures.

:handshake:agreed. I already dumped some $$ on a gen. leather SofRSB so I get to read that alongside the ESV...When the SofRSB goes ESV, I'll have an NIV one to sell!

Originally posted by Scott
WHat is the preference for ESV?

Hi Scott :)

I prefer literal translations over thought for thought translations. I do not even consider paraphrases. The reason I prefer literal translations is because there is less interpretation. The downside (and upside depending on how you look at it) of literal translations is the work involved in coming to a correct interpretation. The translation philosophy for thought translations is to interprete difficult passages for the reader to make the meaning clearer, with the hope of helping the reader through communicating the accurate meaning of the text.

If you would like more information on the ESV, check out: http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/ And information about the NIV can be found at: http://www.ibs.org/niv/

I think the following is a good read in comparing Bible translations: http://faith.propadeutic.com/questions.html

Originally posted by OS_X
Originally posted by SolaScriptura All - and I do mean ALL - you get when you purchase a Study Bible is something that has been written to satisfy a particular niche within society and that niche's perceived needs/interests.

You could say the same thing about Catechisms and Confessions.....

Kerry - hold-it-pardner! NO - the catechisms and confessions were NOT assembled and published to satisfy perceived needs/interests! Read them - please - they are there because the Gospel was under attack - these studies were written to defend the Gospel and educate accurate and essential doctrines of the Faith. That's why there are Scripture references for each doctrinal topic.

If it could be said that "needs/interests" were those of fighting for the Gospel to prevail against heresy and schism of the day...then YES - the confessions provide that. However - the stakes were high back then. 100's of thousands of Christians died to see to it - the Word of God didn't fail to communicate the essential Truth of the Reformation - Justification by Faith alone; through Christ alone. Example: Guido de Bray (sp?) author of the Belgic Confession was executed by the Inquisition for administering Communion (as taught by Paul.)

Study helps for Bibles like the NIV; Rhyrie are N O T H I N G like the situation with the historic confessions. Yet - the Reformation editions of the bible we are now getting ARE in the sense that they uphold, honor and utilize the astonishingly noble - powerful - and essential events in history that not only preserved the Gospel but made it possible for the common man to own his own volume of the Holy Scriptures - and the freedom of personal study!

Next time you pick-up your bible --- think about all the blood that was shed (by the Reformers) to put it into your hands, in the first place. Their "study-helps" got them killed. How glib, ignorant, indulged and arrogant we all are to forget their sacrifices!

With profound gratitude and solemn pondering.....

Robin :candle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back