Coffee Brewing Methods

Favourite Coffee Brewing Method

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a big fan of the Keurig system. Here is a demo. You can get a great cup of coffee in 30 seconds. Same temp, same cup every time. You can pick from a variety of coffee types or go for a variety pack of k-cups to try a bunch of different kinds. No wasted coffee, no clean-up. Think I'll have a cup right now as a matter of fact.

I use a perculator but it is on its last legs. Any suggestions? How does the 'french press' work? How many cups can you make?

You can buy press pots ranging from a couple of cups up to around 16 or more. I like the Bodum™ press it's easy to get replacement parts for.

You also need a burr grinder because you want the ground to be more coarse and consistent than what you get in pre-ground regular coffee. When I first got my press I used the grinder in the grocery store set on the coarsest setting.

Place coffee in pot, pour in almost boiling water, steep for 2-5 minutes, press grounds to the bottom and drink. Pour leftover coffee into a carafe or it will get bitter.

I've found you can make poor quality (read cheap) coffee beans taste pretty good by varying the steep time.

Café cubano or regular expresso but I have drip every morning.

jm
PS: I don't mind a little sludge and grit in my cup.

Ok, I tried the cowboy coffee and ya know, it wasn't bad at a all, a little thick but it tasted kind of like espresso.

Which brings me to my question. I use to have a fancy espresso maker with the froth arm but it doesn't steam like it use to so I was out tonight looking and found a stove top espresso maker for $20 bucks. I've never had stove top espresso before and was wondering if it tastes different and if so, how much different?

Thanks.

j

It should be $20.00 well spent. You may find your coffee does not have the same smoothness as with an expensive machine, but I can tell you after having lived in Europe, more Europeans use the the stovetop (Moka) method at home than they do the expensive machines. I use a very nice one from Bialati.

I have a French Press sitting on my desk - here it is universally referred to as a coffee plunger. I don't see why it is considered a time consuming way to make coffee. I put a spoonful of coffee in the plunger, pour on hot water and stir. Then take it back to my desk and let it sit for a few minutes while I get back to work, then plunge it and pour into a mug. All up about a minute or two of effort per cup of coffee.

Mmmmm, coffee. :coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back