Demons and Real Estate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
So we are shopping the market for our first home to buy. Because I often hear of hauntings in homes and paranormal activity, should this be of any thought when buying? Should I look into any available history of the house? Funny question to ask, I know. It just peaked my interest. Thanks!

Here is another angle: demonic activity is often (not always) associated with drug use (assuming, of course, that one believes demonic activity is real. I do. Some don't, but speaking hypothetically...) If meth heads or crackheads or the like lived there and yet managed to hide overt activity, it could be in the walls and you can get sick later on. You see these stories pop up from time to time.

Here is another angle: demonic activity is often (not always) associated with drug use (assuming, of course, that one believes demonic activity is real. I do. Some don't, but speaking hypothetically...) If meth heads or crackheads or the like lived there and yet managed to hide overt activity, it could be in the walls and you can get sick later on. You see these stories pop up from time to time.

Isn't hiding overt activity being covert. :)

I grew up in a house reputed to be haunted. Most of the strange sounds could be blamed on the cat - unless the cat was in the same room at the time. And the cat would sometimes stare at an apparently unoccupied point in space. We didn't have to lock things up - our superstitious criminally inclined neighbors left our stuff alone.

So you shouldn't overlook the potential benefits.

On the other hand, a ghastly murder or violent crime on the property can adversely impact re-sale value, and don't touch a house that's been used to cook meth - the toxins are almost impossible to get rid of.

and don't touch a house that's been used to cook meth - the toxins are almost impossible to get rid of.

House in my area about ten years ago was like that. It went from a 160k house to a house the Sheriff's office wouldn't let you enter. The guy who bought it spent a year renovating it, putting new walls in, all that stuff, etc.

Please consider the glorious teaching of Christ's pre-eminence, supremacy, and fulness, and of the believer's completeness in Him, as revealed in Colossians 2. "Touch not, taste not, handle not" are rules which belong to a superstitious, will-worshipping, fleshly mindset. But as we have received Christ Jesus the Lord so we are to walk in Him.

I would also ask "in what sense haunted?" Even though I hold to the possibility of demonic manifestations, I am skeptical of most of these reports. A lot of these are about con men wanting to swindle the bourgeoisie.

On the other hand, as I noted before, if it were home to Satanic activity, or those who believed they were engaging in Satanic activity, then they might have engaged in said rites. So not only was there drug use (which chemicals would get into walls, floor, and ceilings) but quite possibly sex magick. So don't sleep on the floors.

Of course, and this is going to get misunderstood, I am not saying demons were conjured or anything, but the rather human effects already mentioned will have gone on in the house and could have health problems.

Because I often hear of hauntings in homes and paranormal activity

What are the sources of this information? People who speak often of divination, enchantments, witches, charmers, familiar spirits, wizards, and necromancers are not to be your counselors. (Deut 18)

If a house is reputed to be haunted then it makes financial sense to buy it as it should be cheaper.

I have a real estate license and have sold and bought many properties here in Florida. I have had clients asking about a homes history. Florida Real Estate Law does not require any releasing of information concerning supposed "hauntings"; only issues with the property itself.

I would be careful with putting any weight on such things anyways. We do not have to fear any rumors, etc. of hauntings. As His elect, we do not have the spirit of fear.

The house I grew up in, amid a Native American culture, was rumored to be haunted by the ghost of a former missionary who had died in the house. Some of our neighbors would not set foot in the place for fear of the ghost. But we lived there, of course, with no ill effect. And believers in the community learned to put aside their cultural fears and enter the house as well.

The fact that we did not shutter the house because of a supposed ghost (which was the local practice when someone died inside a house), but instead lived there without worry, turned out to be a powerful witness to that fact that in Christ we need not fear what the world fears. When someone would ask why we lived in a ghost house, we would explain about Jesus.

Could the same message be communicated if a Christian moved into a "haunted house" in a different cultural setting? I think perhaps it could.

Our God is in control of every square millimeter of this or any other house you might consider. Go in without any fear.

I'm selling a house in Georgia and noticed the disclosure form includes any insurance claims, litigation, any component of the meth industry, and it seems like it had something about major crimes. All of this could become an issue when you go to resell either because your state might have a disclosure that would chase people away or anyone even half-way local would know the "Jones murder" took place on the property and devalue its worth.

We have unexplained situations in my house where things fall to the floor. We just recently went through a spate of them. Personally, it seems kind of cool that we can't describe everything that happens. And as I said at the beginning, we're best off fearing God alone.

Thanks for the info. Sorry, I haven't been on the board in a while as we are house hunting. Wow, house prices are super expensive right now. It's discouraging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back