Comma Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread turned out much more entertaining than I expected. Thanks for the input everyone.

Yet you omitted it in that very sentence. Intentional?

Being cute, I think.
Yeah, just kidding around...or, maybe I don't have a good handle on the rules of grammar... we may never know.

---------- Post added at 06:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 AM ----------

And we could start a new thread on apostrophes and spelling.
:oops:

I never could spell worth a lick, and "spellcheck" has made it worse. Slop it down on paper and let the computer sort it is the new mantra. Why did I spend all that time in grade school? ;)

The Oxford comma is a fundamental of the faith. Sometimes, it makes a big difference:

Indeed, as in this case:

I would like to thank my parents, Ayn Rand, and God. (Correct, with that ever-important comma.)

OR

I would like to thank my parents, Ayn Rand and God. ("Correct" according to AP style, but ambiguous if not inadvertently blasphemous.)

Fundamental of the faith, indeed!

Originally Posted by CalvinandHodges
There is even another option: 3. Johnny put down the fork, picked up the spoon, and, proceeded to eat his soup.
I don't think so. I'm not familiar with a rule that allows for a comma after a conjunction in that way.
certainly not! that really would be on a par with Eats, shoots, and leaves

The Oxford comma is a fundamental of the faith. Sometimes, it makes a big difference:

Indeed, as in this case:

I would like to thank my parents, Ayn Rand, and God. (Correct, with that ever-important comma.)

OR

I would like to thank my parents, Ayn Rand and God. ("Correct" according to AP style, but ambiguous if not inadvertently blasphemous.)

with the possibility of a solecism of that kind looming, I think personally I wouldn't leave it all up to the humble comma, but go for a belt-and-braces approach, something like:
...firstly my parents, secondly Ayn Rand, but of course most importantly,....

I still remember my second grade teacher telling us that while many in that day (1966) were dispensing with the Oxford comma, she preferred its use. Since I really liked my second grade teacher, I have done so, thinking of her nearly every time I do.

Indeed, as in this case:

OR

That is a great example. I had fun reading the first sentence just knowing where you were going with it.
There is even another option: 3. Johnny put down the fork, picked up the spoon, and, proceeded to eat his soup.

I don't think so. I'm not familiar with a rule that allows for a comma after a conjunction in that way.

The commas flanking "and" actually confuse me. Now I have no idea what you are saying with that and. What is the intended function of and in that sentence?

Hey Rob. Your 3rd option is really, REALLY bothering my wife. Not sure that she will be able to sleep well tonight. Just thought you should know. :lol:

Hi:

The use that I have proposed above is archaic - particularly used by Chaucer, Shakespeare, and the Puritans whose works have not been updated. The general use of the comma is to create a pause when reading - which is also the functions of the semi-colon and the colon as well (which are stronger pauses). Writing is an attempt to reproduce speaking. The setting off of "and" in commas was to put the emphasis on the word: Johnny put down his fork, picked up his spoon - and - proceeded to eat his soup.

Hope this clears things up.

Blessings,

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back