New commands by Christ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
Three New Commands You Must Not Neglect

How would one answer someone who believed this?

At times Christ interpreted old commands in a fresh way. At other times He carried forward exact commands previously given to Jews under the Old Covenant. But He also made new laws appropriate for the New Testament people of God. And all commands from Him are non-negotiable for believers.

I would like to see a little more continuity between the OT and NT acknowledged.

With the exception of the dietary and ceremonial laws, I can't recall a single OT commandment that wasn't carried over into the New Covenant in some shape or form. Sure the circumstances changed since we depend on Christ for the forgiveness and mercy of God instead of sacrifices for forgiveness, but the overall picture hasn't changed. Nothing he said regarding laws wasn't new in the context of the Old Testament.

This person may say that "all commandments from [Christ] are non-negotiable for believers", but what about the ones from God? Do not covet, do not bear false witness, do not murder, do not steal..etc. Are those negotiable? No, but this person is implying that they are.

This concerns me, for how can the creature, who is sinful and never deserved an ounce of grace, barter with God almighty, the creator?

The thought there maybe Christ's comment on some laws recorded in Mathew's account of the sermon on the mount. Work on a careful exegesis of the text and make your own decision on what exactly he is doing with the commands referenced.

I think when all is said and done, you will find that our Lord gave a "new fulness" to the whole of the law, ceremonial, civil and moral, in a new New Testament context.

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:17-19)

We need to study God's Word to see how every one of these Mosaic laws is fulfilled in the proper way. The above passage agrees with this one.

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.(II Tim 3:16-17)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back